Diamonds turning into chalk post separation

I’m guessing it’s trapped solvent due to the lower temps

2 Likes

But our diamonds come back nd on solvent

Dirty coffee cup memes explain everything

3 Likes

But what solvent. One that is supposed to be there or not?

I was just reading back on the firsts posts. Idk what it would be at this point. It’s definitely strange how it turned from a crystal to a powder. @johnbigoilco does it break down into powder if you handle it or does it still break into shards?

This is strange for sure. Never seen diamonds sugar out like shatter does

2 Likes

It appears @Photon_noir is the Benzene expert. Found more:

Biphenyl - Wikipedia
Biphenyl (also known as diphenyl , phenylbenzene , 1,1′-biphenyl , lemonene or BP )

2 Likes

@johnbigoilco is everything chalking out still or was it just that batch?

1 Like

Damn this is gold, the jars I have doing the strange diamonds spit out thca powder the same way.

1 Like

Everything. Run after run

2 Likes

Every run

2 Likes

Have you guys skipped the regular growth sop and just gone with cold crash yet?

Benzene being a known carcinogen Makes this all very troubling

2 Likes

You can cold crash and then go to pentane. But it doesn’t all cold crash still holds on to like half the thca

1 Like

Yes cold crashing just crashes out thca into powder at the bottom of the jar and it never redisolves no matter how wet the pour was. The fact other labs are having the exact same isssue as me and these are people that have made diamonds for a long time like myself tells me it’s not a sop issue or even something in our process that changed. It’s some consumable. Butane or n2. I’m gonna be trying some runs with argon on our new machine and will report back.

5 Likes

The impurity has a unique property where it makes the THCa more difficult to redissolve in butane or pentane.

2 Likes

It appears you can make butane from benzene so wonder if you can make benzene from butane:

You can first convert benzene into phenol. Then react phenol with hydrogen to get cyclohexanol. The oxidation of cyclohexanol converts it into adipic acid. Finally, decarboxylation of adipic acid gives butane.

2 Likes

I was thinking the same. That or maybe it being made from some other completely untested for contaminant that combined with heat (collection) creates benzene. Interestingly enough for some reason my wedding cake tests the highest with benzene.

1 Like

Yes I think I read high limonene is higher in benzene. If not limonene it was def a similar terp. I have a feeling that Photon(not gonna tag him again) will be able to offer some help once he reads this thread.

1 Like

Myrcene degrades to benzene in the presence of heat and o2

3 Likes

It’s still crystals, they’re just vastly smaller crystals that now resemble powder.

4 Likes

Benzene cannot be synthesized from smaller hydrocarbons with our current conditions. Benzene also can’t degrade from larger terpene based compounds under our conditions. Maybe if we applied enough energy with something like combustion, but we avoid that at all cost lol.

3 Likes