Dual recovery lines

I’m finally switching from active recovery with an old beat down CMEP to passive recovery. I plan on running dual 3/8” lines out of my collection pot through to my sieve, one 3/8” line from sieve to condensing coil, and a 1/4” line from my coil back to the solvent tank.

The only issue I’ve ran into with this setup is that there are no lids with two NPT ports that are greater than 1/4” each. This means that I have to use 1/4”MNPT to 3/8”JIC adapters for my two recovery hoses coming from the collection pot.

Will this greatly hinder the efficacy of the dual lines?
Would it be more efficient to run a single 1/2” recovery line since they make end caps with single 1/2” NPT ports? And should the line from the sieve to the condensing coil be increased to 1/2”, or is 3/8” sufficient?

Currently with the CMEP I’m only recovering at a rate of about .4lbs/min and I would like to achieve 1lb per minute or higher.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

3/8 feed
1/2 recovery
Double 1/2 is better

Fuck a coil, get a tube and shell and recover passive.

8 Likes

How does that answer his question at all? You can read everywhere on this site that bigger is better for passive but he asked a specific question and it deserves a specific answer not your opinion that he should spend a ridiculous amount of money upgrading his system.

6 Likes

I would keep it two lines the whole way, if possible, at least until it turns into a liquid. If you cut down from one line to two, you won’t really get any higher speed, that single ⅜ will be your bottleneck.

If you are needing a new lid on the low, reach out to @Killa12345.

If you are needing more custom, I have a metal guy who’s awesome and can build certified equipment. Or with what your budget can handle

6 Likes

Why run x2 3/8 lines if you’re just gonna come out to a single line then back to 1/4" on solvent tank? Got pics of current setup?

4 Likes

@Idab916 The 1/4” is when the solvent is turned back to a liquid. It’s my understanding that after the phase change the 1/4” won’t hinder the recovery rate.

@Dred_pirate It’s possible for me to run two lines flowing out of the sieve in the same fashion I have them flowing in. They would still need the 1/4” NPT to 3/8” JIC fittings. At what point would I join the two together? Run each line to its own coil? Or both lines to one coil?

Or just change that 3/8” out for a 1/2” line?

I should also clarify from the original post

I was referring to the end caps on my molecular sieve.
My molecular sieve is 4” and the only end caps I can find with two NPT fitting are 1/4” maximum. My collection pot lid has 2 1/2” ports and 1 3/8” port available for injection and recovery.

No because the bore size of 1/4 npt is the same id of 3/8 jic so. So 1/4 npt is fine if ur get the adapter to 3/8 jic. This is the same as u go up in size…To actually answer your question…
Now opinion, yea if u want faster, going 1/2,3/4 or 1” jic will greatly increase your recovery. I think active is better imo for a number of reasons but everyone situation is different @Goldenpeakoilco

4 Likes

Hey thanks for the specific answer, I appreciate it. That’s extremely helpful actually.

Could you tell me why you prefer active to passive? @710enigmatic

1 Like

I just scooped some endcaps w dual 1/2 NPT ports from USA lab

2 Likes

@Goldenpeakoilco If you need your existing lid modified we can do that relatively cheaply.

The two 3/8 hoses will move more gas than a single 1/2 inch line.
if you have 2x hoses I would rock 2x coils.

3 Likes

Got a link by chance? That would be the easiest solution for me

I might switch and do that Instead. You think just make a manifold for the recovery port on the solvent tank so both lines flow into it?

Thanks for your help guys

because, as @Soxhlet points out, buying off the shelf isn’t the only way to solve this…

were I playing this game, I’d suggest 4 fittings. two for the recovery lines, one for a PRV and one for a gauge.

OP may or may not have a valve between their recovery pot and their molsieve, but assuming they do, skipping that PRV and gauge should be discouraged.

I added a tube and shell to a PX1 once upon a time, when I was using it with EtOH, left it there because it worked so well…

4 Likes

Yeah I can post he link just saw you were looking for 4inch tho they only have it in 3 I believe. You could always do a 4 to 3 reducer. I have some 4 with double ports on my columns but I think it’s dual 3/8s

2 Likes

I have dual recovery lines, each one has its own sieve and coil.

6 Likes

Just use 2 coils :boom:

2 different coils in 2 different loops or 2 coils in 1 loop? I have trouble finding a good pump to push cold alcohol thru these coils/loops without spending a car on it.

Would 2 coils still be better if i have only 1 coil in my jacketed recovery tank? Maybe run one coil for the internal cooling coil and 1 coil for the external jacket? I have never used the jacket on the recovery tank, i just use it as a sealed insulation void.

So for the hot side can i just stay with one heating coil? In one pot? And double my kW heating input? Or do i need to get a coil for my collection pot also?

1 Like

Where are the 2 coils? Same place?

Each recovery line has its own coil, placed after the sieves (if that’s what you are asking)

2 Likes

I wanna put one on the px1 i have, use a couple of your tricks with the 3way valves. Its got 4 tubes now and a #100 tank so kinda a lil different than stock

1 Like