Crc noob questions. Dont want to crowd "original" crc thread with ignorant questions

Forgot to draw in filter/support for crc media. Reason for vaccum pump is i would like to remove need for nitrogen assist and use vacuum assist, since everyone seems to have one since the beginning. Would this setup work? Why? Feel free to run your mouth but explain it to me, please. I wanna learn !

Hopefully pictures uploaded right
0610191225|375x500

1 Like

1 Like

vac assist is only at most 15psi

edit - do you have more stainless gear than your little column/collection pot?

6 Likes

Dude…a nitro push set up is like $150 at prax air for the basic setup…

8 Likes

Vacuum assist does work. I use my recovery pumps to help pull solvent into collection pot through CRC. Also along with the pressure that’s in the system.

5 Likes

Just make sure you’re washing your column through with fresh solvent

1 Like

He doesn’t have a recovery pump idk if that’s considering the same thing for him

The pot being at 80 is going to produce vapor pressure preventing your run from passing through the powders and possibly clogging up. I see u intend to create vacumn with a recovery tank in ice? I would recommend nitro over anything but a pump will work too however those are really noisy and more hardware is needed like extra hoses, filters, and coils. I wouldn’t recommend using that pump like in the buchner funnel tek unless its explosion proof. In the buchner funnel u have very little vapor pressure but in the ss loop u will have a lot and that could easily create an explosion

7 Likes

You dont want to crowd the original thread? :sob::sob::sob::sob:

That thread should be closed and a part 2 should be opened.

16 Likes

I just use a water aspirator to pull solvent through. No explosion risk and pulls through relatively quick

11 Likes

Thank you for helping me!!
Catchment pot would only be at 80° to recover solvent after the run.

1 Like

Even at room temp it will create a good amount of vapor pressure unless u have dry ice around it. Then u would have to switch to a hot water bath to recover. Thats a lot of work. Why dont u want to use nitrogen?

2 Likes

When I started using nitrogen I thought it was gonna be harder. I like to think of it like how oil and water mix and they layer up. When I push nitrogen into my column I imagine it pushing the butane down kinda like wringing water out of a wet rag…then just burp it out…eventually youll get a feel for it…just keep an eye on your gauges have one on your column and one on ur pot and start with 50psi that’s worked perfect for me

15 Likes

Is 5 micron along with celite 545 sufficient enough to stop t5? Cant find 1 micron buna n tri clamp filter/ gasket online anywhere anymore.

1 Like

So you don’t charge your tank? Just push through the column? That’s how I’ve been doing it, for me it’s basically a backup Incase I don’t get enough pressure back into my solvent tank for vapor assist. When you vent how do you tell when you’ve stopped venting n2 and aren’t just venting out solvent with it? Or are you keep your collection super cold?

1 Like

Only vent n2 when you’re vessel your venting from is at proper temp for the fuel to be liquid, I like my IR to read LO(-70ish)… Then your fuel will be zero psi… Vent the charge to zero

5 Likes

Yes I chill my solvent tank first, then once I’m ready I use nitro to push through…I noticed my recovery tank will pull the nitro because I wont see any recovery happening even though its empty and on dry ice…as soon as i open my vapor line on the recovery tank it burps out a good amount of pressure and that’s how I know it’s the nitro because my tank was empty and cold so there is no reason why it should hold pressure. Also as soon as I do that recovery begins and the aggressive sound of the vapors coming in confirm the nitro is out and recovery has began. The burp is only about 5 to 15sec long

10 Likes

Ohhh ok you’re running passive. It seems running nitro assist is more difficult to vent with active recovery

6 Likes

I have my whole collection on quick connects so I might just run a diy chiller and hook up the chiller to my collection, drop the temps, vent nitro, then plug in my heater quick connects and start recovery. That should work right?

4 Likes

Yea as long as your butane is cold enough it should be only nitro being burped

3 Likes