DEA Affirmatively States that THCO is a Schedule 1 Controlled Substance

https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlehtml/2016/np/c6np00074f#sect602

This one does and even shows how its made

Im sorry but d8 isnt made through a enzymatic pathway both papers say it is made through oxidation

And i quote

" Compounds of this class might be isolation artifacts resulting from Δ9-THC by acid- or oxidatively promoted shift of the endocyclic double bond, or from CBD by electrophilic cyclization. The Δ8 location is thermodynamically more stable than the Δ9 location, and this drives the isomerization."

CBDA-synthase and THCA-synthase have been cloned from the storage cavity of the glandular trichomes of cannabis,20,21 and they exclusively produced their corresponding phytocannabinoids

Which is wrong. Both make both. At least when tested in vitro.

Proposing that ALL D8 produced in planta is produced via UV based degradation doesn’t fit the data.

At least not without proposing some other difference (intra cellular pH).

If it doesn’t fit the data, the hypothesis is wrong….

1 Like

If this were true youd always have cbd in d9 disty which isnt true

THCA synthase has also been crystallized, and the FAD and substrate-binding sites identified.22 Apparently, the enzyme selectively produce one of the two isomeric THC acids present in nature, THCA-A.22 THCA-

Either way d8 isnt produced by the plant its a result of environmental factors whether its from a hydride shift or oxidation

This proves nothing and can be contradicted by the fact that analyzing d9 strains the same way results in no d8. Plus the fact that extracting samples for extended times, or using some heat, does not results in more d8 (and less d9, or more d8+d9 and less cbd…) :man_shrugging:

1 Like

And saying youve tested hundreds of samples and that because of that theres more d8 in hemp then in d9 strains doesnt mean anything either especially when d8 is made from d9 in ALL cannabis strains :rofl:

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/can.2022.0235

Btw heres a paper where they made d9 from cbd with just heat, unfortunately scihub doesnt have the full version

I wonder if your testing method could be converting d8 from d9 if heat can turn cbd into d9

Why would “thca synthase has been shown to make CBDA in vitro" mean “there MUST be CBD in all THC distillate”?!?

Scihub sys it doesn’t have the paper I’m refereing to, but @seth posted a pre-print for us.

I have no idea if any of their “unknowns” are D8, but I personally wouldn’t rule it out simply because you don’t think it’s a possibility…

would it not then create a similar ratio of D8 in his high D9 samples?

a BETTER fit to the data would be the proposal that @Dr_Jebril’s method turns some of his CBD to D8

that accounts for ratio with D9 not being the same…which your hypothesis does not.

IMO that doesn’t fit all the data…

we actually have the molecular modelling software and appropriate structures required to look at the problem…it should be relatively easy to show I’m wrong computationally.

1 Like

You need to turn cbd into d9 first though you cant go straight from cbd to d8 everyone knows this

Which is why if you have a high d9 cultivar it is more likely to have higher d8 concentration then a cbd cultivar because its double the work to make cbd into d8

So youre basically saying every paper thats ever been written on the subject of this is wrong?

Im sorry what you’re saying doesnt fit at all especially when you look at the ring structure and where the double bond lies

Theres literally a bunch of papers on this yet you refute them by saying theyre all wrong

In my HPLC experience from 2 facilities, one marijuana and one hemp, there is a greater likelihood of having D8 in hemp varieties. I can’t say why, but the samples I’ve tested and seen tested have shown this correlation, and I can say I also agree with @Dr_Jebril’s statement:

I’m not in D8 so I don’t have a pony in this race, just wanted to comment on a trend I’ve also noticed.

3 Likes

This is the opposite we have found with our in house testing along with 3rd party testing. We have found thc biomass to have more d8 than our cbd biomass that we extract at our facility. I feel like storage conditions could have something to do with this.

2 Likes

show me a single paper where folks have specifically asked if CBDA systhase is making D8…

@seth gave us one where they are looking at what the enzymes make, and one might assume the authors could tell D8 from D9…but we have plenty of precedent for folks unable to make that distinction, and the authors do not identify all the products of their reaction.

no, the plant doesn’t have an enzyme whos job is to make D8, but both “hemp” and “marijuana” have enzymes that are making off target cannabinoids. THCAS can “accidentally” making CBD. CBDAS can “accidentally” make D9.

You’re stating that you’re CERTAIN CBDAS isn’t responsible for making D8.

so why is the D8/D9 ratio higher in a CBDAS plant than a THCAS plant? were it environmental, those ratios would be the same.

we decided the world was a sphere because the data simply didn’t work with “flat”. sure looks flat. but it’s not. the hypothesis needs to fit the data. if it doesn’t you need to re-evaluate.

