CRC taste like shit change my mind

Passing thru a layer of neutral ph media at the end would help fix it. Might save our terps too during recovery

5 Likes

3 Likes

Alcohol allows you to see and residue fare better than butane .

Elaborate on this

6 Likes

the real issue is what to do with all our spent medias
Im thinking about picking pottery up as a hobby

11 Likes

This one certainly lists the correct way to set up a filtration over magic dirt…

Which is the way they teach it in chemistry classes last time I checked (admittedly more than 30 years ago).

8 Likes

Nice find. Yes some talk about it but like I said most do not and that’s all I’m trying to fix. Prewash your media folks

1 Like

What if you add one of these at the very end to catch anything that makes it past the 1micron

3 Likes

What if you don’t use acid activated media?

3 Likes

Idk I haven’t experimented with it. But If the residues is from the acid activation idk if that would help

Washing celite 545 I’ve turned ethonal hazy as well so idk

When setting a Buchner filter, you can get powder pulling through making it hazy, but repeatedly moving the same ethanol through the filter will set the filter so that nothing more comes through. You could it to come through clean the first time if your filter at the bottom had fine enough pores.

A proper CRC should either have a fine enough sintered disk at the bottom to keep any solids from moving through, or a staged filter that would do the same.

Ultra-Fine particulate making it into a final product, in an amount that is not even visible, should not worry you. Breathing the air in Cali right now is going to pose more of a harm.

5 Likes

Nothing wrong with that goal.

Seems separable from “CRC tastes like shit”.

5 Likes

That may be true .2 micro may stop it idk. But like you said prewashing fixes it also so I am hoping I the future this will be mentioned in sops

1 Like

Having performed ethanol CRC in a scaled manner from @TheLostBiologist’s tek, I can say that yes, there can be some cloudiness, but really, it was never something I saw. I would get media that passed through as the puck (cake) settled, BUT I could pass the same (polluted) alcohol through the same filter and achieve perfect clarity and no pass-through.

If washing the media is something you are recommending, how is it that I can use the same (admittedly polluted) solvent (usually 3 times to ensure no pass-through) and end up washing it clean? By your logic, wouldn’t these residues you speak of still be polluting the solvent?

(All of this was done woth 190 proof ethanol/no denaturants, and we’ve been talking about/actually doing this for years!)

2 Likes

If you are washing tour media obviously that solvent is designated as dirty and is not to be combined with clean solvent

If you’re not using anything that’s been acid washed. This isn’t a concern, right?

I’ve stated that I filter down to the furthest depth possible.

2 Likes

BUT THAT IS THE WHOLE DAMN POINT OF USING THE MAGIC DIRT! IT CLEANS THE SOLVENT AND/OR EXTRACT!

(sorry for yelling)

2 Likes

Sorry for yelling lol

3 Likes

Also, I might add. Washing your media only rinses the fines at the bottom of the filtration bed. And also has the capability of causing more friction with the media, enabling it to break down more and create more fines, potentially coming along with your actual run. Which you are trying to avoid in the first place. This is a conversation that I had with @Photon_noir a while back

6 Likes