Dumping chemicals on “hot” hemp

Hello,
Dumping chemicals on “hot” hemp to push THC levels below .03%. This information comes from the Good Lab in Colorado Springs and they are about to talk about it in a conference to be held in March 2020 (see link below). Any idea what (mix of) products they are dumping on “hot hemp”?

https://www.coscc.org/meetings/

If there’s a method to do this that’s interesting. The fact that the limit is actually 0.3% already puts up a red flag on these people though in my mind

I dont really see much value in doing such a thing, considering once your hemp is “hot” it’s out of compliance and its likely some states would see this as subversion of the law (once you know it’s hot you have to destroy it immediately, conducting a process like this would mean you’re purposefully leaving noncompliant material in the ground), versus states like VT who have acceptable waste programs for when THC is concentrated due to extraction and is then removed and destroyed all within the confines of a registered lab.

If this method is viable and could take compliant but high plants, say 0.2%, and lower thc levels prior to extraction then I’d say maybe. However, I like to keep the plants natural and introduce the chemicals in the lab where there’s more control

They probably aren’t talking about dumping chemicals on hemp biomass directly. From what I took away it looks like thc remediated cbd isolate. These are most likely from a “proprietary” process.

I didn’t bother to read the link, though I should have. If its THC remediated isolate then what would make the process at all novel?

1 Like

The problem with cannabinoids is mostly in the past all efforts were to extract the plant, the molecules remained mostly the same.For the user of the drug the biggest dangers were dirty solvents used during the extraction, and contaminates in the biomass.

Then along came the explosion of the refinement of the extract, this brought the beginnings of molecular arrangement into the picture (isomers/ byproducts). At this point the users of the drug are consuming cannabinoids that are largely untested with unknown byproducts. Due to economics the producer must sell the batch, or end up broke. No other drug producing companys have this attitude, except for the cannabinoid industry. Most drugs go through trials to see if they work/and are safe. The industry has gotten to the point that people are just smart enough to be dangerous, With it they carry the attitude that " it’s just weed… it won’t hurt anybody". Before you embark on producing novel cannabinoids, you must understand fully what you are doing and have the efficacy and ethics to fully make sure your product is safe for human consumption.Making something new is great, just don’t give it out to other people.

7 Likes

Not much to read…

Greg and Teri will report on a troubling trend seen at thier lab: toxic sludge in CBD products created in an effort to scrub out the THC. Seriously. People are dumping chemicals on “hot” hemp to push THC levels below .03% and thus creating potential safety hazards for our patients. See for yourself at this important meeting.

Which reads as post extraction isomerization and/or absorbents used to “remediate” distillate to me.

I’m with @Soxhlet, the limit is 0.3%, so NaCl crystals should be coadministered

3 Likes

Greg has some interesting ideas over there thats for sure lol

1 Like

Do you still have chiller for sale ? @TheCrudeDude

1 Like

yes I do

We are a Swiss extraction company and I have a contact in Colorado Springs who told me that the new trend was to either spray or powder a mix of chemicals on fresh hemp in order to lower the THC level below 0.3%. It does not seem to be a post extraction process. I am not trying to find a “SOP” (we do not grow our extraction materials) I am just a bit worried about this type of practice and wanted to find out if some of you guys heard about it. Thank you

1 Like

I know there are companies out there who are “rinsing” their hemp with solvents in an attempt to remediate THC, accepting the reduction in CBDA/CBD as collateral damage in exchange for regulatory compliance.

I suppose it wouldn’t be impossible to do this with a fairly pure, low toxicity solvent like 200 proof EtOH and be able to remediate the solvent to a safe level. Now that’s given that the operator uses a verified solvent not to contain low-volatility additives or contaminates that would remain on the biomass as a residue, and that they have the biomass tested against residual solvents if it is going to market rather than further extraction. That’s part of my concern however, the fact that remediation of direct biomass on average is a method sought out by folks looking to sell the biomass after, especially as prerolls or packaged flower, to consumers rather than a lab for further refinement. This is to my knowledge most common with biomass that’s going to be transported off site which creates a lot of risk if the material could fail the 0.3% limit, but again it is usually illegal in a lot of programs to not destroy “hot” hemp once it becomes verified that it is out of compliance.

1 Like

I’ve had contacts in Colorado tell me that “winterization” involved putting the parchment with your BHO on it out in the snow for a couple of days…so while I’m not willing to say it’s not happening, I suspect we need a little more evidence than that before drawing any conclusions.

I to have heard rumors of direct remediation of biomass. So far I consider them just that. rumors.

would CBD isolate concern you?

see: Spray distillate onto flower

3 Likes

All you have to do is scroll through the cannabis subreddits to see all kinds of asinine and misinformed decisions amateur extractors and cultivators are pulling out there

1 Like

fair enough. I try to stay away from that nonsense…

I’ll actually admit that I have found signs of intelligent life on reddit, even in the cannabis subreddits…mostly folks who I recognized from here…

1 Like

Lol literal winterization

1 Like

I post on there once in awhile when I feel like I might help stop someone from blowing themselves up, but overall I’m just a scrolling lurker on reddit.

I believe that is actually the origin of the term, though from the food oil industry.

just sit it out in the snow for a couple of days then bring it in?

or actually filter the stuff that ppt’s out after such treatment. there is a difference.

I made a couple of attempts at that.
gave up when faced by the futility…