DIY Closed Loop Extractor

Blue or yellow is good, and again, no offense @Matt.

Make sure you do your pressure test well above what your expected psi is once assembled.

I’ve found I need 4 wraps to seal things up.

2 Likes

the white stuff works in a pinch, it’s way harder to get a good seal though.

When I first put my system together I only had white tape. I needed like 6-10 wraps on everything before I had no leaks.

After my recent upgrade I got some yellow tape and it only needed 3-4 wraps.

@Matt the pressure test is extremely important. Make sure it holds the same psi for a few days, even up to a week. You’ll have much more piece of mind knowing your not leaking anywhere.

In my experience, the slow leaks are very common and hard to find. When you run your system they will be very visible. I had this exact situation from a 1-2psi leak over 4 days. I could barely find it, but once I ran the system it presented itself immediately and scared the shit out of me

7 Likes

Color isn’t an indication of quality.
I use venom tape. Which is white. But significantly thicker then any other brand and shits on all the other types.
Honestly think they all suck but the venom sucks alot less.
They also have venom pipe dope that goes in conjunction with the tape. Usually seals perfect on the first time. Its amazing

3 Likes

Also dipping in water while under pressure is a sure fire way to easily find a leak. Pro tip

6 Likes

Good point, I think the better indicator is if the tape is made for gas connections.

Also, @clouds, nothing worse than finding a leak during a run. Definitely makes your ass pucker lol.

5 Likes

I once had the hose going from my column to collection break at a crease mid run. On a friday at 7pm. So i couuldnt even replace it.
I found a supplier that was open but was stressed

2 Likes

Yeah, that would make me sweat hard.

@Matt, again, no offense man, I hope you get up and running soon. But I’d like for guys coming into this stuff to not have to go through all the dumb shit some of us have done in the past.

I’m mainly talking about myself here.

1 Like

Ya my plan after getting it all together is to pull a vac on it and leave it over night and see if it holds. Than do the reverse with pressure as I just ordered my dry ice n it won’t be here till Wednesday so I got time… My plan was to spray it down with soapy water after getting pressure and/or vac into it to check for leaks, and I understand wanna be filling my system outside. But once it’s filled up and the butane is in and it’s all sealed up I’m able to move inside no? Cuz that’s the whole reason I bought the damn thing so I don’t have to sit out in the shed anymore haha. (I got 2 gas detectors 1 that plugs into the wall and one that goes around my neck on battery’s)

1 Like

Blue Monster ftw

3 Likes

Well, that’s where you’re going to run into differing opinions on here.

In theory, yes, you can bring it indoors because all the solvent is in a closed system, but absolute safety protocols would say unless your room or garage is a explosion proof rated area, there’s an argument you should be running outside still.

That’s the ethics of it anway.

3 Likes

Blue monster is trash. Try venom. Shits on everything else

there’s the unit mocked up, no seals in it or anything. And I havnt decided on the final configuration for how the Guage and valve will be set…

It was 398 USD shipped to my door in under a week with the added 1.5" ball valve under the column

2 Likes

3 Likes

Not a bad price honestly!

The one thing I’d say is when you can, you might want to upgrade the clamps to bolted high pressure ones.

6 Likes

To be honest I thought that myself when I opened it. I thought they looked a little weak, I even went back and looked at the Pic from the ad I bought to make sure they were the same ones, they appear to be… Upgrades to look forward too I guess… As far a show I set my Guage and valve does it matter? Like can I have the valve pointing out horizontally? Or should it be vertical?

Like in an ideal world I’d switch my Guage and valve in the last Pic yo make it easier to hookup

It can be mounted vertical or horizontal, no difference. How you have it now is how I would assemble it personally.

I like the gauge before the valve, that way you can see the psi of the vessel while it’s closed.

master’s orange t tape from home depot is my favorite. it’s super thick and seals even the worst chinese npt

6 Likes

Oh ya shit I never even thought of that! The Guage is Def better as is!.. I still gotta break it all down and hit it with brake clean (unless there’s some reason I shouldn’t, normal iso isn’t getting everything) to get the grime off the inside of some pieces, than 99%iso it down than put it together with seals and stuff and vac it for the night

that’s what I ended up with, I had to go to every hardware store on the island to find it, it was all I could find other than the plain white

3 Likes