DISTILLATION WITH Acetone crude - some help

So we have been using a pope wfe for years now… crazy thing is we have never ran Acetone crude… always bho/co2 only that is good quality and smells great… We winterize in ethyalch 200proof charcoal degum ect… is there anything i need to know or do?

This Acetone crude is Black, dark, hideous and smells horrible.

The contact says he ran nice indoor trim …i said it smells like your ran nice indoor rats… lol any ways the price point is where i wanted it and the guy is a older gentelmen a farm upnorth … honest guy that wants to develop a relationship with us.

Anyone that has processed Acetone crude your advice or tips is highly appreciated

3 Likes

Why would anyone want to use acetone to make crude… That just makes me cringe

1 Like

Acetone is polar so You have a lot of clorophyl in that crude
I would try @Beaker
Iso propyl / water boil and pass over alumina iT takes out quit Some chlorphyl
Or Brine washes till You can t or want to hear the word salt :grinning:
If the material has been harvested and extracted recent iT s worth the effort

3 Likes

Whats a brine wash …you mean charc wash the shit out of it?

No a Brine wash is solving your crude in a non polar solvent pentane,hexane,heptane
In a 1 crude 4 solvent ratio
Then You Ad water that is saturated with NaCl kitchen salt without Any Aditives
Same volume
You shake the hell out of this mixture and place in a seperatory funnel
Let them seperate and run out the salted water keep ading and discarting salted water till water stays clear
Could take 20 x :cry:

6 Likes

It’s nothing special really. Almost the same as using alcohol to extract with. Make sure to use the correct seals as viton is not compatible and the acetone will dissolve polypropylene so never let it touch plastics. Always check chemical compatibility with all materials you are using.

7 Likes

Im not extracting…i have acetone crude that i need to distill. And i have never distilled acetone in my life …just bho/hexane/co2

Once the crude is decarbed iT Will yust be crude No diffrent than Any other solvent extracted crude
But because iT is extracted with Acetone iT Will have a lot off polar atracted compounds in iT off Wich chlorophyl is one
I recomend cleaning the crude thoughroly
Before disstilation because Some of these compounds Will degradade your Distillate
Like chlorophyl giving your Distillate a bitter taste

2 Likes

Do a hot pass on the pope to rip all the water soluble junk out into the cold trap 185/135 outside/inside

2 Likes

I used to extract with acetone and dry ice; as the chemist who patented that originally taught me extraction.

Acetone and Dry Ice makes beautiful oil. If you extract -78C, it has similar properties to ethanol. And your washes don’t need to be as long.

It has a lower boiling point than ethanol, so it can be a little more explosive in the roto. Once you have crude, it shouldn’t much different than any other crude in the ShortPath.

6 Likes

Appreciate all the insight and help fellas. Thank you

I second this. I’ve make some insane acetone extracts too.

5 Likes

UPDATE : SO I CHARC WASHED 3 TIMES DEGASSED IN MY POPE AND I RAN A LITER AT MY NORMAL TEMPS BEFORE I RUN THE OTHER 14L … DISTALLITE LOOKS GOOD BUT STILL A FEW SHADES DARKER THEN MY USUAL NON ACETONE START MATERIAL. What should i do?

Distill everything as normal and take my end product distallate and do a charcoal wash on it and filter then roto vap the alcohol? Clay? Magi? (8L Distallite)

Looking for something quick and easy what are your thoughts ?

Equipment I have

Pope wfe
Beaker n wrench outletpumps
Beaker n wrench 20L stainess feed flask
Beaker n wrench filter system
Drain droid neg vacum pressure dewaxing system
2 50L rotovaps

What can i do with what i have?

VD2013

10h

UPDATE : SO I CHARC WASHED 3 TIMES DEGASSED IN MY POPE AND I RAN A LITER AT MY NORMAL TEMPS BEFORE I RUN THE OTHER 14L … DISTALLITE LOOKS GOOD BUT STILL A FEW SHADES DARKER THEN MY USUAL NON ACETONE START MATERIAL. What should i do?

Distill everything as normal and take my end product distallate and do a charcoal wash on it and filter then roto vap the alcohol? Clay? Magi? (8L Distallite)

Equipment I have

Pope wfe
2 50L rotovaps

What can i do with what i have?

VD2013

10h

Equipment I have

Pope wfe
2 50L rotovaps

What can i do with what i have?..

Well after first pass al cleanup sops can be done so Yes
Carbon scrubing hot works beter than room temp
Same with magsil
And then there are several liquid/ liquid sop s that can be done
So how much effort You want to Trow in ?
As long as You keep track of your ph When scrubing those methods are great

2 Likes

Bleaching earth, activated carbon, and alumina, mix at 60°C, filter

5 Likes

I would check ph before evaporating the ethanol of and before heating the second pass
Since Carbon and earth can be acitic leaching acid in the solution and creating unwanted isomerizations
But Yeah seems like a can t fail mix :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Do you wash with fresh water and check pH of that water or do you just pH test the solution itself? What if you’re using Heptane as your solvent?

Check ph If solution iT self and otherwise
Ad Some absorbant that needs to be checked to Some water and check ph
Knowing the ph If your absorbants And Active coal even before starting using them makes iT clearer as to what to expect When added to oil in solution or crude

3 Likes