Edwards rv5 vacuum pump for purging EHO?

I’m sure they don’t love it, but I’ve sucked liquid ethanol and even liquid terpenes through with no lasting harm in the past.

1 Like

@lenny no its not a good option its overkill and damaging to the pump and you will be wasting lots of money on rebuilding the pump and pump will stop creating vacuum very fast because seals will be gone.

best to use is chem resistant diaphragm pump, water aspirator or cheap diaphragm pump when you can dispose of it once its gone and get another one.

1 Like

You are a good man to me sometime without even realising.

I have a vacpump on a window cill, in full sun to make sure it get nice a warm during operation.
It never occurred to me that it could decide it doesn’t want to be a pump anymore and transform it’s self into a dragon lolol…
What’s the worst that can happen, flames out of the exhaust port ?
So turn it off, wrap it in a fire blanket, let it cool down i suppose.

Lung emphysema from breathing exhaust oil fumes. NEVER vent a RV/oil pump into a working area without appropriate filters!

2 Likes

Yeah man, thank you, I get that.
I have my pump outside for this reason.

Thanks for all the advise/information. The reason I asked the question is because the pump came with oven. It seems I should replace the pump and maybe sell it . So I’ll ask anther ((probably stupid) question what is this pump typically used for?

:thinking: @midsfactory nailed it (see edits).

Which gets us to “run what you brung”.

Unless the pump is un-used, you’re unlikely to get more than 1/2 retail value for it. It is not a bad pump. Just not well matched to the task.

I’m guessing you got the setup used…

It would be more appropriate if you we’re running BHO rather than EHO, but if you’ve got a decent cold trap on there and keep it charged, it will definitely get the job done.

I don’t believe it is up for short path work. No clue what else you might find for it to do.

1 Like

It will will actually run decently on SPD if you are using upto 5L boiling flask on real US/Canadian glass (not AI, LS, BVV.ledab of other china importers). I know many people using 3-4cfm pumps and have great product.

1 Like

What was the ultimate vacuum?

Edit: 1.5 x 10-3 torr

Which for some reason I did not recognize as 1.5microns Hg

@Alentia is correct; it’s valid option for a small SPD

@Lenny posting a link to the pump specs would have been appropriate.(fixed)

1 Like

What do you have in mind for a “cheap diaphragm pump”? The cheapest I’ve seen is a 70$ 19/l hr one off of aliexpress and I can bet that doesn’t go down to 29.9hg on a vac oven.

something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thomas-Vacuum-Pump-607BA44-1137-115VAC/323700395962?hash=item4b5e0c0fba:g:aZ8AAOSwh5Zcawle
or this

used benz is always better and more reliable than brand new Jiangnan

2 Likes

Point well taken

I run tbe 3cfm harbor freight on a 20L roto. Pulls 29/30. I can’t kill it. Never even changed the oil . I bought it as a temporary vac and damn it’s my little Thomas the tank engine.

2 Likes

sound advice!!

I killed three used Benz before switching to EV’s…but my wife got more than 100k miles out of the first one & I only paid $100 for it.

it came in the door, single owner, with the odometer broken at 300k, and based on the 70k she has put on her Leaf in only 3 years, 100k is a very conservative estimate for 10 years of commuting (probably in excess of 200k).

1 Like