Dehydrators for gummies?

I’m trying to create a gummy production setup and really need to nail the consistency. I have read good things about dehydrators on here and wondering what people are currently using. I’ve read mixed things about fridge vs dehydration. I know they will have to go in the fridge at some point but being able to leave them in the dehydrator for most of that process would be ideal.

Also planning to use distillate. I already have the starting material and tools to work with it, so this plan only focuses on nailing the “gummy” aspect

I’ve read quite a bit about the various methods and combinations of citric acid, corn starch, malic acid, bakers sugar etc. I understand I will end up having to try a bunch of different combinations to get it to work.

Keep in mind I am looking to maximize production. The occasional bubble wont be a problem and I wont be using shaped molds either, just cubes to start.

Just looking to see what everyone is doing currently before going out and trying things that have already been tried and failed by others.

Any advice appreciated, I’m well versed at making carts if anyone is interested we could swap info.

Cheers!

1 Like

I personally don’t use any dehydrator, I leave mine out to air dry for 48 hours, or 24 extra hours depending. Usually 48hrs and I have the perfect consistency.

Depends on what kind of gummy you’re making though.

And your scale too.

2 Likes

Seconded. Leave em out on speed racks after demolding and sugaring (can be done after) for 24-48 hr. Dry days is 24, humid is 48.

I like to check the inside. Even if they have a hard texture on the outside, the inside may not be dry at all, once they sit in a sealed package all of the gummies equilibrate to the same consistency via osmosis. If you test the inside so you have a weighted average of moisture, which corresponds to texture.

5 Likes

repurpose a bakery proofing cabinet to speed the drying by boosting temp and airflow.

3 Likes