Dark jars

Hi I’ve been running into an issue running product my original runs were turning out clear and bright over the course of runs my runs have turned dark I’m not sure what the issue is I’ve tried a few different things like

cleaning the system
Using new tanks
Creating a new gas mix
Doing cold run
Grinding fresh material

I just can’t to seem to find the problem just wondering if someone has encountered this problem and if so how did you fix it my runs look great initially but as they sit in the miner they turn dark

1 Like

Let’s not grind any material for bho to start. Sounds like you need a layer of silica and an understanding for how to run a crc column without letting the pigments elute

6 Likes

I’m currently running crc

more info is needed to fairly pinpoint an issue.

Do you mean the first run is light but the subsequent runs get darker?
Or, Are you noticing slight colour change as the solvent evaps?

Have you maintained batch parameters run to run?
What did you do differently between runs 1,2,3 etc?
Does your plan match your batch size?
What material are you running?
What solvent are you using?
What solvent:biomass ratio
What media are you using?
Are you using the correct amount?
What are you doing to ensure the batch parameters remain cosistent throughout the lot?

1 Like

Have you changed out your powders? I saw everything but that listed. Seems obvious but figured I’d ask.

1 Like

Yes they have been done with minimal difference between runs to try and solve the problem about 30-40 run of which the first 24 turned out a nice bright color I’ve been running a btu and pro mix (70 30), while changing and cleaning my crc collum every run as well as doing a clean on the rest of the system it’s about 4x gas to pounds of material used I’m currently running some slurty that is fresh and is a top tier product in my opinion I’ve been mixing new tanks and trying to see what variables I have offset since starting but I just can’t see what the issue is.

How many lbs of biomass per crc column?

What powders are you using?

What is the process flow like?

Example)

solvent tank (temp/ pressure)

Material column (temp/pressure)

Dewax column (temp/ pressure)

Pass through column / pre crc column (temp/pressure)

Crc column (volume of powders/temp/pressure)

Evaporation tank (temp/pressure)

Solvent tank (temp/pressure)

1 Like

About 8lbs of bho to 2.2 lbs of material with 400g of b80 temp is around 40-50⁰f it flows well theres no blockage going on it’s pressure across the board runs between 25-50 hg my collection collum get around 80-99⁰f with the water heater attached

Try a small layer of silica on top of the b80. The silica will hold back pigments until it doesn’t… so you will need to fine tune the amount of solution you can push through based on that batch of material

2 Likes

My only concern with the silica that it will strip the terpines from the final product I used it previously and that was the issue I had with it will a small amount effect that?

It’s been a few years since I ran BHO but when I ran into the problem you are describing it was because of moisture in the gas. Are you sure everything is okay with your molecular sieve?

5 Likes

As far as I know yes what are some ways I can test this?

That what I was thinking as well, sounds like a bad gasket or fitting some where , I wonder what type of system OP running

Yes.

They get hot when they absorb water.

Read of: Molecular sieve beads

While we’re at it, “dark jars” is a lousy description of what you got going on…if you use search queries of similar quality you’ll not find this place very useful.

1 Like

Check the bottom of ur solvent tank , do you have any debree ice build up or anything in there

2 Likes

If you use silica on top of b80 your concentrates should look and smell fire. Just use a ratio from raw material to silica/b80 use.

Nope.

Your gauge may have in.Hg below zero, but above zero is in almost certainly in psi. As one cannot achieve 50in.Hg vacuum, those are positive pressures and are in psi.

Nor are you running “BHO” over your biomass.

When you cleaned the system, did that include your solvent tank? Did you find water in there?

When you used “new tanks” was ALL the solvent “new” or did you just ADD new solvent to the system?

When you created a “new gas mix”, how did you determine the ratio? Was this new blend the ONLY solvent in the system?

Define “cold”. Ambient is 59F and it feels cold to me atm. Certainly would not qualify as “cold” for the purposes of light hydrocarbon solvent extraction of cannabis.

…and you haven’t regenerated or replaced your molsieve over the course of these 30-40 runs?!?

Sounds like you need to play hot potato…

See: Live extract comes out green sometimes

3 Likes

I was gonna tag you but I knew you would be here soon enough lol

2 Likes

There’s still a lot I’ve got to learn psi is what I meant sorry I was tired last night I’ll check the tanks at some point today I really appreciate the help excuse me for my lack of knowledge this is something I’m still learning and it sounds like I’m slacking heavily currently

You’re in the right place

5 Likes