Danger of Terpenes?

An interesting thing I’ve noticed is that at one of the facilities I work in several folks have asthma symptoms when trimming machines are being steam cleaned. There’s several allergens in cannabis, such as the proteins that cause hash rash, but this seemed to me like the steam picking up terpenes and carrying them into the air

4 Likes

I believe the pinene isomers are bronchodialators as well. Though it would be ironic if some terpenes have you asthma and some stopped it.

5 Likes

I have smoked pure 100% cannabis derived terpenes aka " cdt " and i didnt cough at all…certain chemovars definitely give that chest bite feels like the lungs are closing small. But the coughing is short and not harsh…Smoked 90% range clear w/ 100 cdt and the coughing is nothing compared to other extracts…such as sauce, shatter, especially if someone calls it “wax”…smh…w/e extract that uses a solvent to separate, even testing w/ lower than 500 ppm has you coughing harder and for longer v.s. a 0ppm disty w/ real 100% cdt or a solventless like S.H.O. Who agrees w/ me here? …solventless and distillate makes me cough either not at all or very little and not a “hard” coughing v.s. any other extract that uses solvent. **im fully aware cdt are a solvent itself.

ALSO: Ive noticed that the actually battery plays a part in regards to taste*carts…yes low temp…but even low temp ones can make your cart taste bad… Ive dabbed same exact oil out of a cart that tasted like trash in the cart but so good off the nail…course intake hole plays a big role…

To those that say “carts make me cough really hard”
Take into consideration what type of cart your vaping, there are a crazy amount of counterfits out there and many are cut w/ pg vg mtc honey cut etc…as well as NOT 100% cdt…as in b.s. terpenes. All this is an issue w/ ignorance and profit chasing

I think FAKE terps…as in NOT 100% cannabis derived…other “all natural” or “strain specific” is what causes lots of health issues. Even if they are not “fake” they are taken from many different sources, fruits, flowers, w/e NOT a SINGLE source and who knows where they all came from that linalool oil may have come from India and that lemonine may have come from asia etc etc and then they mix it all up…and tell us “strain specific” the terms these companies use are so misleading…the reason there is any confusion on this is because of GREEEEEED. The love of money. Ppl selling these bogus terps dont even understand cdt and how they react far as entourage affect…and Terps make the other cannabanoids “more” bioavailable…its more to it than that…but i highly doubt ppl still reading this far.

I know this is a long reply. Like to get talking more about real 100 cdt RANT OVER

I really like this place. All you good ppl sharing info…im grateful. THANKS TO EVERYONE

4 Likes

This has been out for a while, and I think is worth knowing about.

“The 6 flavoring substances include synthetically-derived benzophenone, ethyl acrylate, eugenyl methyl ether (methyl eugenol), myrcene, pulegone, and pyridine. These substances are being removed from the food additive regulations under the Delaney Clause of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act) (section 409(c)(3) of the FD&C Act). This clause, enacted in 1958, requires that the FDA cannot find as safe; i.e., cannot approve, the use of any food additive that has been found to induce cancer in humans or animals at any dose”

3 Likes

Is cannabis derived myrcene equal in toxicity to synthetically derived myrcene?

3 Likes

If they’re both 99%+ pure what’s the difference?

Genuinely curious as I have seen a lot of discussion about non-cannabis derived terpenes being more harmful?

What’s to stop one from purchasing reagent grade terps from sigma-Aldrich and making their own blends?

6 Likes

Also, how does myrcene isolated from other natural sources test out?

Turns out one way to synthesize beta-myrcene is to pyrolyze b-pinene. Interestingly, myrcene is the starting point for the synthesis for many other terpenes and vitamin A and E.

Anyone have access?

https://www.deepdyve.com/lp/elsevier/synthesis-of-myrcene-by-pyrolysis-of-pinene-analysis-of-decomposition-gO0NNdH2Hv

4 Likes

The FDA did that to myrcene, even though they admit that have no evidence to do so. They still consider it safe, but threw it on that list for who knows why. I’m betting it was specifically to slow down the cannabis industry as myrcene is known to to the most prevalent terpenes in cannabis.

3 Likes

I’ve been under the impression that if the terpenes are truly isolated then there should be no way to tell the difference between cannabis and non-cannabis derived terpenes, even through extensive testing. Is this not the case?

4 Likes

The issue may lie with regualatory compounds. There’s a good chance that cannabis/hemp contains molecules that regulate the absorption and effects of terpenes, which would vastly alter their safety profile.

1 Like

an old boss I had was the same way, couldn’t go anywhere without his inhaler until he started smoking cannabis daily. He was able to stop using his medication entirely while using cannabis. He took some time off and after about 3 days of no cannabis, the asthma returned and he needed his medication again.

3 Likes

I received this email from the author of the paper today:

6 Likes

Just bought a quartz banger.
Things are super cheap. 8.00

Just heat up with torch like my ti ones?

1 Like

Yes or you could try cold start. You’re gonna want some q tips to clean off the residuals of your dab as opposed to torching them off which then creates a flaming smoking cloud of benzene

3 Likes

Even 91% uncut disty will leave residue? On my ti nail, zero residue

1 Like

Yes it’s reclaim or leftover distillate whatever you wanna call it don’t try to burn that puddle off

2 Likes

Leftover disty can be cold started back to safe consumption temps, no?

1 Like

Yes if there is Disty reclaim it probably never got too hot. I guess I’m referring to when people torch away the reclaim to clean the nail off

1 Like

Like if they put too much disty on their nail and didn’t dab all of it?

1 Like

Who’s got COA’s on reclaim from ∆9-THC dabs? I remember @theclearscientist saying he was surprised at the lack of CBN in his (this was 2-3 years ago)

1 Like