CRC Media Volumes - How do you calculate how much media to use in your CRC column?

Hey All,

Me again. I was wondering how each of you personally calculate the quantity of CRC media per pound extracted that you use for both fresh frozen and dry material. I have gone through several of the large CRC threads and I’m not finding a lot on how much media you are all using and how you come to that conclusion. I’d be happy to be pointed to the right thread if there is one that goes over this specifically, otherwise maybe this can be a thread dedicated to that question.

Thanks,
-Butane

I run 7-11% media to material depending on the material and what im trying to make. Spent alot of rhns doing different ratios and also depends if im running lustermax, media bros etc. just my process and its all dry material.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply, I’m assuming that beyond 11% you were starting to see little to no gain in color and potentially saw additional unnecessary loss of both media and yield?

1 Like

Yes and no, im only running 12-16 tubes a day right now so until i start going half to full speed thats my sweet spot for that many tubes. Mostly material dependent and everything is fresh so it just takes a slight edge off color with out terp or yield loss, atleast nothing noticeable.

1 Like

Yea like humbold said, you can use “% of Biomass Mass” or “Grams Media per LB Biomass” Some people say screw it and work in volume measurements (ie 4 cups media) but by weight is best.

How they are finding those dosages are simply by trial and error. They have a resin that comes out relatively darker than they like and start by increasing their media dosages until they have the color they want.

After so many batches you begin to have set dosages to start with on new biomass that you usually find yourself at.

6 Likes

I’d argue that was going at it systematically rather than “trial and error”, but maybe that’s just me.

You don’t have to do R&D at production scale…

You run a small sample, possibly in a special itty bitty CRC to see. Then scale

But you gotta start some where, and you can always blend or try again with more dirt.

Today, with new media, on a new rig, with new biomass I suggested “3/4 full” which happened to be 1000g of CRX in the 3”x18 or 24? For 6.7kg of older b grade buds that had been stored reasonably well.

Came out pretty close to target.

I would need a longer/larger column or more aggressive media if processing less well treated material.

you’ve probably seen folks running several runs through the same media. Which works until it doesn’t. the first run is often too light, the last too dark. (Also depends on media).

4 Likes

I personally like running about 80 grams total in powders per 1 pound of dried material or roughly .75 grams of powders to 1 gram of expected extract from a normal run. I also run about 8:1 solvent ratio. I’d look more into what the powders you are using are doing for you and tweak the usage of each as needed for desired outcome.

2 Likes

for me personally i like to weigh my media Grams Media/Lb of bio mass. but generally 40-80 grams of media per lb of bio mass… Thats all really material dependent. if i get a lot of a certain strain ill do a test run on it to see how it performs without crc. color, natural terp profile, yield. and then ill adjust my crc from there. then i can see how different i the crc oil is from non crc to see if im pulling terps or losing yield from my crc etc.

3 Likes

What’s your favorite media to remediate color on older flowers? 12-16 months old just trying to lighten up the color from this,

2 Likes

Silica60 / W3 / alumina150. Alumina being the bottom layer

1 Like

Ok perfect, what’s the difference between w3 and w1? Heard good things about them. And about even ratios of each or how many grams of each per lb of flowers? I was going to run them in a 2 x 6" or 2 x 8" spool, and was wondering if that would work good for just running a lb at a time or if i’d need to go 2 x 12" or with something fancier like this.

You put them in layers instead of mixing with clay?

2 Likes

Layering will get more uniform exposure and allow each absorbent to have a chance to work on the solution.