DEA issued an interim final rule stating synthetically derived d8 remains schedule 1

Am I reading this correct?

Hemp must come from the plant
Tetrahydrocannabinol’s are Schedule 1, unless they fall within the definition of hemp
Hemp may contain only d9-THC <.3% to qualify as non-schedule 1
No other THC can be contained in hemp

2 Likes

Well that was even faster than the whole spice thing.

5 Likes

I don’t know how many times i predicted this on the forum. If it wasn’t illegal they would make it illegal. I don’t know why anyone would have expected congress to be like “d9 bad, d8 good”.

14 Likes

D10 is all good though :wink:

5 Likes

do you really think individual states are going to target D8? I see it as way to quicker legalization and a potential headache to try to enforce

2 Likes

By the standards listed in their notice I feel like decarboxylation of cannabinoids counts as synthesis. I can’t imagine that’s what they had in mind but it seems to me that the plant doesn’t actually produce CBD or THC. The conversion to those non-acidified cannabinoids is heat and time mediated, so that makes them synthetic right?

8 Likes

I don’t see it. How is d10 different than d8 in this situation?

2 Likes

@Alexsiegel94 He was joking I think.

3 Likes

Is anyone really surprised?

On one hand I sort of respect the Delta 8 slangers who knew the risk and put their neck out. But they pushed it so brazenly what did they think would happen? FFS there are public companies they convinced to get involved. It’s not like the DEA was going to specifically outlaw cannabinoids one by one. They wanted to send a message to everyone, whether they’re in D8 or not.

6 Likes

@Ennui is correct, I was being a smart ass!

2 Likes

It definitely reads like they were writing regulation for fully synthetic THC’s in order to exclude them from hemp. Then they found out halfway through that CBD to THC synthesis is real and they patched it with a quick solution.

5 Likes

Is @Kingofthekush420 out of detention yet?

I wanna hear his take on this haha

I remember his “realization story” about “d8 being legal and his calling because of all the people it could help” (may not be exact words)

10 Likes

The rule doesn’t mention D8.
D8 derived from CBD derived from compliant hemp appears unaffected.

Honestly I’d be more worried about CBN which is derived from THC.

I expect we’ll see all hemp processors will need to be registered with the DEA. This makes sense, they are holding high THC material. But controlled doesn’t mean banned - it means controlled.

This has already started in the testing labs.

1 Like

This is the paragraph that speaks to D8, and seems to be saying both its cool because its from hemp, as well as that it’s not cool because all THC is THC

7 Likes

The question is what counts as synthesis. D8 produced from CBD is, in fact, synthetic. You added a chemical and created a new compound. That is chemical synthesis. So i would say based on that argument, whether the CBD was hemp derived or not doesn’t matter. If it was d8 that occured naturally in the plant, that would be different. But it isn’t.

9 Likes

Then is CBD itself synthetically derived from CBDa?

6 Likes

I was wondering that myself. Aren’t the decarboxylated cannabinoids synthetic based on the proposed definition of synthesis?

1 Like

Nevermind, it specifically says synthetically derived tetrahydrocannabinols

5 Likes

All of this is relating to THC’s specifically from what I can see. There may have been reference to synthetic cannabinoids at some points but I think they’re pretty consistent that they have a problem with THC and only THC isomers. I don’t know if they define isomer in the document

That seems correct. Despite that though I would argue that their narrow definition of synthetic inadvertently applies to THC produced from decarboxylating THCa.

1 Like