Dual recovery lines

1/2" recovery.

1 Like

What does a jacketed collection/splatter platter have to do with recovery line size or a tube in shell condenser (his preferred method of re-condensing solvent)?

That material column will hold 21-23lbs of solvent on possibly 8lbs of bio. That just seems low as hell. Once running a crc with as much media as you will be using, you’ll need to run more solvent.

I just reread what you wrote… I’d stop wasting time packing only 3.5lbs in there, fill that fucker up. You’re currently running just as many lbs of solvent to bio as I am, you’re just wasting your time by packing them at 40% full

2 Likes

Like in theory or practice, do you run 6x36s?
I’m saying for sure that the columns can’t practically hold more than 5lbs at a time. Again, do you just pass through the material or are you stalling in the column to soak?

I run 6x36 material columns and yes speak from experience brother. I stuff 8.5 in there regularly. I’m soaking for a few minutes then passing through with more solvent to meet my total

3 Likes

Ah okay that makes sense. Is the material super fine? How much pressure are you using to pack the material down?
I use pretty moderate pressure. Should I just be smashing as hard as I can to fit more material in there?

1 Like

Stuff the living piss out of that thing. I use a 3/4” rod or “broom handle”

I don’t grind, I just smash with said “broom handle” fresh from the freezer

2 Likes

I used to run flower only, and pack lightly. Fuck was I wrong. I pack it tight as I can now…short of getting out a sledge hammer.

3 Likes

You guys aren’t getting any issues with permeability when you pack that tight? Well shit I guess I’m gunna start smashing it in there.

3 Likes

We push cold solvent with nitro pressure in the headspace of the tank. The nitrogen pressure doesn’t care about a tight pack.

3 Likes

Just to clarify, in your earlier response you said 40lbs or more of solvent per tube. In your later response you said it could hold 8lbs bio and 20-23lbs solvent. Does that mean I would want to run an additional 20lbs of solvent over each column after the initial soak? That seems excessive.

1 Like

Exactly! Not sure how that’s excessive, it’s all dependent on how much bio is in the tube. Your currently running 6lbs of fuel to 1lb of bio, I’m doing 6-7lbs to each lb of bio when crc’n.

As I fill the column (with the bottom valve shut) I meticulously watch the solvent scale to make sure I’m not pushing to fast for my likings. Once the solvent scale stops moving, around 21-23lbs ish I know that it’s full and I wait anywhere from 1-5 min depending on how I’m feeling that day. Once the pause is over I continue on to either the crc or collection vessel and let the remaining solvent push in over the material column.

6 Likes

Well I figure since the jacketed collection and splatter platter basically act as a heat exchange… cause they are. Might help.

You’re right, I think it’s just the amount of bio which makes it seem excessive. You’re essentially fitting into one tube what I fit into two.

Given I’m running a 100# solvent tank (which holds roughly 60lbs of butane) should I just run one tube and pack the hell out of it? I feel like that’s more efficient @FicklePickle

2 Likes

Absolutely!
If you’re running 3.5lbs and I’m running right at 8.5lbs, that’s 2.43 times more. That’s for sure the way bro!

3 Likes

Thank you for your help :pray:t3::pray:t3:

2 Likes

Those are heat exchangers on the heating side of things.

@anon16547145 is talking about heat exchangers used for cooling/condensing

3 Likes

Oooooohhhhhhhhhhhh

1 Like

Pack it like it owes you money or is gonna make you some

7 Likes

So an update for anyone curious, or future readers.

I ended up doing a single 1/2” line from collection to sieve, and sieve to condensing coil.
1/4” from coil back to solvent tank

Solvent tank is on dry ice with a very small amount of acetone
Coils (injection and recovery side) are both in a dry ice/acetone slurry.

My 10L 2kW heater is set to 32*C, but I definitely need to upgrade it. With how fast I’m recovering it’s struggling to get to temp before the run is finished!

I plan on getting this heater, which has 5kW heating power and should increase my speeds even more:

Another helpful tip I found while reading last night was to vac down the solvent tank after the nitrogen assist. This brings the tank back to a vacuum (whereas venting will leave nitrogen in the headspace and won’t go below 0 PSI). I plan on getting a Venturi pump (it’s on the way now), but for now I’m using my old CMEP. Works fine for the time being. I believe this contributes greatly to increased speed.

As of right now even with my heater not keeping up I’m recovering at speeds 3x as fast or more than with my 1/4” CMEP active setup. I can literally hear the butane vapor whooshing through the lines.

I could not recommend switching to passive more highly.

9 Likes