DISTILLATION WITH Acetone crude - some help

So mixdown that distillate in pure heptane and then what? charcoal wash it? How do i remove the heptane from my distillate …roto vap it off ?

Iv never done this before so sorry for all the questions

I honestly do not want to offer advice because I have no first hand experience of solving this issue. I think Future might have some info on this. It could be an issue that water washes at an alkaline pH could help clear up; but I never tried it!

1 Like

You have to redistill after those washes in between distillations, or else itll just stay dark.

Acetone can make great crude as long as its done super cold with short saturation times

1 Like

any volitile solvent can be easily removed through evaporation on a rotovap

2 Likes

No youre good, All the info here is confusing. As well as its well winterized, a quick ethanol-filter media scrub and LLE (product in ethanol in sep funnel, add alkane, slowly drip water in, drain and dispose of aqueous layer, colelct alkane layer, rotovap) is good, then distill through the pope. Then, if need be, put it back in an alkane w/ charcoal and filter through silica/bentonite/celite. then re-distill in pope.

If its still shit, then youll need to do a more intensive LLE with pH modification

2 Likes

Anychance anyone is local in socal la longbeach area wants to do some consulting on this or better yet clean this material for me.

We are doing a 2nd run rightnow on our first degass pass…and temps are in 1torr which is ridiculious…idk what the hell is going on

Color in the feed tube

Excuse the mess… but in about to bash my Pope on the floor :joy:

1 Like

That color in the feed tube looks nice! What kind of cleaning procedures do you use on the pope? Beaker and wrench sell “wiped kleen” and I’m sure @Lilibel or ace would be your best consultant in so cal.

Before you bash your pope, I may be interested in buying it

5 Likes

We know lily and ace solid company solid people all around top notch products…i just dont want bug them its not that serious… but im going to keep pluggin away and figure this out.

Finally got some gold out of this god forsaken run…thanks for everyones input! Always appreciated. Yield is going to be horrible but we will make it work

3 Likes

What did you end up doing?

1 Like

Did a whole degass pass on my pope and ran it through again at lower temps … material is super cheap but just not worth the work to be honest

1 Like

hey there! I came across your thread as I too was given (as a replacement for the significant loss for product i purchased) some black, sticky, chlorophyll smelling crude.

Although I am using a short path I was hoping you would be able to share your SOP for extracting a nice color from what sounds like a similar starting material. If you would be so kind to do so please start with filtration steps and then distillation steps. I have about 5L’s of this stuff and dont want it to go to waste. thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

I figure I should ask now since I came across this, but I never understood how celite is only rated at ~20 micron yet is so effective at removing carbon when used as a filter bed on a 20 micron paper. Yet if you solely use a paper or fritted disk that’s higher than .5 micron, the carbon ends up getting through. Is there more to it than just the micron rating?

2 Likes

Perhaps polarity? By that I mean things just want to stick to each other. Idk, just a guess. Good question.

2 Likes