Edwards rv5 vacuum pump for purging EHO?

Amy thoughts on this unit?

Mod edit: RV5 115/230V, 1-ph, 50/60Hz, Factory set to 230V for Europe

For what application?

,9 cu ft vacuum oven

1 Like

so you threw the distillation tag in there why?

Ethanol recovery with cold trap

as in you’re finishing EHO in a vac oven, and want to know if a particular vacuum pump is useful and you tagged that process as “distillation” ?

around here (yep cannabis is weird), “distillation” and “distillate” are generally reserved for the process of distilling cannabinoids under high vacuum.

by tagging your “will this pump work with my vac oven” as pertaining to “distillation”, you are implying a requirement for a much more powerful vacuum pump that you need.

it also makes it harder for folks looking to solve the same issue as yourself to locate an answer. (So I’ve edited your title, moved your post, and changed the tags).

5 Likes

I would tend to use a diaphragm based vacuum pump for this particular duty.

2 Likes

Thanks for the redirect. So is the pump a good option or not ?

1 Like

link the specs.
otherwise you’re insisting folks go look it up in order to help you…because it is not a pump folks are going to be running on a 0.9cu.ft oven.

will it work? sure. if you don’t drown it repeatedly.

would I throw it away if it came with my oven? No, but I’d find it a better home.

would I buy it for a 0.9cu.ft oven? No!

if I was going to set a Rotory Vane pump up to die on a vac oven (you’ve got a cold trap, you might not kill it) I would throw something cheaper at the problem.

say

or even

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-cfm-two-stage-vacuum-pump-61176.html

1 Like

@Lenny yes it will work

2 Likes

Agreed. It will absolutely work. Cold trap will certainly help.

Just seems like a lot of money for not the right tool…the cheap RV pumps are also the wrong tool, but they’re cheaper, so their early death isn’t quite so tragic.

A diaphragm pump would be happier being assigned that task, and could be had for about the same price.

2 Likes

He could just get a cheap rotary vane if he’s using a cold trap.

12cfm 2stage 155$ free shipping

1 Like

Wow!

That is certainly more suck for the buck than the cheap options I usually see pulling vac oven duty!

3 Likes

I already went thru one of those blue hvac ones, fucking around with pumping up brownie mix. Apparently vegetable oil is corrosive to vacuum pumps😅

That Robinair pump doesn’t seem to have an oil mist filter available or even a way to attach one. I have one that’s been sitting around that I have not really used for anything because of that reason. The exhaust flange is weird and I don’t see how anything would attach to it. Do you happen to (or have in the past) use that particular pump?

EDIT: Actually, never mind. I think I just found a solution:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRUM-IahrV4/?taken-by=henryholsters

1 Like

Understand that I’m not calling the ronbinair a good solution. Just sufficient. With caveats.

I recommend cold trap and a check valve between the pump & the oven to prevent vacuum pump oil from diffusing or being sucked into your oven.

If you’re running ethanol in the oven, then a cold trap is even more important.

I haven’t gotten a pump up to the auto-ignition temp of ethanol by swapping out the vac oil with ethanol, but I have heard tell of it being achieved, and the description included spitting fire in the operators face.

1 Like

On bigger ovens, dry scroll pumps make me happy…

3 Likes

That’s all I use these days if I can help it

2 Likes

I get the impression they don’t like liquid ethanol a whole lot. I’ve only got a single example that I think was killed that way, and it wasn’t actually killed on my watch, so I’m guessing at the actual cause, but given the duties it drew, it seems like a reasonable guess.