Decanter centrifuge

This in my view is the best video on youtube of a decanter centrifuge (and i have seen them all :wink:

3 Likes

A few things to clear up on Decanter Centrifuges:

1. They are traditionally used for dewatering applications like separating shit from water
  2. Particulate is only in contact with the spinning outer bowel for one to three seconds
  3. You can still run them even if your slurry runs out or low
  4. One of two uses of a screw press is to remove water from cannabis. Supposedly you can remove 70%+ of the water and only 1-2% of the goodies. This speeds up drying time.
  5. It’s hard to wrap your head around but in traditional decanting you pull stuff off the top surface of a pond. A decanter centrifuge is doing the exact same thing but some mad man a hundred years ago saw that it was the same principle if you combined a screw and centrifuge
  6. It is not a replacement for a traditional cannabis bag centrifuge

That’s true of a lot of north american manufacturers as well. Ethics are not a country by country thing, you need to pick your partners carefully.

2 Likes

One hundred percent agreed! We’ve owned the facility for ten years, originally used it to manufacture brewery tanks and other industrial pressure vessels. Safest and best option is partner with as little people as possible or no one at all.

1 Like

Sorry coming off so hard just repeating the best I knew wrong day thank you for help clearing it

1 Like

Have you seen the new Canna Decanter?
Do you know what it can an can’t do?
I read on a forum called future,
that perhaps you’re a gonna need two.

If you’re in a hurry
you can feed it a slurry
but its still sopping wet when you’re through.

:upside_down_face:

11 Likes

almost a hiaku

If In a hurry
you can feed it a slurry
still wet, cider press.

7 Likes

How is this different than a screw press?

1 Like

It does not mechanicaly squeeze the trim like a screw press does. It uses centrifgal force instead. It’s like a bag centrifuge except no bag, it is continuous, but only gets 70%-80% of the liquid out because material is only in contact with the fuge for 1 to 3 seconds.

1 Like

Not quite. You can adjust the feed rate, conveyor rate, and gate height to change thruput and solvent separation efficiency. Like every other process its a balance of variables that determine performance.

4 Likes

Did you notice a guy in a kilt next to you when you started this conversation at MJBizcon?

Because I did overhear someone ask “is that a screw press?”…and “no, it’s more of a laid down centrifuge” seems eerily familiar…

I don’t think I stuck around for the rest.

1 Like

Thanks @MrRandy.
That makes way more sense!!

Edit: so a true canna-decanter might not leave so much solvent behind?

Or is there enough leeway in (some) fuges build for other industries to achieve 95% solvent removal?

Screw press gets much drier material on output

I’ve actually got a typical basket centrifuge at my facility and it fills too fast for our out put and at times gets off centered which sends it vibrating in some direction. We expected the quick filling of the bag, so we planned on a second basket centrifuge and a T and ball valve to switch the flow while the bag gets changed out for continuous flow.

I am now considering a decanter style centrifuge if I can find a good sized unit that is efficient. This thread is great and I’d love some real feedback from someone who has experience with a decanter centrifuge in the cannabis/hemp process.

Thanks for all the info everyone!

1 Like

You’re currently running a slurry into a basket?

Yeah, over feeding that setup can get you into trouble really fast, especially if you’ve got the speed turned up to 11 or 12 so you can feed it faster…

I would tend to move to a peeler next…

1 Like

You can achieve high solvent separation by slowing thruput and increasing residence time(conveyor speed) and surface area on the “beach”. Youll need to lower the gates to lower pool height.

A screw press will definitely give you more desirables back but also more undesirables. I consider solvent loss a good compromise. Everything is a give and take so id rather run more material at a lower efficiency than deal with more processing time for a marginal return. For me its dollars/time.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s why I am considering the decanter. I put together an interesting project to say the least, and it’s a custom built cryo system with a closed loop temp control all built inside a custom 18’ freezer.
I just finished the facility and we’re panning out some details. I have a custom built FFE as well and I am thinking about starting a thread just to put this system out here to get all levels of feed back and make it more of an open source project.

@cyclopath Yes I am pumping the slurry into the basket centrifuge with a 25 micron bag. We already went too fast with the centrifuge but we increased the drive speed for the pump pulling from the centrifuge and that leveled things out just fine for now… I will be needing a second centrifuge for now though until I have enough to go for a decanter.
What do you mean by a peeler?

Thanks guys

I find the peeler appealing
for the neat trick it can do
you feed the wee beast with a slurry
it’s empties itself when you’re through

Although I have a slightly different game in mind…

3 Likes

So a decanter centrifuge allows for continual throughout @Rowan.

Basically you do a 5000 pound cold ETOH biomass slurry, let that shit soak and agitate etc.

Then you begin feeding the solution through the decanter and as it goes through it separates all the fluid from the biomass while pushing the biomass through to a seperate collection area.

It’s going to be the future of high level extraction because basically you can pipe 5 huge slurry vats and just pump them through starting at 1 then 2 then tank 3 etc. by the time tank 1 is ready to pump through Again you’ve changed the slurry and let it soak and agitate.

It’s the way to do ethanol on a continual and never ending non batch based extraction.

You will probably need a screw press for the biomass that’s seperate from the slurry tho, I’m not sure what the efficiency is of actually drying the biomass as it goes through the decanter.

The guys at Kyte are pretty solid, idk about their decanters but their Hempfuges (just a centrifuge,) are price super super low compared to ace and delta etc for similar UL listing and sizes etc

4 Likes

Dewax !!!:ok_hand:

1 Like