Diamonds turning into chalk post separation

I always thought cold blooming diamonds was silly

Not likely lol.

I don’t think water would do this. Water likes to stick together whenever possible, it wouldn’t be easy to disperse it evenly throughout the lattice. It almost has to be another solvent with a higher boiling point.

Also, most people aren’t using water in their jackets so if a leak in the jacket was the case they would have bigger problems than chalky diamonds.

3 Likes

Disclaimer: I have not read all the replies.

In my opinion, this could be one of two things

1. When you isolate your diamonds, you are leaving a small amount of mother liquor on the outside of the facets. Over time, the THCA within the mother liquor precipitates, causing sugaring on the outside of the diamonds. Centrifuge them or wash with cold pentane and immediately dry them with filter papers to prevent this.
  2. This is only applicable if you are storing your diamonds in an area with solvent vapours in the air. The solvent vapours in the air dissolve the THCA on the outside surface of your diamonds and re-precipitates the THCA quickly as a sugar on the outside of the diamonds.

I do not think moisture would do this.

3 Likes

you should read the whole thread before you add your $0.02. It is throughout the whole structure not just an outside appearance. Please if your interested at all read all the comments. We have explained everything a few times now.

16 Likes

Hey all, though I don’t have much to add by way of an explanation for this issue, I did just want to chime in and add myself to the list of people affected by this to further build a case for location and timeline. I’ve been lurking here for a couple years but this is the first topic that really pushed me to make an account and comment because it’s obviously thrown my operation out of wack and I had not realized other people were encountering this issue as well.

Like others, our gas supplier sources their high purity hydrocarbons from Gas Innovations and we first encountered the chalk situation in May. Ever since, it has occurred in every batch except for one (most likely someone skipped FIFO and used previous gas around the time this issue started to surface). I’m in Humboldt. Everything described in the thread is the same on my end: Larger, faster forming crystals with rectangular shapes that have clarity until purging. We use a 70/30 B/P mix that we distill and blend every time. Here is a picture of a single growth from one jar. No other diamonds formed, this thing just grew solo. Looked pretty awesome…chalked out after separation.

Thanks everyone for helping get to the bottom of this.

22 Likes

I should add by the way, my experience is May-July, we’ve been shutdown for a bit recently prepping for harvest and all so I’m not sure if anything has worked itself out in our supply line. Gauging from this thread, it doesn’t seem like it. Just as the others have stated, none of our COAs have turned up anything odd or worthy of failing, I’m working on getting some COAs from our supplier. Cheers

3 Likes

Im thinking of hosting an event at my suite for mj biz con for everyone to come meet and discuss all the issues. Maybe with all of us together we can think of something. If there is interest ill host it, and bring a bunch of medusa stones as we call them.

19 Likes

I’d be down to join, I can conference in our chemist for input on the gas issues.

6 Likes

It would be even better if you did this in the glg suite…… I don’t know how the sponsor would feel as it’s a gas company but I think this would make a great podcast for @Sidco_Cat or @The_Modern_Extractor

I think this needs to be brought to light can’t imagine how much product some of you guys are gonna have to throw away as a result of this

13 Likes

My gas supplier is sending out emails to his spec gas division to see who they are sourcing gas from at the Tennessee mixing plant. Still blows my mind that gas can be blended in TN and shipped to Oklahoma cheaper than from Texas or Oklahoma where the gas is collected.

2 Likes

Interested to hear the response on this. Also, we ship to our OK locations pretty cheaply, not sure what TN>OK rates are but can’t imagine they’re lower than TX>OK.

1 Like

I’ve already chatted with @Sidco_Cat but happy to do it again in Vegas–it was a great time.

1 Like

@Dred_pirate did you notice a difference in dabbing the diamonds ? I am about to process my Fresh frozen was going to send it all to diamonds. After seeing this thread progress a while it makes me just want to process it all to sugar

1 Like

I’ll bring the lawyer

1 Like

I honestly didn’t notice anything different. I used already purged HT from a different run that was purged.

Could always turn the sugar back to diamonds after you feel like it’s been sufficiently purged.

1 Like

I’ve melted some down and reintroduced hte (same batch) for some R&D carts. Seemed fine for me.

1 Like

According to a call with recently departed GI exec this morning–Diversified sells to Gas Innovations and Gas Innovations sells to Kaplan. Who knows at this point, but they seem aware of the issues and ready to shift blame to their downstream distributors.

3 Likes

just got off phone with west air, they keep with the claim GI is clean and is where they source their butane. It would make more sense to me that GI sells to Kaplan. They are also sending me a bottle of 100% isobutane to see if it still has issues. The fact ive gotten 2 calls from gas execs today that all get gas from GI tells me they def know something is up and they are trying to asses damages before it gets back.

14 Likes

100%.

6 Likes