CRC Clogs

Meh, speculation is fun and my process works just fine. I am unable to perceive how that class would be beneficial to me, but maybe I’m just arrogant!

3 Likes

Im sure some may have a need for fractions however with no visual to tell when the next fraction is coming the fractions wouldnt really be accurate fractions

7 Likes

no doubt broham…just saying im sure her class explains it all… im trying to understand it as well… im sure all the first few fractions are the majority of the THC. i wonder how much solvent is lost with this tech.

im happy smoking the mix fraction diamonds im smoking now with terps i add in at the ratio i please!

7 Likes

Not certain that’s what @Rowan was up to here: Let's see your set up! - #534 by Rowan

…but that was my take when I first saw it

3 Likes

Well shit, That’s one way to “see” when your fractions are changing!

2 Likes

Exactly. Chromatography is ideally paired with a detector. Spdking claims to have invented the fraction finder, but “fraction detectors” have been around for half a century or so.

Whoops wrong Fraction Finder Reviews thread.

Anyone else following this rabbit might also want to check this search query there are some seemingly neglected threads in there that might be worth exploring

8 Likes

This. Is where my mind went as well. You could be recovering into a separate (from your injection tank) recovery tank after the first switch to clean collection.

1 Like

It’s a matter of batch vs continuous. The falling film she is running now allows her to remove solute as it accumulates vs having to wait for recovery.

3 Likes

@710ST. Does the solution she removes full of solvent? And if so, do you know how much solvent loss happens per run… I guess vs how much material per run. Thanks.

2 Likes

Good question. I come along a lot of people that hate on open blast, but then I also see a lot of labs just open blast out their closed loop lol

3 Likes

:joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

seems like thats the way to do it now

1 Like

Its cool to do the hill Billy tek where you blast a Mason jar full of liquid hash and stick in the freezer

Not to be confused with @TheWillBilly tek

6 Likes

All done in a c1d1 room and explosion proof freezer though. The bad happens when billy Joe bob tries to mimick these procedures in a kitchen with a normal food freezer.

:boom::boom::boom:

5 Likes

Yep. Im surprised that guy didn’t blow himself up. But hey thats why its hill Billy tek. They use chest freezers

Pretty sure @murphymurri can’t blast solvent in her lab without setting off the evacuation alarm

3 Likes

I run a custom falling film, there’s exactly as much or as little gas in my oil as I want based on the temp I recover at - just like any falling film.

And everyone gets super hung up on trying to predict fractions but this is totally unnecessary. Just like any other column chromatography you don’t need to know where your fractions are you just need to collect enough of them to be able to identify them later.

I collect fractions by volume of solvent recovered. I get jars of just terpenes, jars of terpenoids and cannabinoids, jars of just wax, jars of just waste, and ultimately that is what gives me complete control over formulating my final product.

You know that lemony/astringent smell most people complain about when smoking dry trim? I get that in one jar and can leave it out of the final product. Easy af. Fractions are not hard to collect - and they aren’t hard to identify either because cannabis oil travels through a clay/silica bed in very predictable ways. A detector would be nice but unless its detecting contaminants I honestly don’t think it will do much more for me than I can accomplish by measuring solvent and volume.

9 Likes

How can you measure when to cut into the next fraction? Measuring the solvent? Wouldn’t every strain be different as they each carry different levels of each fraction? Also wouldnt yield affect how much solvent is needed?

I do not know about that.

Edit: Are you capable of fractioning things like carotenoids or do those come off in your “waste” fractions?

Yup I can pull them in a section that is mostly on their own. They will overlap a little with the stickier cannabinoid fractions with my normal silica/t5 mix. If I use a more acidic column I can force them out a little earlier - which is how I can get really clear crystals quickly because that bright orange slippery oil is out of the way. They are very soluable in butane and propane so they can be manipulated in the column and come out at nearly the same time every run. I’ll try to find a good pic of this and update my comment in a minute.

8 Likes

So I wonder, pulling all these different fractions, is there anything leftover in the media?

I only ask because you mentioned pulling all the way through to a waste fraction. It’s sort of implied that anything left in the media would be waste anyhow, but I wonder because I’ve seen some neat stuff left in media.

7 Likes

Yes, every strain is slightly different. I don’t stop running solvent through my column till oil stops coming out and I maintain 100psi in my column the entire time. I can collect 10 fractions and only 4 of them are unique. Or I can collect 30 fractions and 14 of them will be unique. The more fractions you pull the more unique they will be - and the more separation you can observe. You can also switch gas mixtures during the run to limit waste or target terpenes etc etc. You have SO MUCH control when you can rip your oil apart into all its basic parts.

9 Likes