Distilling terps from hydrosol

So I have been saving the hydrosol from freeze drying my flower and Frenchy Cannoli style “ze bubble ash” and it smells fantastic. I want to separate it out but don’t really know where to begin. Any ideas? I’ve read perhaps a second solvent would be the way to go. Any SOP for removing terps from a hydrosol are very much appreciated! TIA

Hydrosol as in there’s no layer separation? If there are distinct layers, you can freeze the water and pour the terps off the top. If it’s terpene-alcohols that are miscible with water, I hear salting it to allow for layer separation in a funnel works fairly well.

6 Likes

I have a machine that separates terps from hydro.

5 Likes

5 Celsius - 10 Celsius for 24hrs or less to see if there is separation, then a simple sep funnel will do the trick! I have only seen small amounts though, mostly hydrosols. But what you do pull/seperate is very aromatic and clear regardless of the yield/amount

2 Likes

I’m not sure how but there seems to be either no separation or very much so an emulsion.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve used salt before on water/terp fractions with some success, the yield was so low it didn’t seem worth the time.

Perhaps @spdking 's machine is a better option.

1 Like

There should be a way to accomplish this (at least Concentrate the terpenes further) by running a chromatography column or utilizing adsorbents. The water should be more polar than the alcoholic terpenes , right?

1 Like

@spdking is that your “machine”?

14 Likes

How many fractions can you get?

Any of them really, it’s a close fraction tech. Just depends what temp you are on. I’ve heard easily several fractions off the bat.

3 Likes

Looks like inert gas stripping from @spdking. We’ve been talking about this since 2014 on ICmag haha. (I’m not discrediting you, Elliot. Pre-chill - though your “any of them” claim above is laughable. Any of the single terpene compounds? Or what?)

CO2 could probably give more impressive results, but at a less impressive cost of production.

1 Like

And not to nitpick, but I’ve pulled extracted terpenes that smell like absolute hell. Of course we can do smell through the interwebs.

The system isn’t using inert gas. When I say any fraction I mean you can set any temp and any vacuum rate and get any set or boiling point similar fraction. Also this system separates butane or hydro carbons using the first coil condenser from sauce. Alot of people buy this system to take thier pour off sauce and load it up, distilling out clear terpenes and leaving the rest for other types of processing. They smell amazing. This is trully a unique system for separating terpenes.

8 Likes

Wouldnt hooking up all those condensers to a vac oven produce the same results? Not sure how thats a truly unique system, isnt it just a simple vac distillation with a bunch of cold traps?

2 Likes

@spdking does this work on hydrosol?

Yes it works on water with terps. Just you need to use vario or any pump without hysterises style control. You wouldn’t get nearly the same quality from a vac oven. This system has a unique temp control and mixing strength that allow fractions to pop off with ease. Thanks.

6 Likes

@spdking what do you call your machine and whats the cost ? Very interesting

Spd7 uspd 5l setup. It depends what you use it for. Cannabinoids or terps. It can be configured a couple different ways. Over all the entire glassware setup is about a couple thousand more than a fc45 style setup. Most of the cost is in the third trap and a bit in the head but that’s not anything crazy. Email the shop with a detailed list of how you want it configured. And we are happy to send you a estimate.

2 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0ytyUDB6V_/?igshid=zmlkip1wnzgp

15k for the terpene torpedo :sweat_drops:
Continuous feed options available.

9 Likes

Yes! :joy: