Double Boil Absorption Rates

Been making my own hemp oil with a simple decarb and double boil method with different carrier oils. I sent in a couple of samples using MCT oil and looks like the MCT oil absorbed 82-88% of the CBD . ie, targeted 18mg/ml ended up with 15mg/ml actual.

Does anyone have any data on absorption rates of different carrier oils?

Very new to all this, but what are the advantages of using extracts and distillates over a simple double boil method? It seems much cheaper to just double boil. The only problem i would see would be scaling up.

3 Likes

I typically use 190 proof everclear for home extracts, double boil off the alcohol (in a safe open area), then add in a carrier oil. How much color are you picking up in your oil? I’d guess it’s a dark brown since it’s post decarb. Unfortunately, I don’t have any data on absorption rates of different oils. Welcome to the forum though.

1 Like

Thanks. Its a dark green/yellow/brown. I’m not using extraction though. basically decarb, then put the Carrier oil in the biomass and double boil. Using a instapot. 40min for decarb, 40 min after adding oil. Im wondering why you use alcohol to extract… I tried this once and it took a lot longer, seemed messier, and less efficient. Why not just double boil the hemp in the carrier oil, then filter out?

1 Like

High extraction efficiency and I extract commercially with ethanol already so it’s comfortable.

that is your “extraction efficiency”, which is a concept I wish more folks could wrap their head around.

the preferred terminology addresses the solubility of our target in the various oils rather than “absorption rate”.

to me “absorption rate of various carrier oils” is addressing bioavailability. ie how well do we absorb target from said carrier oils.

you can’t reduce the MCT tincture once made. so 15mg/ml is as potent as your (current) tincture will ever be. if that’s what you want, you’re golden.

if you need 300mg/ml, then you need to use a solvent you can evaporate.

4 Likes

You can guarentee you’re leaving alot of cannabinoids behind after draining the biomass of the MCT, since alot of the MCT will be stuck in the biomass.

2 Likes

yep, and @Sdog21 actually gave you an approximation for how much…

2 Likes

That’s a good point that I had not considered. You could probably reclaim some of it with a hand press for juicing. Wrap your MCT soaked biomass in cheese cloth and squish it.

Get a centrifuge and keep doing your oil extractions. You could even do a water wash but you have to dry the oil properly or you will get mold

Has anyone dialed in an RPM/lb of biomass optimal ratio?

Bench scale testing maybe? Amazon.com

yes, you ARE. you are extracting straight into oil.

because they want a higher concentration tincture?

for oil? not I
the correct metric is not RPM/lb
its g-force.

although I have played with that juicer…

The other big advantage that @sdog21 has, is a lack of explosive vapor and associated head aches. Oil based extraction is probably the safest solvent based extraction.

2 Likes

If you’re looking for more potency… The solubility of mct is deff higher than 15mg/ml. What I would do is this.

1. Decarb your flower at 230f for one hour
  2. Place your flower in some sort of bubble bag that will fit in your instanpot and still be able to be fully submerged in oil
  3. Set your instantpot on what ever setting it has to achieve a liquid carrier oil temperature of around 160f
  4. Agitate everyonce in a while for several hours.
  5. take the bubble bag out of the pot and add another one filled with new decarbed material.
  6. Start a timer for your several hour steep.
  7. Squeeze the shit out of that bubble bag or spin it in a panda :person_shrugging:
  8. Repeat as needed until it’s potent enough. You will eventually run out of carrier however b.c. you’ll always lose some inside of that flower so I’d say dunk until you can’t fully submerge the next bag or something.

Long story short if you keep reusing the same initial volume of carrier and using new decarbed flower you can increase your potency.

3 Likes

yep. seems like the right tech for (many) home users to me…

1 Like

This is what we’re spinning bags at, and we’re still leaving 1-2gal in the biomass:

Edit: Radius should have been 2 feet, put in the diameter by mistake. See below post for correct numbers.

1 Like

Awesome response ky_cbd, @Sdog21 “panda” is a cheap amazon “centrifuge” that people use for reclamation.

2 Likes

Spinng bags with etOH or MCT in them? Interesting data

1 Like

2600G sounds awesome, but something isn’t right…

how long are you spinning for?

do you really have only 70lb of cannabis in an 8ft diameter rotor?

I can fit 30lb in a rotor only 24" across.

in a 16" rotor at ~1000G I was seeing 1-1.5lb of ethanol in 10lb of biomass. which is not inconsistent with your numbers (density of ethanol 6.8lb/gal). when we hit 1.5lb, it was time to clean the filters.

1 Like

Ethanol

1 Like