Crop steering grow log

What is pwec?

2 Likes

Predictions of Pore Water EC.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/267353811_Prediction_of_Pore_Water_Electrical_Conductivity_Using_Real_Dielectric_and_Bulk_Electrical_Conductivity_in_Soilless_Substrates

2 Likes

The missing link between input, runoff, and dryback! Yes i knew something like that existed. Excellent

2 Likes

Day 10 of flower I went much heavier on the power si and kelp this run, they for sure seemed to have stretched less do far and they are showing flowers a few days earlier then usual.
I’m hoping the next week they don’t stretch to much so they don’t get to close to my lights this time, I want to stay under 1000 umol.
I’m running 4 separate zones with the following, cereal milk, apples and bananas, Gary Payton and jealousy. They jealousy had been a bitch for me to grow in a zone with other plants since she’s the heaviest feeder I’ve grown with these sensors.
Today my run off ph was a bit low so I need to figure out what’s going on, going in at 5.8 and run off was almost the exact same, I upped it to 6.1 so we’ll see what that does.
Feeding 2.7 ec
81° 64%
Co2 at 1300ppm

I added a few feeds today, these 4x4x4 are getting about 15 irrigations per day, if I didn’t have these sensors I would be fucked lol.

Yesterday I manually opened my apples and bananas valve and kinda forgot it on and flushed about 100 litres through them, luckily they didn’t skip a beat and look good today, they were getting a bit of buildup anyways lol

7 Likes

@Medicine.grower i really appreciate this thread you put together. I’m in the middle of a build and the automated irrigation was a little over my head and felt like a daunting task. I’ve learned from you. The task feels manageable now, Thank you.

9 Likes

So are your shots bigger or smaller from veg?
15 irrigations per day?

1 Like

During veg I run 3% shots during p1 and 6% during p2. Basically the only difference in between my veg and stretch is that during stretch they are drying back 25-30% during p3 vs 15% in veg.

I learnt this run that rockwool likes to be more wet vs dry in veg, if it’s let dry out to much it will not hold as much water and the roots will not fill the blocks.

If you checkout dankems schedule on the Athena website that’s what I’m using for guidelines.

3 Likes

Sitting at day 14 from flip, looks like the extra power si and kelp helped with the stretch.

We just put the third trellis in today and in a few days I’m going to switch to bulk steering, with the 4x4x4 blocks I’m going to need to irrigate before lights on to not let them dry back more then 15%, right now they are getting their last feed 20 minutes before lights off and by 30 minutes after lights on they are drying back 25-30%.

I’ve been debating when to lollipop these, they haven’t been defoliated once except for a few huge fans covering lower bud sites, I know at my micro it’ll be hard to defoliate 1000sq ft rooms so I’m going to try to work towards a grow method that can put out the best quality with the least amount of labour involved.

8 Likes

We were short on labor and I had to defoliate 1500 Sq. feet of canopy myself. I got my mechanics stool, got under that trellis and went to town. By the time I finished 72 plants, it was time to start over again with defoliating. If you hire a wook, you could make it a full-time job.

4 Likes

Day 19 of flower today, I for sure fucked up and let them dry back to far during stretch a few nights and now two of the zones are not holding as much water in the blocks as they should be. The last two days I’ve been checking my run off to make sure I’m getting the correct volume and the lowest I seen was 8.5 ec and most are over 10, the max my meter reads, but the pwec is still in check. So far they look good and I’m going to take a chance and go by pwec and let the high ec run off stay like that as long I’m getting the volume run off I want, we’ll know in 2 weeks if this is the right way to go or not.

11 Likes

Still looking like your best so far my friend

4 Likes

Hey guys I’ve been slack lately with posting updates. I’m not doing much different then my last run, I’m at day 35 of flower in the 4x4x4 rockwool, running 2.7ec 80° 60% 1200ppm.

I’ve realized from last run and this run that transplanting into final block or pot isn’t the right way, this time I vegged for 19 days and then flipped, next run I’m going to try to veg for 12-14 then stack them onto rockwool slabs then flip. I wish I had 4x4x2.5 for veg but I don’t and that will have to be for 2 runs from now.

One thing I’ve realized I’ve been doing wrong for the last few grows is I’ve been growing “sterile” but not using closeb to enough sanitizer, I was just using 2ml per gallon and it was no where near enough to reach 500mv. I’m now just using calcium hypochlorite 24g per 1 gallon of ro, then I’m using 1ml of that per gallon of water and when I refilled my res last time it come out at 587mv, that’s ro water with 0ppm that’s been passed through uv. If I needed to use cleanse it would cost me a fortune.
@emdub27 does this seem like a correct amount of calcium hypochlorite?
I’m finally starting to get a concept down pack and it feels great.

Today is day 35 of flower.

Almost 25 feeds per day, they need to fed a few times during lights off so the moisture content don’t drop too low.

We’ve been working at my micro lp again, I’ll get you guys some pictures tomorrow.

12 Likes

Looking great! I’ve got a lot to learn with this grow log…

1 Like

IS that the payton? do you mind if i post a pic of mine on here? Im just hand watering. Mine is close in date, its a christmas flower i started it.

2 Likes

Hell yeah @thumper go ahead, picture number 4 is Payton, and picture 6 Payton is on the right.

1 Like

Mine are smaller but I just remembered It was grandmas bday i harvested and then on xmas i flipped They start off squinty. But mine are wide so have tons of sites so may be less big nugs.mine will show more than one way to skin a cat, I overvegged and they are huge in terms of numbers of branches.

1 Like

Don’t tease us like that…

6 Likes

You’re in the right ball park. Cal hypo brands vary on available chlorine, but most are 50% to 65% and you’ll notice that lowering the pH will cause the orp to rise. Also recheck after nues are mixed, that will typically cause orp to fall.

Its easiest to sanity check your orp meter by knowing your chlorine ppm. You have 24,000mg of cal hypo to 3785 ml at an assumed available chlorine of 60%. So we have 24000*.6/3785 = 3.8mg of available chlorine per 1ml of your bottle mix. When you add that to water at the rate of 1ml per gallon that is 3.8mg/3.785L = 1.003ppm. 1ppm is completely sane.

Did you check the orp of the cleanse mix you were running before? If that was working for you, I would try to replicate the orp with cal hypo.

One caveat to using oxidizers in top feed is the organic matter in the medium (rock, coco, soil) will “consume” the orp of the starting solution as it travels down the medium. IME it’s pretty hard to kill pythium and other root pathogen outbreaks without dunking or flooding the medium. Chlorine works much better as a preventative.

5 Likes

I learned this one recently and it honestly blew my mind that it was so simple and straight forward like that.

3 Likes

Yes that was my orp after mixing my nutrients, I add my calcium hypo, ph+ then my nutes, it’s interesting to watch the orp go up and down with the ph level.

Either the cleanse I had was watered down or it was degraded because I was just using 2-4ml per gallon as recommended before I got my orp meter, I can’t remember exactly but it was only giving me 200-300mv. To get it to 500mv took over 10ml per gallon.
At that rate 1 x 60$ gallon of cleanse would only treat 378 gallon.
The calcium hypochlorite is 9.99$ per 1kg and that will treat 157,000 litres.

And if I understand correctly it’ll be mostly converted to hypochlorous acid at 5.8-6.0 ph with some added calcium.

1 Like