After I have acidified butane, the butane is distilled, does this carry over any acid properties or will the solvent be neutralized
If you send me an sop of what you do after you do the extraction step
I could tell you if it leaves or otherwise.
If you do an evaporation step? or winterize, …all depends of what you do.
in general if you did a LLE with water…gently…you would pull any excess…ie distilled water wash…but if you do an evaporation step
it will be gone…ie low temp vacuum assist.
You can smell the acetic acid protonated form, or taste the vinegar in aqueous.
concentrated AcOH is dangerous to work with…
and you don’t need much.
do a small batch with pentane…0.1% is only 100 ul/100 ml
I’m simply asking if I distill acidified butane, will the distilled solvent will be neutralized completely?
If the acid you used has a drastically different boiling point than your solvent then it probably wont distill with the solvent.
True but you’d be surprised what can be carried great distances in a vapor phase. I see this with sediment at the neck of the rotovap
What temp are you boiling your butane @ ? I dont go over 33c
If I wanted it out of my alkane-organic phase, I would LLE with distilled
water, 3x. I would not try to distill it.
I am assuming you are going for THCA…correct…
but that is not exactly possible with butane.
do you mean after extraction on the butane recovery step?,
first I would assume the bulk is adorbed to the biomass or in the
bho concentrate…very little in the butane phase that boils off at low temp…it should self clean, but mass transfer may bump a little over.
At the levels we are dealing with, it is minor.
Unfortunately, I can not guess better that that…
Any excess would end up in the bho…which is viscous.
Carefully Mix ten ml of acetic acid with 100 ml of butane in a large graduated cylinder, leave it in the hood until it reaches room temp.
read how much acetic acid is left over.
Probably 37 c at the most
I doubt it. I may be wrong, but I think it will co-distill.
A quick look in azetrope tables show that for example acetic acid in hexane forms an azetrope with 6% acetic acid. So 1‰ ought to boil over in butane.
LOL
(extra characters)
I mean, I guess dred pirate is pushing mids and crude here.
Why do you keep saying you need to add an acid and we are not making thca…
I am not sure that you understand, and I definitely am not the one to try to explain it, .
Suffice it to say that I believe thca is being extracted.
He definitely understands, it’s us that doesn’t understand him.
Well I skipped 10th grade and had no real chemistry classes…
But you’ve had like real chemistry classes?
What was your schooling, if I can ask…are you a chemistry major…or chemist as a job?
I’m just trying to gauge my next comments
@_joe @Franklin is definitely correct. @moronnabis
is saying without acidification there is the possibility for thca to form a salt or have something else happen by binding with a basic ion or deprotonating. Still not sure it’s happening but it is totally possible and something I don’t think a lot of us have considered.
I can promise you moronabis is very knowledge in chemistry. More so than myself but I am thankful he and others have pushed my understanding with each interaction.
Basically he is saying how are you sure your solution isn’t effecting the THCa by having parts that are basic.
Tetrahydrocannabinolate is the conjugate base. Can it crystallise? And would hplc be able to tell the difference?
Being a differently compound, wouldn’t it move differently on the HPLC column than thca?
I would think so. This could rule out the deprotonation being the issue as even the chalk tests at 98%+ thca