DE Filtration sequence

I am using a Waters BBES CO2 extractor. Once I extract my Cann and Waxes, I then hi speed/hi shear homog my crude extract with 5:1 etoh before winterization at -67c. Heres my question: When do I DE filter? Before winterization or after? Then I continue with my med and slow filters in a buchner funnel within interim freezing. Do I save my Carbon Filtration to the end before rotovap or do with my DE? Thanks Guys.

What is the purpose of filtering through DE? Cold filter for wax, carbon filter for color,

DE is a filter aid, it’s supposed to be placed on top of your filter membrane to be used as a depth filter. The purpose for using it is to mitigate the amount of solid particles that come into contact with your membrane, which extends the life of your filter.

The only time you should use it is to remove the fine particles that would be missed by conventional filters. It’s good for removing carbon dust especially.

5 Likes

Thank you. Just to confirm., the solution passed thru the DE hss been winterized? And then is that DE filtered solution run thru my carbon filter to remove chlorophyl?

carbon will bind chlorophyll. i dont think you’ll be needing any DE. what scale are you working on?

Carbon will adsorb chlorophyll among other things so beware. I should specify that “Celite 545” is the DE product whose properties I’m referring to when I say DE.

Passing a solution thru a bed of DE will not winterize a solution if that’s what you’re asking. But if the solution is cold enough for the waxes to preciptate then you can use the layer of DE to filter the precipitates as well as any solid particulates.

3 Likes

Pass the solution thru DE after you’ve passed it thru a carbon filter. This way the DE has a chance to catch the carbon dust particles suspended in solution after passing thru the carbon filter.

2 Likes

We are passing about 2L max thru homog to rotovap as we dial in our settings, etoh to crude ratios ( we are using a 5:1) , buchner funnel filter stages medium to slow, etc. Finding that we still have alot of waxes in our “filtered” oil even after winterization and 2-3 stage of filtering. Have been reading posts here that you should put the AC into the extract to be filtered, then pour that over the DE bed in the funnel.

Go 10:1 and are you maintaining those temperatures during filtration?

Re temp during filtration: we winterize at -50oc over night then filter cold.

youll need to maintain that temperature during filtration. dry ice will be your best friend. you can also re-winterize and youll get additional waxes to crash out. 2 micron filter

Oops!

THC will not precipitate in ethanol

Thanks YeahBet for your comments and advice. Getting and keeping dry ice in Jamaica is all but impossible. I can keep freeze at -67c between all filtration stages. I am sure this will keep my waxes lipids precipitated and work towards an extract to then clean up and polish thru DE/AC.

2 Likes

You can buy a kit to make your own dry ice with co2 compressed in a tank. Fairly wasteful but it works and its cheap to refill a tank.

@ScoobyDoobie explained it well - DE is used to capture very fine particulates ( like powered carbon) . It’s a filtration aid mainly. Can also be used to assist in removing waxes especially those which get past membrane filters.

Thank you, definitely aware of the purposes of DE, was asking in order to help the guy out.

You got it! You’re welcome :slight_smile:

Thanks all. Will share my results and pics after we complete.