Debate Thread: Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome; real, or a myth?

fuckin :kissing_smiling_eyes: :ok_hand: muah right there, thank you for posting and thank you Beaker

3 Likes

Also has anyone ever researched or thought about weakening of the esophageal muscles from the chronic coughing and burning?

1 Like

I’ve had very similar symptoms but hadn’t heard of chs until recently. I always thought it was pancreatitis or related as my father had pancreatitist and had his gallbladder removed. Incidentally, even though I wasn’t a heavy drinker and only drank sporadically, I quit about a year and a half ago and haven’t been sick since.

5 Likes

I used to experience this with flower and bong rips and bad sourcing. I stick to dabs now and haven’t had this issue.

2 Likes

I think it’s pesticides like Neem Oil, and pesticides in general and what beaker said too. Number of reasons and causes but nothing definitive. For all we know, it could be something else entirely not related to cannabis use or if it is, its something like a pesticide or high amounts of terpenes and high intakes of THC in high doses or all 3. Like what beaker mentioned about the high concentration of terpenes and potency in general. I personally think its a mix of placebo and issues caused by the product and person too.

This is something that will need a lot of research put into it. Sadly don’t see much about it. Would love to see papers or studies done in depth on this.

2 Likes

…and a link to the rest of that thread

Possible serious health problems with pot use

…because that was my buddy, and quitting pot solved the problem.

A couple or three times before he really took it to heart.

And I’ve got an 19yr old with the same diagnosis who doesn’t buy it, and hasn’t quit…

5 Likes

My colleague has CHS… Smoked 5-10g, after 10 years of excesive use he couldnt smoke a joint without starting to throw up and getting laied out for that particular day… .

When he stopped and then started to smoke 10% of his r3gular daily dose per day, never stopped.

Diagnoses, doctors could help for the love of God.

Then he came up with the forkkoksa CHS theory… Stopped for a year and now he can enjoy his cannabis again with no syndrom…

We still aint sure of it, but it seems that chs os real🙃

RIP Redturtle.

2 Likes

My best friend suffers from this “syndrome”. He literally can only smoke flower. Never had the chance to interact with beaker but what he says makes alot of sense.

My homeboy has anxiety, and other mental health conditions(don’t we all) and was taking large dabs every 35 - 60min.

He lost a ton of weight too. Like literally melted. I’ve always kinda wondered if we reach a fat saturation/ chemical imbalance point where our bodies decide burning the fats off will fix it.

2 Likes

I wonder if any of these people smoke cigarettes as well as weed whom are affected by chs…

2 Likes

Lots of my friends who experienced CHS had one thing in common poor diet . They would wake up smoke cannabis not eat anything for 3-4 hours then eat shitty greasy food like fast food . It is almost like a ulcer caused from cannabis that is exasperated from smoking. I have had friends keep consuming and power through others quit entirely and never looked back both are “cured” . It really seems like a cannabis ulcer . Also the endocannabinoid controls many things such as pain, memory, mood, immunity, and stress. Throwing it way out of balance is sure to have some consequences which we may not fully understand yet

7 Likes

I have back problems(dry and deteriorating discs)(etc) and weed/dabs help the pain, but coughing makes it hella worse

2 Likes

I can imagine. I’ve never had back problems but lately the coughing is coughing a massive ache at the base of my skull, usually triggered when coughing.

1 Like

CHS is very real. I’ve smoked from 9-22 years old. I recently have smoked some conversion oil and high pgr buds in LA (not sure what caused it). And I puked blood for 6 days and went to 2 different LA hospitals. Very upsetting considering my whole passion and business revolves around cannabis. Afraid I can’t smoke again…. Any advice would be appreciated.

Take a break to break the cyclical symptoms, and when you come back, ease into it slowly and stop at a low dose. Every case I’ve heard of involves relatively heavy users (several grams of bud, or equivalent of oil). I’ve never heard of someone who uses < 1 grams a day suffer from CHS.

The only common denominator I’ve seen is “heavy use” (put in quotes because what stoners see as regular is often heavy by common standards).

2 Likes

How many people with CHS are just dope sick fiends? I am skeptical

You seriously think dopesick junkies would be forming online communities and whatnot trying to learn more about their mystery condition? All the junkies I know are fully aware of what being dope sick is.

1 Like

Opiate addicts will learn how to break time release gel matrixes with a microwave just to get a oxy80 to slap.

Committee11-5-17-2012 (1).pdf (126.6 KB)

If they’re smart enough to get high. They’re smart enough to prolong being high and mitigate/endure negative effects

I’m skeptical is all I’m gonna say.

1 Like

Only time weed has ever repeatedly given me a stomach ache, we got some cbd isolate, after testing found out it had over 1000ppm of pentane, if I ate it without a full belly, terrible excruciating stomach aches, didn’t get to try hot shower.

1 Like