DIY Fraction Finder on a budget

“Damn @CBNight trying to get all of our information you little hacker. I’m only joking”
:joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Haha, you can build a kit and sell it for sure.

3 Likes

If anyone wants me to build these complete I can. I just wanted to give you all the least expensive way to do it yourself by giving you all the prices of the parts to avoid the #greentax. I can make mounts for the sensor with the arduino enclosed. Just food for thought. The software will need to be improved by you genius coders out there. I’m a hardware kind of guy :sunglasses:

11 Likes

I’m not sure if you guys are familiar with thingiverse but it looks like they have some ideas that you smart folks might be able to improve on/use.

4 Likes

Here is a wiring diagram for you guys. This is the I2c connection to the arduino.

8 Likes

My sensor should be arriving today. It is different from the sparkfun board as far as on board LEDs. The pesky products board only has one white LED

The Luxeon LXZ2-5790-3 is a broad-band white light emitter (5700 K, 90 CRI)

I am wondering about mounting options. I think I am going to try rig up a three prong clamp to hold the sensor. I have this on hand:

Chemglass CG-9004-204 Dual Adjust Lab Clamp, Large

https://chemglass.com/content/images/thumbs/0003083_chemglass-lab-clamps-rustproof.jpeg

The pesky products sensor is small enough (19mm) to fit between two prongs.

I am also wondering about using a few different small glass vials filled with disty for testing. IIRC, I saw video of summit demoing Fraction Finder by testing carts at a trade show. Testing during spd is going to be hard for me as I am still putting my lab together and don’t have all my spd gear yet.

Even if I can’t use the sensor for spd anytime soon, I’ve wanted this type of sensor for checking grow lights.

3 Likes

Got mine today too!

2 Likes

Got my sensor working with example code.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just ordered some.

Was there any standoff distance? Was the sensor touching the glass?

I am wondering if a small sliding xy axis sliding stage would be useful. But the ones I found available for purchase are too expensive for a budget rig.

6 Likes

Congrats! I’m still waiting on parts. Have fun experimenting.

3 Likes

I think a mount with heat resistant plastic would be the way to go. If I had the dimensions of the sensor you have I could make a mount for you. You could then just rotate the sensor around the joint to get it lined up. Sensor was touching the glass.

4 Likes

The sensors are 19mm. Will u make me one too?!

3 Likes

No problem. You also have the pesky product version of the sensor?

2 Likes

Yes I do

2 Likes

Ok cool, I’ll just order the sensor so I can make it to fit exactly.

2 Likes

Came quick. Still waiting on spark fun order. Bought a data logger too to go inline.

3 Likes

Awesome! Can’t wait to see what you all make of this.

4 Likes

I think you are right. I’m overthinking this. Do you know how hot the glassware gets? it looks like each of the three sensor chips can read internal temperature.

Design files for the pesky products board are here:
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/eeFCI67k

0.70 x 0.70 inches (17.8 x 17.8 mm)

I have header pins soldered onto mine so I can use Dupont wires for prototyping.

A 5/8" ID, 7/8" OD 1/8" width o-ring fits around the sensor area pretty well. Don’t know if it will be useful.
o-ring

Just noticed the SparkFun Triad Spectroscopy Sensor - AS7265x (Qwiic) board is on sale.

$55.21
Sale ends July 09, 2019 01:59 EDT

I was able to use the SparkFun_AS7265x_Arduino_Library with the pesky products sensor.

4 Likes

I ordered the pesky products sensor as I’m going to make a housing for the community for both sensors. I have a design in mind to avoid stray light hitting the sensor instead of the flowing distillate. The chips do have a temperature sensor to ensure they don’t over heat. It depends on how close it is to the condenser. Where I had it, there wasn’t much heat.

3 Likes

The pesky products board doesn’t have an UV or IR LED, but it does have pads on the board if you want to add them. Seems like the UV is more important than IR for this application.

These are on the sparkfun board

And this is the white LED on the pesky products board, green line in graph
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/602/DS134-542363.pdf

2 Likes

so… I shoulda bought the sparkfun one?! I dont solder…