Do you remember your dreams?

So I was having a conversation with a group of people, all heavy smokers, and we came to the realization that a good amount of us, no longer have vivid recollection of our dreams.

I’m curious if you are a heavy user, are you able to regularly recollect your dreams “vividly” not just like a “I might have dreamed about XYZ” and how much THC do you consume daily?

Thanks for entertaining me.

12 Likes

It’s hit or miss for me. Some nights I do, some nights I do.let. Smoke a little under a gram a day. Probably closer to .5 per day lately.

My dreams are insane though when I do remember them, I would much rather not and wake up feeling fully rested. When I dream vividly it’s like my mind never actually falls asleep, and when I wake up, I feel just as tired as when I went to bed.

9 Likes

You usually do dream but just don’t remember it. I find new tek in dreams sometimes and I can’t remember the steps but the excitement about a finding is the only emotion that survives when I wake up and what tells me that I had a dream. Sucks when you can’t recall the dream but you know you had one and can only recall a small portion of it

13 Likes

When I stopped consuming caffeine I started dreaming like normal again. No change in cannabis consumption.

4 Likes

I took a break for a job and I had the worst nightmares for about two weeks. After the nightmares came vivid random dreams. It took a few days of heavy smoking to stop them. I hate dreaming in general so it’s great as a side effect for me.

6 Likes

Yeah if you smoke alot then quit your dreams are nuts. Just quit a few months ago my dreams were so intense I couldn’t sleep through the night for a month.

7 Likes

Very true. I remember when I would go to juvie the first two weeks where some crazy vivid dreams where I remembered every part of it

6 Likes

Can I ask why you quit?

I’ve seldom been able to remember dreams, even before I started smoking.

1 Like

When I quit due to drug court, I had a re-occuring nightmare about smoking a blunt with the homies. After taking a hit my homie freaked out and said “You said you can’t smoke weed bro!” Id wake up distressed as fuck

9 Likes

When I take 2-3 days T breaks I dream heavy and can basically control my dreams and do anything I want to do. But when I’m smoking heavy i don’t dream at all. :man_shrugging:t3: I don’t even want to begin to describe the types of super vivid crazy dreams I have. Half of them are Wild ass dreams that are almost indescribable and the other half are just ptsd dreams. I also have some slight sleep apnea and that can be scary. It feels like a out of body 3rd person experience that you can’t shake out of until your body allows you to.

4 Likes

I have consumed cannabis every day of my adult life with the exception of probably 2 or 3 days.

I have the wildest dreams and usually have a vivid reccollection of them. Sometimes it’s almost like checking into another life. Reoccurring dream locations ive never seen in the waking world draw me in with their familiarity. Sometimes it’s even as if I’m able to resume a dream after waking.

On a side note has anyone ever experienced lucid dreaming?

I had an experience once when I was consciously trying to achieve a lucid state. Basically you think about lucid dreaming enough before sleep and the idea incepts itself into your dreams until one day you fall asleep and you realize you are dreaming. The problem is that being the master of your dreams typically excites you and you wake up.

9 Likes

That happened to me the first few times I quit smoking back in the day, like all the dreamiest dreams had fermented in my mind until the cannabis left it. I had the Insane Clown Posse chasing me through the Carnival of Carnage all night in a waking dream just before going to court for possession.

This is me, I had several memorable dreams up until the age of 7 or so then not much after that until I sobered up after smoking cannabis for a while.

1 Like

I even learned lucid dreaming at one point as a kid

1 Like

I still dream yea

Some crazy ass shit usually, sometimes even deja vu

2 Likes

Fucking up too much paperwork lol. Hopefully I can hire it out soon.

4 Likes

Oh, and the memorable dreams from my childhood are still just as memorable now that I smoke. Meaning I can still recall them just as vividly as before I ever had cannabis. It only seems to inhibit me forming dreams, or at the very least remembering them after I wake. Whether or not I actively dream I do not know, bro science says I probably do but don’t remember them but without a proper sleep study I wouldn’t fully say one way or another.

1 Like

The question presupposes that heavy cannabis users are in a dream state (REM), similar to light and non-users, which is likely not the case. Since the 70s, studies (albeit with limitations including dosage, settings, and non-statistical sample sizes) have found heavy cannabis users show increased REM latency and reduced REM as a percent of sleep time. Plus, some sleep studies have found heavy cannabis users’ dream recall to be the same as light and non-users.

So, I think it’s more likely that heavy cannabis users don’t dream as often as light and non-users. When I was a heavy user, I either never dreamed, never recalled my dreams, or a bit of both.

I think it’s safe to say that heavy cannabis users dream less frequently because they probably spend less time in REM, and when they’re in REM, it’s not as deep as light and non-users. And, their recall of dreams they may have could be poor compared to light and non-users.

It’s also worth noting that the REM state occurs near the end of the sleep cycle, during the last few hours. So, if someone is getting insufficient sleep (<7 hours uninterrupted per day), they could be cutting into their REM stage and affecting their dream frequency.

Yeah, I used to naturally lucid dream in grade school. I knew I was dreaming and could control my actions in the dreams, but not the dreams themselves - pretty much like real life. Then as I got older, I no longer naturally lucid dreamed, so I trained myself to lucid dream. I haven’t had a lucid dream in many years, mostly because I stopped focusing on my intention to lucid dream.

4 Likes

I’d think that heavy smoking favors deep sleep over REM sleep, and quite possibly could decrease your dreaming activity via that route.

4 Likes

i have some pretty vivid dreams id say every night… most morning i remember them some i dont but i dont think there is a night i dont dream vividly…

i have been monitoring my sleep for over 5 years and sleep in REM about 45-60% a day according to my apple watch… ive used every app so far and this one is the best at tracking my movements…

im smoking about 10000mg a day… 4-5 disty blunts and dabs…

This is what a night looks like.

4 Likes