Do large scale Ethanol Extractors use copper condensers or just stainless steel?

What about plating the Copper with Nickel?

That is also a feasible option, but plating is not always considered food safe. Some folks have sensitivity to nickel, but the bigger concern would be delamination over time, especially considering the thermal expansion and contraction. Maybe check to see the differences in coefficients of thermal expansion (CoTE) of the two materials.

go with ss, the etoh you reclaim is going back in for more extraction.

If we go with ss since we are working under vacuum he says the column will have to be as big around as a keg to make it efficient

Check out Falling Film Evaporators, all SS and very high throughputs.

haven’t gotten this beast up and running yet.

should do 100gal in about two hrs (calcs are lying around here somewhere). shipped with out the defleg

note the manway to send Hansel in after the goods :wink:

6 Likes

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: you build yourself?

1 Like

What’s in your condenser? Where did you get your tanks?

nope. didn’t even assemble the parts.

essentially off-the-shelf from a still builder in the ozarks

condenser is standard product shotgun

haven’t seen it in several months. column is probably 6"

I believe it was less than $20k for everything pictured here. Probably looking at $40k with steam generator & appropriate chiller. maybe $35k with a hot water heater instead of steam.

Edit: Stopped by this afternoon. Condenser is 6"x48".

1 Like

I just figured out to reply to specific ppl on here lol

What size is your column?

I want to make that still my wife

What do you use the steam for?

steam? heating the jacket on the boiler.

one could use direct heat…

Note: this was never run in this manner.
I was just messing with the boss on how to scale the turbo 500 from 5-15 gal.

pretty sure this was only a few days before RSOsie self assembled out in the shop.

2 Likes

That’s a wonderful idea. I was thinking a big galvanized horse trough with six hot water heating elements in it. Or like I did when I was shining a good old crab pot cooker propane open flame nothing to make a guys thing on his toes like that

Where can I purchase that tank?

just for @PrecisionNick

2015 PX1 used as an ethanol extraction rig & recovery still

I don’t understand the plumbing as pictured. but it did work. pretty sure the cannabis is in the jacketed column. can’t tell what I was using as a condenser. this was probably my second attempt. the first one was way less obvious…boss told me to make BHO, but we were not licensed for hydrocarbons, so I obsfucated :wink:

looks like it was under vac, so there is probably a cmep-ol off-screen somewhere.

2 Likes

stupid vac still number 6?

I didn’t like the way the ethanol tasted after going through the trs-21. putting the condenser before the pump, and dropping the recovered solvent into a keg would have been a better idea…

that’s a MKIII terp base in a 750W soup tureen. :wink:
there’s a 50’ 3/8" ss coil in the freezer, embedded in ice.

2 Likes

posting here because of the vinegar column wash.

probably helpful to some of our smaller scale/home users as well.

1 Like

Wow this have a long time i know. But… I am building a rusty etoh cold extractor and i am thinking in use a 80 L freeze as the “tank”, doing holes and put a serpentin inside conected to the chill( 5L -80c) is small but i can down to -60 in a nigth with a serpentin in open air tank without aislation, i can imagin insade a freez that is running ON in a nigth they will go to -70c easy. Then open the door and start to do 1kg washes and spin, the drains panda conect to the freez to recycle the etoextract for saturate the etoh to finish the washes.

My crazy doubt is if i can put directly the eto into the freeze, in the insaid are covered with a layer of Aluminum. My first idea is puting a tank or make a inox cover inside

1 Like