DIY Cat/Pet Tincture Recipe Questions

I’m trying to make a simple tincture for my cat who has seizures. Based off some research it seems hemp seed oil would be a good safe base to mix with. I mainly have 2 questions.

1. Would a homogenizer be necessary to blend some isolate or distillate into the hemp seed oil?
  2. Anyone have experience with CBD and cats if distillate is more effective than isolate? Was gonna go with broader spectrum distillate over isolate but thinking about it the isolate would probably be easier to blend

Thanks in advance

2 Likes

Nothing to add, but just wishing the kitty and you best of luck!

2 Likes

@Rowan

1 Like

Best of luck to your cat.

You might be working with small dosages for your kitty. I read cbd 3mg/kg of cat/ day* at treatment level dosage for epilepsy/seizures. But I’m not a doctor.

I would say you’d want solution as homogeneous as possible for consistency. You might be able to simply apply slight heat and emulsion blend isolate/spectrum into careier oil.

Hope this helps at all.

P.s. A photo of the cat might help us understand what were dealing with.

*The #1 Rated CBD Oil for Cats - 100% Organic Full Spectrum Hemp Oil – Innovet Pet
Calculator for dosage
CBD Dosage Calculator for Dogs & Cats – Innovet Pet

2 Likes

In my experience, the cat is the most difficult factor in application of CBD here. Do you want your cat to willingly take the tincture, or is force acceptable?

You can lead a cat to CBD tincture, but you cannot make em dose. Or you can…and you get the ball of claws and fur…in my personal experience.

4 Likes

either distillate or isolate will blend fine. especially with a little heat. You won’t need a homogenizer, but it obviously helps.

hempseed oil would be safe, but I would be willing to bet your cat will not like that or willingly take it.
Good ol’ MCt oil is safe for them as well, and won’t taste as bad.

Really just depends on your cat… One of mine will eat almost anything and loves being held. The other doesn’t want ot be picked up and is real picky about what he eats. So I give them CBD in different ways… it really all depends on your furry friend.

3 Likes

Yea I was aiming at making each dose about 2-5mg. I have a heated mag stirrer available to me so I was hoping that would be enough. Figured on lowish heat for at least 10-15 minutes mixing should do it. I think hemp seed oil has a boiling point of around 120 C so I won’t end up overheating it.
@TwistedStill I’ve had to give him oral syringe medication before and it wasn’t the easiest thing but he’s usually pretty chill and I was able to give it to him every time.
Also here’s a pic

8 Likes

giphy

5 Likes

Ok dope, I wasn’t too sure how he’d feel about MCT but it makes sense that it would have a milder flavor. I think I’m gonna do a batch with each and see. Does MCT have similar beneficial fatty acids to hemp seed oil? Been reading more that cats can benefit from the ones found in hemp seed oil. Could be marketing bs tho.

I know they have similar benefits (hempseed and MCT) and I know that there are beneficial fatty acids in there too, but couldn’t really attest to which one is better for animals… that is a good point tho, hempseed oil is great for pets.

1 Like

On a side note, anybody have a recommendation on small quantities of isolate/distillate? I saw industrialhempfarms.com does single grams of each for around $8-$9. Price isn’t the biggest deal just looking for a clean product.

@mj_martini

1 Like

How about salmon oil. We make dog tinc out of salmon oil and the dogs love it

4 Likes

now that’s a good idea. cats would go ape shit for that

That sounds even better. Does the salmon oil you use come with tocopherols in it already? Wasn’t sure if that would mess with the mixture but I doubt it.

Amazon.com › Alaska-Naturals-Sal…
Alaska Naturals Salmon Oil for Dogs, 120 oz : Pet Supplies - Amazon.com is the one we use

1 Like

And I think it has s lot of vit e already. It smells bad to start, I’d hate to smell it rancid

The nano-encapsulated cbd topical I made saved a lady’s cat from a seizure, the medicine contains several other phytocompounds that play a part in the overall effectiveness of the Medicine

Liposomes:

I dissolve phosphatidylcholine+cbd into a solvent and dry down in a rotovap to form the initial liposomes, then size them down with a high shear homogenizer followed by an extruder- Sonication does work but the liposomes are often unstable and need to be passed through a nano filter anyway to ensure no heavy metal contaminants so I opted for extruder all the way down…

Now I use a completely different method of nano-encapsulation that is non-mechanical and very much superior in shelf life, ease of use, and elegance… follow nature

6 Likes

Would cbda have Roughly the same properties as far as bioavailability as a lipisomial (sp) mixture?

1 Like