CRC Clogs

I’m gonna have to disagree with you again, by telling people they need to pre-wash you’re adding unnecessary steps to a sop, and that increases the time it takes to do the job.

Traditional chromatography doesn’t have the amount of depth filtration used here.

Everyone keeps saying lab to sound smart, the industry we all cribbed this tek from is the palm oil industry. Pretty damn sure they’re not pre-washing their bleaching clays.

Edit: if we complain about using the correct terms here, it needs to be consistent. Most people here don’t have ‘labs’, you have production facilities. I’m over people using the term lab to lend themselves authority.

I’ve always wondered how much time is spent taking individual fractions and whatnot. Seems quickest to just get ratios to a point where you pull what you want and leave what you don’t.

I’m looking to get maximum yields, with superb quality, as quickly as possible. So my method has been developed with that mindset.

5 Likes

Check this out Search results for 'Color remediation chromatography' - Future4200

I like this one:

@SidViscous is correct, as run, most are not doing chromatography. But chromatography tells you in its very name that it is about separating out color…and used correctly we can separate cannabinoids using chromatography. So working up chromatography in our extraction solvent IS a valid route to pursue imo.

You can’t let the CO2 guys have all the fun

https://www.google.com/search?q=supercritical+fluid+chromatography

6 Likes

Fractions take the exact same amount of time as not collecting fractions because the only actual time involved is your recovery time and it’s the same amount of gas either way.

I’m just pouring for 45 minutes rather than standing there watching solvent boil.

6 Likes

Ok Roberto, you can do your own “crc” of indiscriminately filtering out compounds you haven’t tested for, identified as contaminants or targeted directly. And you can do it in a “production facility” without any regard for final product chemical analysis because you’re just gonna sell whatever you make regardless of how it turns out.

I’ll be over here doing chromatography in my lab and helping people with clogged filters get better results. :v:

6 Likes

45 minutes? How big is your collection pot?

Edit: Also, I’m guessing this means there’s still quite a bit of gas in your solution when you pour then? Or do you recover the majority of the gas before it hits your collection pot?

3 Likes

If she’s pulling fractions then I wouldn’t think that she is doing any recovering of the solvent until after all of the fractions have pulled. (I have no idea if this is true, but I’m just trying to use common sense to line it out.)

1 Like

Yeah I’m a tad bit confused because I’m not getting how you take a fraction and recover the gas at the (same?) time. Unless she is leaving the solution practically full of gas and pouring it through a spout as gas is bubbling off, in which case that sounds like a huge waste of gas to me. I’m inclined to think I’m just super confused though :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I just recently went on a Chromo bender, and watched too many hours of varying types of Chromatography. That being said, the DCVC (Dry Column Vacuum Chromatography) video that I watched showed the man taking fractions. I forget the types of 2 solvent used (hexane and something), but it went from one solvent to the other in terms of scope for the fractions. Then solvent recovery was done on each fraction after that point.
Yeah, I think I’m rightfully confused on how the fractions are pulled and when solvent recovery is performed…

1 Like

The only thing that makes sense to me is to stop the flow of solution into the collection basin, recover the gas, pour the fraction, and restart flow into the collection. Then, stop flow, recover, etc.

At that point you have almost no control over your residence time with the solution in the media, idk though I’m just having fun speculating, lol.

2 Likes

That’s actually a pretty reasonable process of thought. I’m just trying to think about pulling the fractions full of solvent, place fractions in freezer while pulling the rest, and then recovering each fraction separately? If not that way, then I would assume the process you outlined has to be the closest to the actual process performed.
You’re right though, it is certainly entertaining trying extrapolate her exact process!

1 Like

I think she offers classes on her procedure. You guys don’t have to speculate. Just take one of her classes.

9 Likes

Just use a manifold and reroute to different collection pots. Then recover all pots

9 Likes

Meh, speculation is fun and my process works just fine. I am unable to perceive how that class would be beneficial to me, but maybe I’m just arrogant!

3 Likes

Im sure some may have a need for fractions however with no visual to tell when the next fraction is coming the fractions wouldnt really be accurate fractions

7 Likes

no doubt broham…just saying im sure her class explains it all… im trying to understand it as well… im sure all the first few fractions are the majority of the THC. i wonder how much solvent is lost with this tech.

im happy smoking the mix fraction diamonds im smoking now with terps i add in at the ratio i please!

7 Likes

Not certain that’s what @Rowan was up to here: Let's see your set up! - #534 by Rowan

…but that was my take when I first saw it

3 Likes

Well shit, That’s one way to “see” when your fractions are changing!

2 Likes

Exactly. Chromatography is ideally paired with a detector. Spdking claims to have invented the fraction finder, but “fraction detectors” have been around for half a century or so.

Whoops wrong Fraction Finder Reviews thread.

Anyone else following this rabbit might also want to check this search query there are some seemingly neglected threads in there that might be worth exploring

8 Likes

This. Is where my mind went as well. You could be recovering into a separate (from your injection tank) recovery tank after the first switch to clean collection.

1 Like