1 Like

Could be. The hemp I’ve tested is from many places all over the country. The marijuana was all grown at the same facility it was tested at. I can’t say how the hemp was treated but the marijuana was relatively fresh (<6 mos from harvest usually).

3 Likes

Do you have any proof of what youre saying because other people have found the opposite of what youre saying (post above)

The levels wont be the same when theres different levels of d9 content in both cultivars

This is something i also believe to be true

MJ (especially when in metrc) gets treated alot better when it comes to storage conditions. Also hemp is more likely to go full term which would definitely contribute to enviromental factors and conversion

@seth can you chime in here on if you guys tried to test the cbd or thc enzyme pathways for d8? D8 is pretty common to test for now adays so I’d be surprised if you didnt

RATIOS. not levels.

I don’t disagree that treating your high D9 poorly will likely make D8 from D9, at a level dependent on D9 level and level of abuse.

However, @Dr_Jebril’s data suggest; treat your CBDAS only plant any old way, you get fairly tight D8/D9 ratio. suggesting a different mechanism might be in play.

how does “UV induced hydride shift” explain that disconnect? ratio should be constant across all cultivars if it’s not genetically encoded.

I have no attachment to my hypothesis other than it fits the data better than yours. show me where mine doesn’t, and explain how yours fits better

@Gail is reporting absolute D8 level. @Dr_Jebril is reporting d8/d9 ratio.

1 Like

Because the enviroment isnt the same all around the world. Not every region gets the same amount of UV or oxygen levels

Hell even the weather effect uv levels

440px-GOME.uviecclimyear_lr

so @Dr_Jebril’s Swiss grown hemp is getting higher UV?

Not what that map shows…

1 Like

Never said it was. I also said

Also

I dont see d8 being made by the enzyme. Its not going to shift the double bond on cbg like that and youre not going to synthesize cbg with the double bond in the wrong place so it makes d8 instead of d9

it’s goal wasn’t to close the ring. that is an off target reaction. having the bond in the D8 position is energetically favorable and easily achievable with an acid catalyst. Are you certain there isn’t anything in/near the active site of CBDAS that could act in the same manner?

oh wait, there HAS to be…because it’s accidentally making D9…and D8 is “easier”

certainly not an enzyme that does it as it’s primary reaction.

given that one can shift the bond without need of an enzyme, the contention that the same could not be achieved by an enzyme is pretty hard to support.

1 Like

Quote from one of the papers above

" The electrophilic cyclization step is highly specific in terms of termination. In one version of the process, the C-8 cation (menthane numbering) behaves as a Broensted acid, and is quenched by loss of a proton from C-9 to generate the exocyclic double bond of CBDA (Scheme 2). In the alternative version of the termination, the C-8 menthyl cation behaves as an electrophilic sink for one of the two ortho-hydroxyls, generating Δ9-THCA-A from the hydroxyl para- to the carboxylate, and Δ9-THCA-B from the other phenolic hydroxyl."

You do realize to do what youre talking about youd need to make d9 first… and also the same paper i just quoted says that the plant doesnt have a way to turn cbd into thc

" In the alternative version of the termination, the C-8 menthyl cation behaves as an electrophilic sink for one of the two ortho-hydroxyls, generating Δ9-THCA-A from the hydroxyl para- to the carboxylate, and Δ9-THCA-B from the other phenolic hydroxyl. The oxidative- and the electrophilic cyclase activities are closely associated, and the menthyl cation is not released or leaking from the enzymatic cleft where it is generated, making the two termination process biogenetically orthogonal. This is consistent with the paradoxical observation that, while CBD is easily converted into Δ8- and Δ9-THC by acidic treatment under laboratory conditions, CBDA is not converted into THCA in cannabis tissues"

no, but it has an enzyme that is supposed to be making CBD that has been shown in vitro to also make D9.

which the authors of the paper you are citing do not acknowledge.

1 Like

CBD plants do produce d9-THCA, likely from CBGA. What would preclude them to further convert part of this d9 to d8 (as it does for CBNA or HHCA, and as any guy with some acid can do in his garage, as many lurkers here…) ? :thinking:

@EHO_AZ @Gail, the hemp samples Im dealing with are of any sort (flowers, extract, indoor/outdoor/greenhouse, aged, fresh, even right freeze dried from the field…). And there is a systematic. The THC samples are generally indoor, also fresh and treated with care, showing no d8. Low quality flowers will show some, but still lower than in CBD strains. Moroccan hashs, which are have been through rougher conditions (heat, travel, time etc…) shows a little more, but still much lower than the 1-2% CBN (and the ysual 1-4% CBD).

1 Like