Difference bewteen D9 and D9 converted distillate

If distillate is converted does it have same effect? What’s the difference between 80% D9 and 80% D9 converted?

The isomerizations of the compounds making up that remaining 20%

14 Likes

Smoking it or eating u wont notice a difference unless it was processed improperly. Most well made cbd to d9 conversions account for 99% of the TAC its just some goes to d8, some stays in cbd form and some might convert to cbn. U could have 80%d9, 17%d8, 2.5%cbd,0.4%cbn for example.
I doubt the people who are capable of converting cbd to d9, with > 80%d9, are getting lots of unknowns. Cbd to d9 isnt easy, it usually wants to go d8

13 Likes

any aspect of the unknowns left out, I can confirm that well converted cbd > d9 has the same effect aa high d9 distillate.
My experience relates to vaping.

5 Likes

I recently saw some d9 distillate for sale as I’m looking to fill more of my personal supply of carts and these guys have a COA that’s showing 10%d8 in there. Is that an indication that this was a converted batch or can normally distilled d9 distillate have so much d8 in there?

3 Likes

THC distillate does not usually contain D8 in any appreciable levels unless something was done wrong (or intended to be converted), like not removing all absorbent particulate prior to distillation. Whether the batch you reference is converted CBD or a botched THC distillation, there is clearly some isomerization happening.

8 Likes

I think it is safe to say, if you find d8 in your liter of d9 disty, that liter started life as CBD.

8 Likes

Or they didn’t neutralize, or didn’t filter out powder particulate properly. There’s lots of ways to get d8 accidentally.

If you have 98+% active cannabinoids and some of its d8, then it’s likely been converted.

5 Likes

Yes, all of which are reasons to steer clear of those liters. But people are greedy…and the cannabis industry is full of snakes…buyers be ware. Or buy converted liters and do your thing. I dont really care.

I always use LLE with pH swing and a powder stack when I’m making my distillate. I’d usually get 0-3% d8 on my non converted stuff.

In the end, as long as there’s not some weird side reactions going on; it’s molecularly identical.

99% of people wouldn’t even be able to tell the difference qualitatively from a 90% d9 distillate to a 50% d9 40% d8 distillate.

7 Likes

What is the going street price for 80%+ d9 converted from cbd?

This was sold to me as unconverted disty. What’s your thoughts?

Seems like D9 from actual cannabis because if it was from a converted CBD isolate it would not contain CBG or CBC (though CBC can be confused with D10). The potency is ND on CBD and D8 so it’s pretty conclusive that it’s not converted.

7 Likes

Thanks this is exactly the answer I was looking and hoping for!

2 Likes

I imagine it won’t be long til people spike converted d9 with CBG to look legit, all you have to do after that is find a lab that doesn’t care to look into coeluting cannabinoids any further/identifies d10 as CBC

6 Likes

Ya that also brings up the fact that I’ve never personally seen any “cannabis” (above 10% THCA D9) strains that contain such high levels of CBG

Edit: when accounting for extract potency increases it would be safe to assume starting material contained 0.5-2% CBG… which would seem more believable

4 Likes

My spidey-sences’ the beginning of major @tom_foolery gonna be happening very very soon

5 Likes

That’s a real L … d9 converts to CBN
No cbd detected anywhere
Other cannabinoids present
Seems like a proper L that started life as 8% trim

1 Like

They are exactly the same. Conversions are so good now they are nearing isolate level, in fsct you can buy solventless hemo.derived d9 thca powder now pretty easily. Most conversions I see are 94% THC and nesrly 97 or 98% total cannabanoids. The entire profile can be rebuilt, CBC added, CBG added. Ive seen conversions so good now that they are ND on D8. If you get MJ disty and its more than 91 or 92 at most percent thc its suspect.

2 Likes

Saying that converted is the same as naturally occurring D9 THC both at let’s say 90% THC purity concentration is the same is generally speaking an ignorant thing to say. There NORMALLY is a significant difference in the stereochemistry. Naturally occurring cannabis derived D9 is 80 to 90% (R). Depending on the reaction conditions, harsher conditions will push toward equilibrium 50/50 (R-S).

2 Likes