DIY Fraction Finder on a budget

Don’t say anything @AlexSiegel

can you show how the sensor is up against glass? just got done ordering all the parts

I had to play with it to align with the flowing distillate. I had used diffraction tape, black tape, etc. to block out stray light and get the sensors to read right. While I kind of rigged it just to get a proof of concept I need to make a mount. With all my ongoing projects I never got to it but it could easily be machined out of Delrin. Please excuse the ghetto-ness of this mess.

10 Likes

also do you have a wiring diagram?

thanks for the share on this I’m curious how this will compare against my fraction finder

Yes I do. I will post it tomorrow. (Green and yellow go to I2c pins a4 and a5) then it’s just 3v and GND. I’ll post a pic on the sensor side.

5 Likes

paint the outside of the tube with stuart semples black 2.0 paint - aside from vantablack which is what the product sort of parodies it is the blackest black pigment and absorbs 99.99% of visible light.

8 Likes

How hot does the glass get in that section? If not too hot, maybe we could 3d print something in ABS in black to hold the sensor and block out light?

1 Like

Not very hot. Although the issue with that glass adapter is the distillate gets stuck towards the bottom of the 24/40 joint. I was using an older Rocco setup here. For a newer full bore where there’s a place to clamp the sensor that would work perfectly.

3 Likes

Pulled the trigger on the Pesky Products version of the sensor.

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I bought 2 too! Plus all the other stuff

2 Likes

Send me some cad files and i will make you a prototype mount for the community.

10 Likes

I’d be happy to if you’d like to machine it. First I’ll need to draw it up. I also have a cnc mill at home and access to multiple CNC lathes. What format would you like the 3D drawing in, .step?

2 Likes

THANK YOU!! Will you send me one?!

yeah that works for me!

2 Likes

Check out this DIY spec for another approach.

great use of a 3D printer to replace cardboard & duct tape :wink:

7 Likes

Ey how about that! Thats pretty damn cool.

2 Likes

this looks to be a similar project. doesn’t look to be complete.

5 Likes

That’s the one that @blackie purchased from pesky products! It’ll do too.

5 Likes

I’m so glad someone put something like this together. I’ve been wanting to do this for some time, but never got the time to make it happen. Bravo, thanks for the community nudge getting this project off the ground. Good work.

6 Likes

lmfao omfg i was wondering the same thing…:rofl:

2 Likes