Did I do a good job on this EHO or not?

I ran an extraction in cryo (around -80C) ethanol, filtered thru sediment filter (50um, 10um, 1um), rotovaped most of the ethanol, warmed the ethanol solution to ~65-70C and stirred with activated carbon for an hour, filtered over celite, winterized at 0C for 24 hr, filtered, and then at -65C for 24 hr, filtered, and evaporated ethanol.

This is what I ended up with, 100g:

Looks not so good to me. But when it’s taken out of the jar and spread more thinly it looks nice:

And another:

So is this normal? Did I do a good job or a shitty job? The color of the extract in the jar looks awful. Is this typical of jarred EHO?

Also, a previous extraction started out looking like the pics above, but over the course of a couple weeks sitting in a jar seems to have precipitated something? Here is a picture:

It’s hard to tell from the picture, but small granular crystals formed. The bottom of the jars contained larger sized crystals. I wish I had tried dissolving them it water at the time, but I didn’t. Are these plant sugars or something? They seemed like to large a percentage of the total weight/volume to be simply sugars. What causes their formation? Tips for getting rid of them? I was thinking dissolve in hexane and wash with water?

Thanks, this community has been incredible!

4 Likes

Accidently grows thc Crystal’s from EHO, then proceeds to ask how to get rid of them oh man your funny.

Many people wish they could get Crystals to form with ethanol extractions. You did a great job :clap:

20 Likes

That is good quality ethanol hash oil.

The crystals you are seeing are THCa crystals and they are a good thing. THCA is what the plant forms, once heated during smoking, dabbing, or cooking it converts to the d9THC that gets us high.

Cold extraction is the way to go and you are doing good work man. Keep it up

5 Likes

I had considered that but ruled it out as it seemed too good to be true, lol.

1 Like

The first 100g jar pic doesnt look great, but the second jar u showed looked awesome for bulk EHO. Are you using 190 or 200 proof or denatured?

3 Likes

I don’t see any need to be winterizing after your first extraction and scrub

8 Likes

Heptane denatured from 710 spirits.

1 Like

@MagisterChemist is correct. Winterization step is likely not needed

4 Likes

My last “soak” got a little warm on accident (-20C) and I combined all volumes of ethanol from each soak so I decided to winterize as a precaution. But yeah, I plan to omit that step in the future. Still trying to figure out “soak” times to maximize yield while retaining good color.

1 Like

No need for a carbon scrub, unless color remediation is needed.

Your color looks like my etoh pull n snap I made.
Same steps, but no carbon.

1 Like

given that your jar crystallized, I’m going to suggest more work on that last step might be a good idea. if you’ve pulled the ethanol out to below 1000ppm, chances are you won’t get crystallization.

can you elaborate on your solvent removal?

for me it’s rotovap, then vac oven at 30-32C for 48hrs or so. not certain what that is getting me for ppm because OR doesn’t actually test for ethanol :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Basically same as you. Rotovap most of the way, pour out while it’s still fluid enough to move and vac purge ~115-125F for a day or two. No upper limit for ethanol in the regs so the lab doesn’t test for it. Have used heptane denatured ethanol though and results have showed no heptane.

2 Likes

Hi, what was the soak time?
Thanks

Back then I was doing 30 min soak in 5 gal bucket inside a -80C freezer. So 30 mins at ~-80C. But if I remember correctly this stuff may have also been scrubbed with activated carbon. By that I mean, added AC to ethanolic solution and stirred for 30 mins, then filtered over celite.

Now I’ve moved to shorter soaks 3-5 minutes and the color is way nicer.

This is the last run I did soaking for 3 mins and rotovaped at 30C. No pic jarred up, because it went right onto parchment paper and into oven. Unfortunately it all sugared.

6 Likes