Dirt/soil in trim?

Hey guys so we just processed 200lbs of material the other day and the material had quite a bit of soil in it, we extracted using denatured ethanol (95% etoh 5% heptane) ran -60c or below and soaked for 25 minutes . The issue is we dissolved it in 190proof food grade etoh and it sat for 22 hours at -20c and saw no fats dissipate. We have seen fats dissipate a room temp In 190 proof before so why would we see non of this?

Maybe you did a really good job at keeping the fats out when you did the extraction? I’ve blasted some damn good oil super transparent, and when I went to winterize it little-to-none fats precipitated.

1 Like

eh I’m not so sure about the quality of the extract but it’s hard to say as I think the dirt is clouding it up, maybe I should add that this is the our first time doing etoh lol*

Man I’ve seen workers on the hill drop some frosty/heavy plants straight into the dirt. Breaks my heart seeing frosty nugs get caked with dirt. The fats could very well be in there but just being hidden behind the dust that is also in there. Only one way to find out! Let’s see what that Büchner funnel looks like after you filter

2 Likes

Haha I’m not to sure as I’ve only dealt with bho. But one thing I you could do is take some of your extract remove the ethanol and dissolve in some methanol. When I’ve dissolved a slab in methanol the fats instantly dropped out.

1 Like

Sorry should of said we filtered it and nothing was filtered becomes some more dirt** :upside_down_face:

We do a 10 micron filtration after the material has soaked and oooof you should of seen the way it was caked with dirt, and more go through, the only issue is as I’ve been reading is that soil can be as low as 2 micron and we don’t have 1 micron filter socks yet…

Anyone have an idea where one could acquire filter socks that aren’t online?

We been rotoing the solvent as is after the 10 micron filtration but the coating on the bottom of the buckets is rough and I know dirt is in the crude…

methanol Is on order! Super excited for the whole room temp Dewax… have you tried doing a cold dewax after the room temp? Did you find any wax’s in it?

1 Like

let me know how it goes using methanol. I’m going to be winterizing quite a few liters pretty soon with limited freezer space. It would be nice to use methanol instead. :+1:

Using methanol.
Is it the same steps as using etoh?

1 Like

I did a warm filter then put it in the freezer for 3days and nothing else came out

1 Like

Have you attempted to add a flocculant to the solution to cause the dust to settle at the bottom of the container? @Intergalactic

1 Like

have you considered adding more dirt?

I haven’t tried adding DE to sock filters, and it may not work in a sock unless you’re also spinning it in a fuge.

do you have a buchner around?
http://future4200.com/search?q=buchner

access to magic dirt?
http://future4200.com/search?q=depth+filter
http://future4200.com/search?q=filter+aid

3 Likes

Currently filtering through 545 as we speak in my crc column! The diaphragm pump isn’t enjoying it at all… and isn’t de actually fossils :wink: . 545 in a sock I believe to be the most infective way to do. You’d have to fill the entire and by doing that you just lost the purpose of the sock, surface area! So we’re in agreement there!

2 Likes

No I would be afraid of how it could react in the spd

Amazing!

It doesnt take much t5 to cause the effect of floccuation. And if you decide to siphon off the solution you wont be including any solid particles in your boiling flask and you wont have to worry about isomerizeiton issues. The t5 and the soil will be left at the bottom of the flask and can be filtered separately, no media left to cause isomerization.

1 Like

Sure.
However, it’s not a huge stretch from “earth” to “dirt” :wink:

3 Likes

I did not realize t-5 could behave like that, honestly I just looked up “flocculant” and saw some interesting chemicals and was like nope, however your advice is always solid and so I should of taken it more seriously

1 Like

Ive tried to make a big deal about flocculants so more people understand the phenomenon. Very useful for people who dont have expensive filtration contraptions.

3 Likes

Hey! We’re all dirt here :wink:

2 Likes