Curing cbd flower, does it require oxygen or not?

Been researching ways to cure buds properly at scale.
Anybody understand the science of curing out there?
Doesn’t seem to be much info out there on large scale curing of thousands of pounds of bud.
All the info talks about glass jars and burping. Obviously that can not scale.
Sounds like throwing humidipacks Products - Integra Products into a sealed bag might do the trick. But I’m finding conflicting info out there as to whether the curing process, to make a smooth smoke, is just a matter of very slowly bringing the moisture content down evenly through the flower. Or if it has something to do with oxygen being needed in small amounts to help break the chlorophyll down.
Sounds like burping a jar is a way of letting out humid air and bringing in a small amount of dryer air, thereby slowly drying the bud evenly.
Some people say that is its only purpose, others say oxygen does something.
If oxygen is really not needed, then it seems like one could take almost anysize container, throw the right amount of humidipacks in there to keep the humidiy at an ideal 62% and not need to burp or open the container for a few weeks or months, until the bud is fully cured.
Do any of you have any science-based understanding on this?
Or any large scale curing ideas that don’t require buying fancy machines that don’t cure thousands of pounds at a time.

Just going off of your title, No. Look into controled atmosphere storage of apples.

2 Likes

Yes apple cold storage is in an oxygen free environment to prevent the apples from breaking down. But the argument for burping and letting in oxygen is so that the chlorophylls do break down.

Tumble curing in totes after a machine trim is what I’m seeing right now, it is apparently how most of the mid scale growers have been doing it

No excuses hemp consulting has been and still is a great asset to me. They helped me with my drying/curing.

I’m a processor, they helped bridge the gap.

NorCal, are you willing to share any tips they gave you?

I could try but that’s beyond my expertise, and I don’t want to tarnish their name. They found a building for me to dry and cure and what i got was able to maintain a great yield and color throughout.

1 Like

Is there really no one with that understands the science behind curing?

perhaps…although that seems unlikely :wink:

I suspect it has more to do with who you’re asking (extraction heavy forum) & how long you’ve waited before jumping to that conclusion (less than 24hrs).

For best results, we extract fresh from the field…and some of us only get to play with the material that someone else screwed up the cure on.

3 Likes

If end goal is smokable hemp from freshly harvested product… are you asking how to dry and scale or how to cure at scale? Separate operations. What scale are we talking here?

1 Like

Yes, end goal is smokable hemp from freshly harvested product.
I’m asking how to cure at scale.
ie. planning on hang drying until its down to aprox 12% moisture. Then bucking, trimming and curing.
30,000 pounds worth.

We suggest curing in modified atmosphere shipping containers. We offer special bulk bags designed for this operation. Also offer large scale drying system.

3 Likes

What is it you want? Did you look into what I told you? It really seems like you are looking for a soup :spoon:

I really think if you do not know how to cure flower your in the wrong business.

3 Likes

Dirteagle,
Where do you offer your “special bulk bags”? Are they like https://truelibertybags.com/
By shipping containers, I assume you mean 40 foot type containers, not plastic tote type.

No way in hell are they like that.

And yes, typically 40’ intermodal reefers with modified atmosphere equipment. Plenty of those available on the market.

I am wanting to understand if I put flower in a large container and control the atmosphere to a perfect temperature and humidity, if there is still a need for burping the container. That is why I am asking if the cure process requires oxygen.

Did you not read my reply to your Apple Storage post? I thought it was a clear reply.

Dirteagle, your post sounded like you were offering these special bags for sale. But you are still being vague about where to get them. So I’m confused.

Yes we offer the bags. Dm me with your contact info and volume needs and I’ll put together a quote for you.

2 Likes