D8 red

So room temp reaction rather than refluxing at higher temp

2 Likes

@Montroller You say that you let it reflux in the head for an hour and then run through the wiper. I havenā€™t been able to get the red out at all through my RFD rolled film machine, so I have resorted to tossing the oil into my SPDā€™s after conversion and LLEā€™s and pulling the red fraction out and then stop the SPD and run the remaining oil through the roller. Does running in a reflux work so that you arenā€™t left with a red fraction?

What are the rest of you doing to get rid of the red through a wiper / roller?

This is what I get just through the rollerā€¦

This is what I get out of the roller after I toss it in the SPD and pull out the red fractionā€¦

I been playing with parameters and cant seem to get the red to just pull to the discharge area. Any advice would be great, thx guys

2 Likes

You are experiencing the same exact problems as me. I was using a shitty chinese wiped film and couldnā€™t get my vac tight enough to pull the heads but we just upgraded to a delta RFD and Iā€™m gunna try to separate a bunch of heads next week. I am probably going to run it at 155c jacket and 145c inner condenser then slowly ramp up both until it starts distilling cannabinoids then drop down a degree or 2 and see if that works.

That last pic is beautiful btw

@BrownGuy420 what solvent are you using? Certain hydros wonā€™t hold onto the reds through certain bentos. Might be worth a pass before and/or after LLE

1 Like

Iā€™m using heptane, so what you are saying is that possibly my solvent is holding on to the red pigment more? I ran through Bentonite but it seemed like the Red stayed in the oil.

2 Likes

Let me know how it goes through the RFD. I have the same machine and trying to dial in the parameters, maybe we can help one another.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s no way youā€™re neutralizing all the acid if youā€™re getting that color off of isolate

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure itā€™s holding onto the red ā€œmoreā€ as I donā€™t know what would be less??

Each solvent is unique in what they like to take to the party and how much they can take to the party. Heptane is a personal favorite of mine for only allowing a pretty solid VIP through.

That being said, one of your solvents is letting everyone in. HINT HINT

2 Likes

I use heptane and youā€™ve seen the color I pull

Solvent selection doesnā€™t matter, yes certain solvents can cause color change more then others its not something thatā€™s not correctable though

1 Like

Heptane

This was from distillate too not isolate

The color on that liter definitely makes me feel like the pH isnā€™t correct

Looks pink to me

1 Like

Those liters weā€™re off a SPD though right? I can pull a red fraction off the top with SPD and pull that same color. The Roller doesnā€™t pull the fraction off so I either need to figure out how to cut the color to the discharge (which Iā€™m positive it will) or filter through media to pull the red. The acid is definitely neutralized and I do feel the red could have came back after filtering through media because I feel the media whacked the ph so maybe an LLE after filtration to level PH back out

Those were off an spd, I can show you better colored liters off a wiper

Even on spd I donā€™t get a red fraction

What media did you use to filter?

What acid are you using? Ptsa?

Are you neutralizing with sodium bicarb?

Whats your evaporator and condenser temp?

Are you cleaning the wiper good after each run?

Iā€™ve found most ppls problems with color on a wiper come from letting tails co distill which dirtys the discharge side and can make proper color impossible to achieve without a cleaning

3 Likes

@globtek33

What parameters do you use on your yhchem to cut the red out?

1 Like

How does your solution have a ph to change???

Edit: The problem is water.

2 Likes

Even when water isnā€™t present when you use magsil you have to correct pH

I really donā€™t think water is the problem

@Kingofthekush420

Isnā€™t that because of tiny amounts of aqua?

@BrownGuy420

Dry the shit out of it right after LLE. Throw some beads or Mgso4 etc in there and let it soak up all that goodness after your washes, dry your bentonite (where the outer sites are dry not necessarily all) l, and then run it through and see if that helps.

1 Like

I toss magnesium sulfate in it after my LLE to catch any left over water before roto to make sure itā€™s dry. I do toss the bento in the vac oven at 250F over night to dry alsoā€¦ Actually all my media is dried. It looks good in the roto like a nice gold but goes red in wiper, which tell me the ph is off from the media filtration. Maybe filter first the LLE, dry it then roto distill

1 Like

Machine is cleaned regularly because of me thinking that. Yes definitely using bicarb so itā€™s not acid for sure. My evap is 153c and condenser 127c

1 Like

How fast are you feeding it?

Is your mgso4 Epsom or purchased?
Do you dry it out?
How much are you adding after lle?
Letting it sit or stirring?
For How long?
Is it clumped up, epsom size grain, or a fine powder?

What type of clay you running?
How deep of a bed?

1 Like