DIY Closed Loop Extractor

yeah this is true, I’m glad I built mine and definitely agree with you, but at the same time if you’re going to maintain it you should be pressure testing it regularly, and redoing the pipe fittings from time to time when they begin to leak, so you’ll get that experience regardless. I feel assembling mine didn’t really do much else that playing with it fully assembled without solvent would do. All assembly really does is help you get really good at tightening NPT fittings lol.

I guess what I’m trying to say is if looking at it alone doesn’t give you enough understanding of the system, then leaving that person to assemble something that can potentially turn into a bomb is a bit sketchy. I’d rather have newcomers start working with a system that is KNOWN to be safely assembled so they don’t run into an explosive situation on their first run.

I’ll be the first to admit I felt like I knew exactly what I was doing… As I had been open blasting for a long time beforehand and am no stranger to tri clamp and NPT… I still fucked it up and ended up spending more time and money than I needed to if I were to just buy an assembled system.

4 Likes

Ok so me saying not to do might be double standard considered I did myself too…but

Nowa days I’d probably just buy it ready to go from the best place

Leaves room for the accessories everyone seems to forget about. I’m sure you can upgrade these anyway you seem fit

4 Likes

I completely agree on that aspect of lookin at the machine @clouds. But if I were to say I didn’t start on a cls & didn’t know anything when I did, then I wouldn’t have learned how to properly put a system together to pressure test before solvents & so on. & I’m not saying that someone who doesn’t know what they’re doing should try to operate a system unsupervised without a person(s) that know what to watch for Incase the system was improperly built.

But yes a greater understanding of how a cls works is always recommended before even getting hands on. I recommend that to all I’ve consulted that have little to none experience, whether open blast or cls & all in between. But even most can’t understand how to properly throttles solvents through a system due to temperature flux & just plain user error or manufacturer SOP isn’t correct.

4 Likes

I have had disappointing runs and have learned i dont know as much as i thought i did.although i have had amazing aha! runs as well, i got into this by coming across 2 mk3 bi directional with 2 ea , coils,platters,ptfe sets,hoses and extra columns, new and assembled, i have since built my own using the parts, and also n2 assist setup, recovery pump which ive yet to use, hemi lid and a 30# ss tank. i wish i had found this 6 months ago, i just read and learn and go practice , @Future4200 is invaluable, i have improved greatly since being on.

I have to touch up on my keyboard skills for sure lol
Yes, got the bolt tightening down, and realizing i need to mount my system and do some valve and fitting work to get the most out of it and up my safety game.
Severe injury no longer allows me to lay flooring, this hobby keeps my mind busy today.

2 Likes

also, looking at the systems i bought, I had pretty good understanding of the process , so much so i thought i could make it better, lol
sometimes two steps back is followed by leaps forward, as i have learned to stay humble and do the research, always try to improve.

3 Likes

oh , the time and money lol!
lots of " won’t do that agains"

2 Likes

I might add i got lucky and got at a great discount, not one to pass up. Never intending to use it as it was assembled, i would use the parts to come up with my own design.

dm me on ig @badderboyz710 if u still have any CLS equipment respect

1 Like

And getting good at finding parts.

2 Likes

Yeah bit I so would. If I needed abother base and if I needed to assembly a barbones lid I would. Lmfao… Oh shit I am!!!

1 Like

Hey guys, sorry to revive an old thread but it seemed the most appropriate place to ask…
So I ordered a small CLS (1.5x18) column with dewaxing sleeve + added a ball valve under column so I can soak, but no sight glasses or anything, real basic China system, it’s only for my own medication anyway so I’m sure it will suffice to learn on… Anyway it’s here and it’s time to assemble it, should I just use plumbers tape on the threaded fittings? Or nothing at all? Lick tight sounds like a quick way to make poison… Aby help?

1 Like

You’re going to need the yellow tape to start.

Not trying to sound like a dick, but how familiar are you with the basics of things?

With a question about plumbers tape and sealing npt fittings, it sounds like there’s a bunch of learning to do even before you get to extraction.

Be safe and good luck man.

4 Likes

I have done lots of open blast and closed column in the past, so I figured I can only get safer lol… I understand the process, I have watched a few full length passive runs on YouTube, I get the warm and cold and the solvent Chases the cold… But as far as what’s called what and what is science grade I got little to no idea… I Honestly figured it would come assembled (as far as the fittings and shit being attached so that it would be just a matter of using the Tri clamps and everything else would be ready to use. It wasn’t sold as a pro kit here it was 600$

And ya lol this is me trying to learn how to put it together I Googled and searched and found lots of people telling you how to put it together. I can do that. I need to know what the proper grade of shit to use is so it doesnt leak and shit

$600 for a system that small? Where did you purchase from?

Alibaba. 600 Canadian shipped to Canada

Grab some blue monster ptfe thread tape. It seals better and you use less.

6 Likes

Thanks man

Can you post pics of full setup

Sure just Omw to a Dr appt atm but I’ll be home in hour or so and I’ll post her up… And originally the system was a tad less but I added the 1.5 " ball valve. I got the price break down home too

1 Like