Dewaxing using activated charcoal and celite 545

Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to cannabis extraction and am looking for some advice whether or not this is a good idea.

I am trying to dewax my THCA using a method i haven’t really heard of…
This method involves making 2 or more combined layers of activated charcoal as well as celite 545.

The goal is to try remove as much impurities as possible… sorry if this idea isn’t new haven’t seen much papers on it.

3 Likes

Scrub it with carbon 3 different parts, 1 part powder 1 part fine grain 1 coarse with etho & let itnworl the magic, then filter through on a stage 2-3 filter paper & silica powder cake patty. Been able to pull some clean first pass.

1 Like

Pretty sure ac has a pretty strong affinity for thca

6 Likes

What’s your starting product & under what conditions was it extracted?

your right its recommended to decarb before Activated charcoal and celite filter cake

1 Like

trying to make htfse decarbing isn’t a option…

3 Likes

Dewaxing does not need charcoal. That is a different step.

5 Likes

@Apothecary36 is right
Dewaxing or winterizing (same thing )
Is done by dissolving your thca rich oil in a prefirably polar solvent or an alkane like butane or pentane
The. Freezing this mixture dependent on the temperature this is done the time frame
-18C 48 hours
-80C 2 hours
Once fats fall out of solution you filter keeping it all frozen and cold
Good luck :+1:

9 Likes

Know a good source I can read up on this more?

The search bar on this website.

4 Likes

Rudimentary Way How to Winterize BHO “Dewaxing” | Colorado Bud Blog

Lab/Better more Effective way.

-you can winterize any concentrate (preferably crudes) he just used a c02 extract.-

1 Like

Hi Tristan,
We have a good deal of experience in filtration now in this industry and hopefully can help. What size is your batch of product? There are a number of ways to do what your trying to achieve, but batch size is typically the driver for the type of filtration.
Thanks, Greg
Heyes Filters
310-212-7777

4 Likes
1 Like

how much methanol are you using for suspension of the crude ?
how much water do you add and what is your process for filtering over alumina?
….sounds groovy

1 Like