Diamonds turning into chalk post separation

Anyone having this happening before your spinning the terps off. Starting to wonder if it’s just some kinda weird oxidation…

Has this happened to any stone while drowning in terps or only once it’s out the terpene solution?

1 Like

Still won’t dissolve and then what does dissolve turns back into chalky diamonds

I think dred posted a pic of some diamonds he made sitting inside a small jar with terps that chalked up. I had an hour long convo with a high precision rep and didn’t come to any resolution. The extensive testing was mentioned and they do test for benzene. I believe they and other gas providers are doing what they can to provide the cleanest gas possible. I will be getting coas and new cylinders next time and do a test run with that. At this point I’m thinking it’s the terps as well. Ptane diamonds don’t have terps since it’s pure thca being crystallized as butane diamonds do. Now, if that were the case….what terpene is getting trapped in the facets creating thca separation from the diamond upon being exposed out of mother liquor solution? I know we all trust our growers and have removed the source material from the equation. Also crc media has been tested by some and has been taken out of the equation. So if it’s a compound in the gas getting trapped then the labs we currently use don’t use the proper gear to test for the unknown. Only way I see this compound being detected is by finding a source that does testing for compounds our current labs don’t test for. I mean shit people don’t even know wtf is the % in d8 that are not cannabinoids so I wouldn’t expect them to find the culprit here either. Even if we find out what is causing it, how will we go about resolving the issue?

2 Likes

I literally just got 100lb tank from high precision gas last month, I can get batch number if needed. Was outta Tulsa Oklahoma

Weve made multiple diamonds and even fuged the terps off none of them chalked up at all

To me this rules out the gas. But idk for sure was 70/30. Even come w.cool lil tote bag w high precision label. I’d never heard them but it was closes gas to my client. It’s doing completely fine. However every run has been crc lustermax run

2 Likes

Your supply is most likely months old on the gas. Once it starts hitting your area you will see

4 Likes

Can’t we look on the tank and pull batch numbers?

3 Likes

I love this guy!!! :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::clap:t3:

3 Likes

This is the biggest hint IMO. I believe there are two different lattices occurring. One from “temp” another from “evaporation”. I think @Dred_pirate mentioned that the formations would dissolve again when placed into a oven. That’s makes sense to me. Same reason that the crash the occurs from a “cold crash” dissolves once the jar is introduced to a warmer temp. Solubility change. If you ever produced cold crystals and pulled them out they tend to “chalk”. I have some old pics of this.

I have noticed different temps cause different morphologies. Seems like there is a mixture occurring that is giving the similarities of facets we achieve through evaporation but the chalking or whiting out from a cold growth.

What is strange is that it is happening at temps they have operated before. Where, technically, our solvent is still “highly soluble” but yet it’s acting as if it isn’t at 60-65°. Less terpene production could in theory lead for a need of more solvent for the same rate of saturation, leading to faster and earlier crashes.

@Dred_pirate and I talked today as well. It’s intriguing to see if the propylene possibility might be a culprit of the solubility changes.

So needless to say I don’t know what’s is happening and just as intrigued as everyone else. I myself have not had this happen yet I did notice the beginning of those bar like crystal once when I left a pour out at booth temperature overnight but that got whipped up into badder and I never seen anything else like it.

15 Likes

Those are actually some cool looking blooms! And rectangular even…

You might be on to something with the cold crash theory

6 Likes

Yea that’s where I guess I was going with that as well. The “urchins” seem to be a mix of the “puffs” or “balls” and the bars. It’ll be dope to actually see if we can notice different lattice structures when observed up close. They were grown in a regular freezer. Not as cold as DI or a DF but still freezing.

7 Likes

You are right in the fact that the solvent is behaving like it’s 50 degrees colder than it actually is. It’s strange.

3 Likes

Just weird our process didn’t change but now we get chalk unless we use a different sop. Just weird a sop that worked for years is now having weird results and I know 11 others having the same isssue. Why are so many people that had dialed sops just now having the issue. We get urchins when we cold crash but those are not seeming to be related. The issue was all cold crashes now dont want to redisolve in butane.

8 Likes

The earth has been a different place lately. Thinking outside the box here. Is there some weird possible way something mother nature is doing might be causing this? A shift in the poles, Atmospheric pressure changing because the worlds on fire. Gravity is just a little heavier these days. Its an oddball comment but sometimes thats what we need to break up our thoughts.

6 Likes

I’m going to take a fat diamond dab and read this again.

2 Likes

Good idea. The boy just went to bed. Out comes the rig. BIG inhale: So if we pour diamonds and they turn into chalk man, Does that like make the world a chalk board, Woaaahhhhhhhhhh dudeeeeee.

1 Like

I do think we need to eliminate a further variable or two, the carbon length of solvent
on a odd number C vs even number C. Butane even #, dual forms.
Pentane odd# one form ALWAYS. Someone needs to try n-hexane.

can this be filled in with propane behavior?

If there is a carbon number (enhacement or inhibition) on crystalline form,
slight variations of butane/isobutane ratios might be problematic…??

1.)perhaps the “contaminate is butane in the form of iso-B”

2.) it is also possible that numerous forms of THCA in solution are “contaminates”:
everyone needs to think about intamolecular h-bonding of phenolic H to the carboxylic acid
moiety. (2 forms) depending on the aprotic environment’s effective pH.
A review of titration curves of salicylic acid will suffice.

the latter case , THCA multiforms in solution “contaminate or stabilize” certain crystal forms.
I can not stress the importance of pH variations in these regards.

The greatest number of compounds that may cause variation in “effective pH”
are found in the “crude” BHO. Someone needs to wash a BHO (butane onlyn no CRC)
with 3% HCl, rinse with saline, rinse with H2O a couple of times. Dry soln…

Will BHO, with THCA forced into the THCA H+ form crystallize normally…
and will it keep its form or not.

I am just making sure the “simple concepts” are well defined.

6 Likes

For what it’s worth… I have seen the fast crashing with customers running Iso, but not the chalk issue. I also have a lab or two doing propane diamonds and no issues. I don’t have their SOP’s or anything but if C number idea has any traction there’s some field reports.

4 Likes

Ya I get that. At first I was thinking post processing since it happens at cooler temps and not warmer oven, while also giving a different morphology, but After reading through the post I think you guys are onto something with the gas. It def sounds like something is fucking with the solubility of the n-tane making it act as if it’s cooler.

4 Likes

thank you…now we need n hexane

addendum: in reference to the titration of salicylic acid noted above, please read: Canadian Science Publishing

Figure 1, shows a clear tipping point…(form rearrangement).
This is a titration of the carboxyl …hydrogen bonded hydroxyl complex
in Benzene. (as apposed to titration of the phenolic Proton at 9.5 or so) So if Butane, sauce - terp solutions are any where near this tipping point…the observations may prove relevent.
for those that do not understand, Salicylic acid is a good model for the behavior
of the carboxylic acid moeity of THCA in solutions and how it reacts (changes form)
in reponse to pH changes.

6 Likes

I think @Dred_pirate has been messing with it recently

3 Likes