CRC active butane falling film open source

dammit, I bought a trs pump the week before finding future and now you all say passive is where its at. Its like an hour to get dry ice so il still use it. I got mine used with some upgraded pistons and seals so maybe itll last awhile?

Iā€™ve been accidentally doing this due to how I have everything set up. My main issue is the extract collecting on the sides of my long collection chamber.

I used a TRS for almost 2 years with HEAVY use and only had to rebuild once, and it never broke, just noticed recovery times were slowing. Just make sure itā€™s mounted above your collection. And have a good filter drier before the pump and youā€™ll be good.

1 Like

so a filter dier on inlet and mole sieve on output?

Mol sieve before the pump for sure. Sorry thatā€™s what I meant by filter drier

i HAD IT BACKWARDS BUT ITS ONLY ONE RUN. OOPS CAPS

Youā€™ll be fine if it was just one run

Hereā€™s a lil vid I have saved

14 Likes

As far as mount height its to prevent intaking liquids?

I used pure n butane,

I used a poly science 6160 that states it has 1000w at 0c and a across international C30-10-5L in-line and that has 1250w at 0c

I started with 4kw of heat but realized very quickly that was not close to enough, I got a 13kw on demand water heater, I have a very beefy water pump feeding the water heater

You had to find the perfect balance of input pressure, input flow and evaporator temp to avoid letting too much solvent pass though with out evaporating, or evaporating too much solvent and the oil getting stuck in the evaporator, easy to fix by just blasting a burst of solvent in.

my evaporator a 3x36 tube in shell, I could not go below 100F at about 1 pounds per min feed rate as It would evap too much solvent. I theorize a longer evaporator would allow for for lower temps

On my design the limiting factor was the evaporator, I would max it out at about 2.5lbs a min, more then that and it would not evaporate enough solvent from the input. Could be solved by preheating the input feed.

The interesting thing about this is the unit would pressurized about 30psi and the chillers would sit at about 42F (if my memory serves me correct) under high load but the gas would still condense. Also the trs-21 would only pump liquid gas out of the unit if it was pressurized

Q/A

Most parts were off the shelf besides the top hemispheric reducer on the evaporator that had a 1/4 fnpt fitting welded inside it so I could attach any nozzle I fancied

No build list unfortunately but I think I have one handy, as far as cost I am honestly not sure I had a lot of the parts already and I acquired the rest over time.

Iā€™ll get ya a pic of the back.

@The_Lone_Stiller @Badcookieextracts

Yes sir, two of them paired (only because I had them paired with a fancy manifold I made. It was excessive) @FicklePickle

Correct sir, but I did not use it for that should of but then it would of been another electrical draw lol :roll_eyes:, I used it for collecting the solvent from the crc chamber before evap @Dred_pirate

They are actually designed for it @Apothecary36

9 Likes

I trust them more then a cemp lol

1 Like

Yes exactly

I bet sheā€™d comfortably push past the 2.5 mark with a preheater. Besides the additional current draw. Your condensation side kept up just fine?

And that thing is bad ass

3 Likes

Bad ass is right @Dred_pirate I wanna build one. Thanks for the info @Intergalactic pls keep it coming as you can. Please be exhaustive as you care to be with sharing so we can all start moving to these type of systems!!!

5 Likes

Looks like you are pulling the gasses down through the evaporator. Any reason why you chose to pull from the bottom and not the top? Also, do you have steel wool or something preventing liquid from getting pulled through? Does it pull liquid througj?

1 Like

Kept up at 2.5lbs if I pushed it further who knows if the chills could keep up @Dred_pirate

Honestly if you are going to try this get a distribution plate like we discussed about made, the nozzle I used swirly one did not do a good job at distributing the solvent, but it can not be a mist, if it misted it would evaporate too soon, has to be a droplet coming out of the nozzle. @The_Lone_Stiller

So the system did not pull any liquid over because there wasnā€™t a vacuum source pulling it, I mean there was the trs-21 pumps but they were pretty much just pumping gas. You could visually see the vapor going to the top of the evaporator, maybe because the condenser wasnā€™t cold enough to fully pull over everything that was evaporating hence why the unit would pressurized. I did not pull from the top but it would make the machine much smaller so itā€™s worth a shot! I might break her out and try this config @dabtb

Talking about preheating, it really should be a inline heating (jacketed coil) it would be pointless to heat the entire solvent and I think it would work better.

If you guys have any specific questions Iā€™d gladly answer them I just canā€™t think of more info off the top of my headā€¦

5 Likes

Both would work more efficiently. Raising the empalthy before you go through the coil, which brings it past the BP would help greatly.

And a steady 2.5 is still something to boast about.

5 Likes

Do you get any carry over? Terps in the recovered solvent?

Hereā€™s the propane ā€œwiperā€: GD-1 Rolled-Film Evaporator - Illuminated Extractors

2 Likes

I believe this is the link you wanted

4 Likes