Danger of Terpenes?

Thc boiling point is 160-180c

How do I know? I dab every day and I’ve ran both a wiped film and a short path evaporator.

2 Likes

Yeah, definitely don’t dab that hot. The inserts are ideal in my opinion, it brings the dab up to temp slower, so you can just set the cap on and watch for it to boil, then huff away. This is why having a nice quartz piece and a timer is great…

1 Like

The only way to do this is to not consume cannabis.

You think thc wont degrade into benzene at high enough temps?

Me and a few others think this might be one thing happening in some of the BM carts making ppl sick.

Why cant you degrade thc till its poisonous if it has a benzene ring?

With enough heat itll break down eventually

3 Likes

Taking a dab requires a little bit of technique. Enails are cool but I stick to a torch and quartz nail.

Cold start- put your dab in the nail. torch until oil barely reaches a boil (terpenes will boil first) then put carb cap on and begin to inhale. Torch again and repeat to vaporize your thc fraction

Traditional dab- torch until red hot to clean your nail. Wait 1 minute to 1.15 and then place oil in nail while simultaneously inhaling. Carb cap will vaporize the residuals.

The “I’m a tweaker” dab- torch red hot, dab.

The only time you get that putrid benzene/ who knows what else taste is on a red hot dab

7 Likes

Hey GratefulPhil. could you should me an email at ncfrohlich12@gmail.com

Id love to pick your brain and hire you for some consulting work if possible. Nothing extreme. I cant figure out how to send direct messages. Thanks!

2 Likes

You’re not wrong–you’re still inhaling benzene when pyrolysis occurs at high temperatures, both as a result of degrading terpenes and cannabinoids–I think what’s more interested is how HIGH the benzene concentration is relative to baseline levels.

100,000x is too much for me to just dust off with a “whatever”.

As for the temps, I think the general consensus is to lower the heat–but its not gonna eliminate the risk altogether.

4 Likes

I’m gonna have to reinvent my dab tek.

I just heat up my ti nail w/a torch red hot. Wait 30 seconds, dab, cap, dab, go back to my regular scheduled program.

2 Likes

Oh man I started dabbing on titanium nails.
Get a quartz banger. Ti is so 2012😂. Ti dabs are a shortcut to benzene dabs if you ask me. But I have no lab tests just a very refined pallette

I’d go to the smoke shop now if I were you, should only be $15! Lol

5 Likes

Probably closed today.

I only dab my distillate

No terps

4 Likes

I think the benzene comes from the thc as well unfortunately.

2 Likes

Sometimes when I don’t want to wait for the nail to cool down I just make my dab ridiculously big. This is some cool science for all you thermodymagicians. The amount of heat needed to bring my dab to an unsafe temperature increases as the size of my dab increases. Another reason enails are not good is they provide a constant heat and can encourage overheating. But at the same time they can be set to a safe level so whatever lol

4 Likes

Good to know

My dabs are on the heavier side vs most. I dab 2-3 grams a week by my self. I only dab at night, not all day.

2 Likes

Just find a simulation of blackbody radiation. You can easily see that bright red is getting close to 1000c while barely visible red is around 600-700c. If you are using titanium, just let the red fade and then you are right in the sweet spot. And exactly as stated above, if you are worried use an oversized dab. I may be circa 2012, but I still prefer real Ti nails. As long as you let the red disappear, you will be low enough that fats and waxes just turn black. I know temperature is the most important parameter, but I still prefer titanium.

3 Likes

Nothing like a good ol hot dab. “hot and hurty” as that one guy says lol what’s his name

1 Like

Pretty sure Raoult’s law also comes into play as well, the higher the % of terpenes in the mixture the lower the boiling point.

fwiw, as someone with asthma Ive found pure thca to cause more distress than high terp sauces, also pure canna derived terps I can vape with little to zero distress.

5 Likes

Really? I find that very interesting. Are the THCA products you’re smoking lab tested against residual solvents? I’ve seen THCA give a bad reaction for asthma and when the sample was tested after for residuals it popped over 2500ppm butane. Not trying to say correlation is causation, but it seems plausible that smoking failed material may cause an asthma attack.

Several asthmatics I work with, including myself, have had pure cannabis terps in sauce form trigger asthma symptoms, but it also depends on concentration.

Cartridges with canna tarps = no reaction
Sauces with very high concentrations = reaction

These are all observations with full spec canna terps.

Everyone’s asthma is different though, and I can totally believe that some folks react differently.

1 Like

I was born with debilitating asthma, my senior year of high school I had my last asthma attack a week before I started smoking cannabis. Hard to say if I spontaneously grew out of it or the cannabis cured me. I’ve never stopped smoking long enough to tell if the attacks would come back if I did stop

9 Likes

I definitely never had asthma issues once I started smoking. Again, I can’t say I didn’t grow out of it because I never quit for long enough…

1 Like

Dabbing cbd is literally an expectorant like albuterol

5 Likes

I would have to agree with that. For sure.