Currently trying to open up a little hemp dispensary. However, the city and us are having a misunderstanding. Any advice? Should we get legal council?

We are in the process of trying to find a place to open up our Hemp Dispensary/General store. We found a perfect place. However, the governing town is seemingly having a bit of a misunderstanding with this. We showed them pictures of the products we would sell. The person representing the town said that CBD was okay but hemp would be a problem.

We showed them pictures of the hemp flower we were planning on selling and how the layout of the store was gonna look. The representative started saying that they had already made rules that they would allow one cannabis dispensary and that hemp is technically classified as cannabis, so they would not allow it and he would not waste his time talking to me about it until I have a license in hand.

However, a lot of the local gas stations already sell hemp products such as hemp flower and they DO NOT need a license according to our state department of agriculture. From my understanding I DO NOT need a license in our state to open a hemp dispensary. In addition, our state clearly states that while hemp and cannabis are related, the legal definition of cannabis , in our state, does NOT include Hemp.

So at this point the town will approve us a license for a general store. One of our friends who was in a similar situation in a different state said he just opened up the hemp dispensary in his general store anyways even though the city was telling him that they would have to think about it. The city he is in made an issue about the hemp dispensary a few months later after opening it but he had an experienced hemp lawyer who was able to resolve all issues

Anyone else experience any similar issues and how did they handle them? Any advice on how to go about this?

sorry for all the commas. Grammar was not a strong subject for me XD

Bro, did you show them the d8 sprayed flower and d8 cookies carts?

13 Likes

I got a d8 nerds rope sop, goldfish and domino’s cinna Stix, and red lobster biscuit sop , and a outback bloomin onion with dank thcv horse radish

7 Likes

You white label fam? Trying to start a brand

3 Likes

Fucks with them cheddar biscuits and I’m in…

I didn’t use italics on purpose…

5 Likes

Apparently all you need is a gas station.

11 Likes

I spoke with the city planner where I live recently and they simply responded, “yes this space is zoned for commercial activities and retail sales” was all I needed. I made sure in the email to mention a few times this is NOT a dispensary

You really have to clarify to them that this is not a dispensary, and that the products you sell are readily available all over town.

I doubt it’s enforceable too if they want to try to discriminate on your type of retail store opening up because of one persons opinion on what defines a cannabis dispensary. Consider speaking with a lawyer if it’s really that big of a deal for whatever reason

7 Likes

Hey man thank you for the response! My only thing is that while yes its not your typcical cannabis dispensary, I just want to call it a dispensary so it will attract more customers. Am I over thinking this perhaps? Cause the other hemp dispensary 2 hours from us, has been killing it once they added “dispensary” to their name. I was thinking of perhaps calling it a hemp boutique but that wouldnt have the same ring to it as hemp dispensary

3 Likes

Hemp + dispensary

Hempensary

CBDispensary

I’ll take 10%

7 Likes

:sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Nononono Mr. Planner

I’m not opening a dispensary, I’m opening an Ispensary! The spacebar was just broken at the signmakers.

3 Likes

Dealzzzz

1 Like

Damn that’s really good!

2 Likes

Can mr planner even tell me what I can or cant call my store?

1 Like

I’ll even provide you with all the cbd you could ever need :joy:

4 Likes

Quit it you touch too many subjects with cbd and trigger ebeef

2 Likes

I think you mean CBDbeef

5 Likes

Go on?.. xD

I has a cbd hemp chicken farm I’m about to have dinner with

1 Like

The only issue I have had working retail at a store labeled a CBD dispensary, was the endless calls and frustrated customers walking in the door expecting an actual dispensary. You will have the same issue.

If it is worth it to have 10-20% of the people calling and walking in the door expecting it to be something else, then yes go for it. Personally I want each interaction to be as genuine as possible at any cost

Again I really really doubt you need any approval other than, is this zoned for retail sales.

4 Likes