Decarb theories, and questions

Aight, so I decarbed some BHO for personals, mixed w disty at 20-25% and it worked amazing; I didn’t fully decarb, definitely, and I put it on a hot plate. Hit just like a dab on the banger would hit, hard and euphoric. I had a full, successful finished decarb of much higher quality badder, but when I mixed in personal, they didn’t smell as much, and did not even get close to the effect I was given on a banger. I could have pulled them off wayyyy earlier when I couldn’t have fully seen through it but BARELY, like when I put it up to a light I could see the light through the other side, still would have looked about the same in the end, it actually became slightly more foggy than the original product.
I believe the way I stored it had an oxidation factor on the end result. I got carts that can wick and flow thicker THCa concentrates. Y’all think pulling the decarb earlier will give a harder hit? Also noticing I’m getting VERY tired off these much more so than the BHOs. I got another decarb pulled off halfway, that I actually tried in a banger and definitely liked, hit and smelled better than the original dab negl. Will see what it tastes like mixed. What do u guys think

1 Like

Need to try this.

Thought about it probably once when super high as it would easily bring out different effects and possibly more for medical use.

What were the effects like? Original terpene/strain profiles?

The original effects were on point, the cart was clear, uniform mix, only issue is it was so thick you had to wait to hit it, and it would stick to the walls of the cart for a long time, but I’m sure with a thinner concentrate that doesn’t feel hard at room temp, you’d be good. I actually switched carts to the top of the line quality, that was promised to be able to wick thicker THCa concentrates. It had no flavor issues whatsoever, but I did add botanicals, however I’m sure without them it would have tasted amazing cause the nose was A1, I shouldn’t have mixed. I’m gonna try it next time. I think the waterbath was a good idea, tryin that for a really long time might just solve my issues, and at that point you can really get an eye for when you want it exactly done. Both times the original flavor of wax was in the cart, so its not a “you can’t go wrong” issue, but both times there was obviously something much more potent than straight distillate in there.

I took jar A (origin product 14gs) and jar B (fully decarbed 14gs) and the decarb smelled less, still had all the flavor and smell of the normal product, but was lesser in filling the room with the aroma than the wax. I believe somewhere along the way I wound up degrading my product.

1 Like

I’m going to try this with heavy CBD and CBG concentrates. Maybe theres a way you can decarb it just enough to lower the THC and raise other cannabinoid contents without burning terpenes off as well.

This could be good for actual medical dabbing, also try hemp derived terpenes in replacement of the botanical and see if theres more of a difference

1 Like

Let me know how it goes! I think a little more of THCa’s presence might be important for the entourage and “peak” you get when you smoke flower and hit dabs, rather than the slump and edible-like hit of D9. obviously CBD and CBG are important to the spectrum, and as long as it makes a uniform mix that doesn’t have clumps, even if it’s slightly non-transparent, what can go wrong? If it moves and wicks it moves and wicks, and if the original consistency is thin anyways, it shouldn’t take too much to get it to thin enough to mix with distillate. I heard somebody on here did it, I think they could even tell the difference between the % of the decarb done, but it’s not why I did, I had a time limit and the dabs took too long to decarb so I rushed it, even hit it with a torch ngl, but immediately when it began to feel and move more saucy and liquidy, mixed it in. Maybe even waited too long tbh.

Makes me laugh thinking about how I half assed a BHO concentrate and waited patiently for a freeze-extract to decarb, and wound up getting better results off the one I genuinely said “fuck it” to while processing.

The ONLY thing I can think of is the THCa re-crystallizing, but if you get it done enough I think it’ll stay pretty much there. 60-75% clarity is probably what I’d shoot for if I did it again, and is what I’m going to do next time.

1 Like

The last few months I’ve been trying to dial in decarbing large batches of live resin for carts. I’ve noticed if the thca/thc ratio is off, agitating the oil made it cloudy or crash out. I’ve also noticed cloudiness in batches I know are decarbed enough, but I think that could be from the terps getting weird. The stuff I’ve witnessed supports your comment so far

1 Like

How well dewaxed/ cold is your bho ran? Clouds make me think of lipids/fats/waxes

4 Likes

Microbubbles scatter light and cause solutions to look cloudy. A way to determine if it’s microbubbles forming from slow and cool decarb would be to heat it and dislodge the bubbles. I’d say vac but youre going for terpene profile.

2 Likes

I’m going for terp and effect. Medicinal value is kinda my whole goal, honestly, but original flavor is important too, but I see it can’t get far off unless you REALLY fuck up bad

What does the term crash out mean? Like revert or separate completely? I just read an article on it.

When the oil splits into it’s 2 final parts…thca solid lower half ,terps and all the goodies liquid upper half

4 Likes

I literally no cap poured the shit that was at the top half in a separate jar. You’re telling me I accidentally copped the goodies??? Hm hm hm…

Extracting between at -65C, around a 50/50 solvent blend. No dewax and I see varying levels of fats in the oil depending on the strain. I pour directly into a heated miner so the fats usually disappear within a few minutes never to be seen again. I do have one batch oil of currently that has been heated at 60C under pressure for 10 days, the oil was clear under heat. Poured the oil into a pyrex, gave it a quick stir, and settled hazy. Even after slight heat from the hot plate its still hazy. I wasn’t sure if it was terps being too purged, thca concentration made it hazy, or if fats are visible this far into post processing

This^^

Decarbed some “live resin”, was whipped something doubtful it was live resin, and it got cloudy pretty quick. After the decarb no more was used. Full of lord knows what.

So far OP seems to be doing good with it. I need to try this minus the added disti.

Would just decarb a higher terpene extract like diamonds and sauce but remove the sauce, and readd it after partial decarb to see how effects differ. Would try to balance it out to more CBN than anything as I like CBN

1 Like

Crystalize/sugared up I believe. @StoneD feel free to correct me, I may just be thinking of the term crashed and not crashed out but I do believe its the same meaning

1 Like

I just saw he wanted to know what crashed means…crashed is when it’s seperated I thought

Also I just called terps goodies bc they are but so is thca

1 Like

Crashed out or crashed?

Was told crashed means its diamonds thats not fully crystallized so i.e. sugar wax.

Asked you hence why lol my bad for any confusion, trying to make sure I’m not mixing any terms up

I like that word more

Terp goodies

1 Like

Crashing out is a chemistry term for concentrated mixtures finding a nucleation spot and having the product crystal fall out of the liquid portion of the mixture.

9 Likes