Did I kill my vacuum gauge?

Not sure what happened, but noticed my gauge was sitting like this. It’s a gauge on my vacuum decarb vessel. It was working fine yesterday before the last run. Maybe the vessel developed too much pressure and since it’s only a vacuum gauge it failed?

its probably dead but you could try putting some iso or etoh down the brass to see if its got some gunk built up.

2 Likes

so it pushed across the stopper?

Don’t think it’s possible to push past the stopper, it’s gone past max vac some how. I wasn’t actively pulling a vac, the chamber was sealed before heating and decarbing

it looks like a little chrome stud at zero and the needle behind it> if that isnt it whats the issue? I havent opened up a failed one but I somehow dont think it failed due to the vac. it looks stuck behind the stopper. I have failed gauges from both bvv and hfs. At least hfs has grat customer service- bvv has ZERO customer service. i saw that winter brand on ebay too.

Correct, that is the problem. It should be above it with zero vac. It appears as though it’s pushed past the chrome stopper, but I don’t know if that’s possible. The chrome stud has a flattened end on top to prevent it from slipping over. I feel like if it slipped over, the needle would of suffered some damage jumping over the chrome stud. The needle is rather close to the gauge surface, doesn’t appear to be any wiggle room

1 Like

maybe air was flowing and the needle bent up and across I dunno? I have one with a wavy background like air was flowing?Ive never seen the insides so i dunno whats going on in there. I dont think they need to be sealed if its working, stick a wire in a small hole and move the needle past that stud and it may work if youre cheap like me

I would rule this suicide

5 Likes

Kind of a bummer, I special ordered this, it’s a winters pfp series all stainless steel, wanna say it was $75

get a compound guage, only 15- 50 bux, and get 2 so you have a spare.

2 Likes

I’ve had a gauge fail and suck all the glycerin out of it into a collection pot full of oil.

Sucks, but they’re almost a consumable item if you get cheapos like that.

(I use cheapos too)

2 Likes

there is no need t=for oil filled on our systems= its not shaking hopefully.

Yeah, I learned the hard way to drain all the fluid out of em

I ruined a batch with mineral oil leaking in from the vac pump once. OOPS turn off valve

1 Like

Kinda worried about this. This batch of live resin is very runny. Dunno remember if it was glycerine filled or not

Oh man, bummer.

I fucking was so upset, but I had to trash it lol.

JB vacuum gages are good quality and inexpensive.
They have no oil options.

Cool, I didn’t think it was glycerine filled, looks like it’s not. Allegedly the front can be removed for calibration or repair

Guess the live is just too terpy

1 Like

what were you doing with it again? how do you decarb under vac? or am i conflating threads?

@thumper is on point.

If you pressurized it (and you did) that poor thing it’s dead (not suicide either).

Get a compound gage 30/30? Depends what pressure your prv is set to. More than 90% gauge pressure can wreck a gauge.

This one was rated for 15PSI (0 gauge) you feed it way more than that I’m guessing

3 Likes