Diamonds turning into chalk post separation

fixed it, thanks
here it is again in correct form:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plantsci.2019.04.008

Everyone should read this paper…
it clearly demonstrates that the THCA synthase enzyme, isolated from
the capitate glandular trichome, is functional in hydrophobic solvent,
Hexane.

3 Likes

When I used hexane to re-x it turned into these same shapes. It didn’t Medusa however

I don’t use butane either hexane in it however as the case me be here

2 Likes

?
I am not sure exactly what you mean.
are you saying you redissolved chalked crystals in Hexane and recrystallized. And the recrystallized material chalked up again?

No I’m saying long ago before Medusa stones I was trying different solvents to recrash thca

The Medusa stone grow fast and have a peculiar shape similar to what I saw when I used hexane

2 Likes

When you used hexane did the crystals ever form chalk?
were they stable ?

curious…did you have an acid step? Or was it a direct bho crash?

thanks in advance…
regards,

Update:

So I started a new tank of butane yesterday, and sure enough I am now experiencing the fast crash/irregular formations.

5 Likes

Video format is off.

1 Like

Uploaded a new one, is it working now?

2 Likes

Indubitably

5 Likes

Could you explain for the rest of the class what an “acid step” would be when using hexane?

No…but I will gladly refer you to an example in the literature: WO2018235079A1
In the example of preparing CBDA from CBD you will note this sentence:
“Then the reaction is cooled to 0 C, acidified with 10% hydrochloric acid and extracted with ether.”

the author is Mechoulam…I will let you carry on from here.

best regards,

2 Likes

Couple interesting things we’ve experienced. We’ve seen an uptick in sales of dimethylether going into the industry. One of the companies using the gas advises that the bio does not need to be completely dried before starting the extraction process.

We sell 200 proof etoh and anhydrous HCl to a pharma reagent manufacturer that blends it and ships to large scale extractors (no idea what the blend is or to whom they provide). Could that blend be functional in this process?

1 Like

That is exactly about protonating the COOH!

Now I want to be clear…the main conceptual problem about extracting with butane is unique to butane…ie, we know it works but how or why it works…is the conceptual problem…it is more of a problem of describing the intracacies of the trichome storage area and somewhat less…
concerning the “form” that is in “solution”.

Now when you move into dimethylether and ethanol…we are in a whole
new ball game. Dimethylether is more polar than butane, and Ethanol
is considered protic…in the broad sense of the term.
When you move to the later two…you have to consider the residual water you extract from the plant. Most dried marijauna is about 10%
H20. So if we are using Ethanol mixed with HCl…it just mixes with residual water…But Ethanol is an entire different ball game.
I specialize in Water, Ethanol water extracts of Cannabis. Yes we add an acid in the very first step…sometimes we add NaOH (lye).
It all depends on what ionic form we want THCA to be in.
So when you ask “could that blend be functional in this process”
do you mean anhydrous HCl in Butane…or do you mean the same principles apply?

1 Like

The question was referring to HCl / ethanol blend.

Wasn’t trying to talk above my pay grade, but when I read about using acid in the process, it reminded me that our customer mentioned the reagent was going into some part of the extraction industry.

It was my understanding that the DME was simply used as an extraction solvent. I agree that it will pull moisture from the plants, maybe even a lot of other unwanted materials as well. Yet, we are getting requests for it, so it must have some plusses associated with using it.

I haven’t checked into the locations we’ve shipped to, but all shipments have been pallets of 9 * 125 pound cylinders. Definitely industrial extractor operations. We’ve even had a request for bulk DME.

1 Like

The anhdrous HCL in anhydous EtOH could be used for extraction.
the anhydrous part is puzzling. For extraction, I would assume the
chem engineers know water is in the plant…so who cares about anhydrous. Also for primary extraction, I think it would be difficult to recover the alcohol with out serious problems with the HCl.
It may also be for the conversion of CBD to D8 D9 industry.

There are FDA?(ATF and USDA) dictates about which mixtures of alcohol are defined a denatured and can be used in food preparation. And can be sold for less, no tax.
It is very possible that the EtOH/HCl is approved, but 95% ethanol mixed with HCl water mixtures is not. It is non logical I have researched it a bit.

Any danger of explosive peroxide formations with dimethyl ether?

1 Like

No one on this forum utilizes an acid step, who has posted and shared in detail about their process.

Kind think that should be obvious, if you’ve spent any time on here, but I’m glad to help fill in that information. Folks are utilizing solvent, gathering miscella… no acid.

1 Like

I hadn’t heard of peroxide formation from DME. Googled it and saw references to both Diethylene Glycol Dimethyl Ether, CAS 111-96-6 and Diethylether, CAS 60-29-7. Nothing for DME 115-10-6.

Most ethers form explosive peroxides, that’s why I asked. I’ve looked on the internet very thoroughly a while ago and could hardly find any information on it at all.

I just assumed that it was overlooked and never mentioned as a solvent. Is there anyone you can talk to who would know for sure whether it forms peroxides?

I believe @Franklin might have DME confused with Diethyl Ether.

I can confirm DME is an excellent extraction solvent. Not just for cannabis either.

2 Likes