Degumming, is it necessary?

does anyone here actually know what you degum for ?

I can bang out a 25lb run in less than 3hrs with my sop.

You’re missing my point. You’re calling people out for lack of scientific validation, while saying things like “cold crash your wax” and “forget the ‘degumming’ nonsense”. Neither of those statements conveys any scientific validation.

If science left the building, it certainly didn’t show up when you arrived. Want scrutiny to your claim that degumming is nonsense? Here is some very basic, preliminary information from the American Oil Chemists’ Society, with references listed:
https://lipidlibrary.aocs.org/edible-oil-processing/chemical-degumming

Want some empirical data of my own? Visual observation counts, too. The following are two separate batches in bulk and in their 5mL containers, respectively. They were processed exactly the same except for the second sample was chemically degummed.

No chemical degumming:

Chemical degumming:

Improved clarity. Note how you cannot see the logo on the back of the jar for the sample that was not degummed. Notice how you can read the numbers on the back of the jar that was degummed.
Improved color and stability as well.

2 Likes

Now that’s some info, thanks! The pics are a good factor for me. I was right when letting them know I’m guessing. After decarb, degum using enzyme and water, and the rock out.

Crude processor was doing 30 minute room temperature denatured alcohol (probably 5% heptane) soaks with agitation

You made the claim you dont need to degum

Degumming is a super easy step you can add in before winterization to help with a number of things, if youd like to argue about this I’ll link you to the original post photon and future made on this subject and you can to argue with them :joy::joy::joy:

Still yet to see anything scientific out of you except to make scientific claims without backing it up

Was it where the silica should be? Silica gels as it adsorbs

1 Like

thanks for the link for info about degumming. i caught that in my google search as well. im already familiar with the basics anyway though so its not of particular use. and for the data you shared, thats some nice anecdotal data you’ve got there. unfortunately, neither of those oils are particularly clear (maybe a bad pic?) so im not really feelin it.

:clown_face::athletic_shoe:
And even I wear size 14

2 Likes

Best comment, hands down :facepunch::100:

1 more thing

Degumming is necessary for Pesticide Removal

The gum layer can carry different pesticides that wont be remediated unless you break the gums down and release the pesticides they hold.

Myclo has been proven to stick in the gum layer, theres others too I just dont know them off the top of my head

3 Likes

Anyone try the EDTA “Soft Degumming” seems like a very a more favorable method since all the ingredient necessary are easily available in food grade. It also seems alot faster than Citric Acid degumming. Just wondering out loud here

To be clear, degumming does not remove plant sugars, per se. Free sugars and other water solubles can be removed via heptane/saline washes. Degumming cleaves the hydrophilic phosphate-containing head groups off of phospholipids that are common in plant oil extracts. Due to their amphipathic nature, these phospholipids can be problematic in downstream processes such as color remediation and distillation.

4 Likes

EDTA is a very useful chelator, but if you are not careful it can drive your pH up above pH = 11.

Just got Summit Research EZ-Degum… IS it necesarry to degum before winterize or can you do it after? Not sure if anyone has tried this product.

Degumming before winterization is the way to go, when you Degum you create things that can be removed with winterization (you typically want to winterize the gums out after Degumming)

Can you elaborate on what this membrane is? I have not heard of this method before and am looking to learn more about it.

1 Like

I’m gonna start a fight, watch :rofl: :rofl:

@Kingofthekush420 @MagisterChemist @highestzen

1 Like

Whether or not your learn from their fight, read their posts. All three offer systems, and are wickedly intelligent folks. Like my fucking soft ass brain is in awe when these people post. They don’t like each other though. But you learn a lot when they argue.

Warm extraction? Possible with room temperature membrane dewaxing. You can reject color and fats, as well sugars to a lesser degree. I must assume gums are a part of the rejected constituents in this configuration.

Color improvement? Possible, and seems to come as part of the above package.

Desolvation? Fuck yeah, membranes use a fraction of the energy a falling film evaporator DEMANDS.

Keep in mind (to my ignorant mind), 1 and 2 are using membranes in a different way from 3. Membranes have the ability to seperate molecules by size, with a retentate stream of “rejected” product, and a permeate side that is allowed to run through.

Frankly, they’re fucking exciting. I’ve never been in the same room as one, but I implicitly think the best thing you could do is buy one, if you’re doing distillate on a large scale.

Interview episode with @MagisterChemist by @The_Modern_Extractor. Worth a listen.

6 Likes