Distilling terps from hydrosol

A desktop centrifuge would work better then trying to redistill it. Pipette out the water or terps

1 Like

Nice! What are the dimensions and ratings? Trays?

2 temperature controlled trays, 50 Psi Max pressure with prv installed. Dimensions in cubic feet I’m not sure right now. Oops.

I can make a more heavy duty system to go to 150 psi and handle being ran inline on a butane closed loop. :sunglasses:

I’m still in r &d on terpene distillation but this is a multi purpose tool.

2 Likes

you can add hexane to assist in separation of the terps, then purge out the hexane. this si the way alot of esse tial oil company’s separate oils from hydrosol.

3 Likes

Awesome man. That’s what I needed to see. Now to put this mind to work on how to view this as a way to make this happen not as a mystery. Thank you so much for adding to the discussion and thank you for your shared info, seriously I am bit of a fan.

1 Like

Add the hydrosol to a polar solvent with a very low boiling point, remove all the water from the solution with a dessicant. After you remove the solid desicant from the solution evaporate the solvent.

Dimethyl Ether would work for this.

2 Likes

That’s worth a shot. I’ll let you know how this works out!

That’s wrong. They use ether and or dcm. Hexane is heavy and hard to remove and causes azeatrope distillations.

3 Likes

Would a br spinner do well at this? One of there smaller 8mm version with 100+ theoretical plates

1 Like

Not really, it will work about as good as a tall short path head with a key. It is counter productive becusee the spinner acts as a dam and forces everything down. Forcing your terp temps to go up and degredations occur.

4 Likes

If you have hydrosol that isnt separating on it’s own, it’s hardly worth trying to separate and collect. There will be very very little in there. It’s awesome for personal experimentation and personally I like to just put the water heavy hydrosol into a ultrasonic mister, makes the room smell :ok_hand::ok_hand:
I bottle it up in glass jars, and store them in a cool dark spot. They’ve lasted 2+ years without getting a bad smell

4 Likes

If anyone wants hydrosol I’ve got liters :woman_shrugging:

Pesticide free!

5 Likes

Haha @Dabatronicus you were leading that discussion and I didn’t realize it was you! Any thoughts on the method? That chest freezer / lyophilizer was sick. Easily applicable to bho/sauce as opposed to biomass like you were doing back then.

2 Likes

That’s what I was thinking just put it in a small glass bottle with mist spray and sell as is

1 Like

Sell it as Essense of Cannabis, they already make a killing selling Essense of ____ in herb stores

3 Likes

I’m confused a bit but yea summits wise bores horizontal coiled condensor would work very well.

Good in, good out. Hydrosol will make an ok product but yes HTE devoid of as much THCA as possible is the best input. Heat is not needed for the lighter volatiles

3 Likes

Very nice:+1:
Whats the diameter and length of the torpedo?
What about the tray sqft, one level rack for them?

Seems like theres going to be some decent competition for terp extractor designs coming out soon!

@hambread
sounds like one of my terp experiments on icmag with the chest freezer, with jar condenser and pot of herb on top.

1 Like

Ohhhh that was you! Damn my memory is slipping I thought it was weedaholic on icmag

P.s.
I can’t figure out the algorithm that dictates which of my posts I can edit and which I cannot.

1 Like

Pretty sure it’s a time sensitivity issue, not an algorithm.

2 Likes

That makes sense. I could request specific edits through a mod maybe. Nothing crucial here - but for example, I still need to go back to a couple old IC Mag posts and fix hilarious thermodynamic errors (using degrees Fahrenheit instead of Celcius/Kelvin). Someone probably bought one bad ass chiller on my word :joy:

Here it was just that I mis-credited the diy lyophilizer that @pangea built and was unable to change it when he corrected me.

2 Likes