Costs for starting hemp farm

Hi,

This post is directed to the farmers and producers of cannabis. I have been middle manning biomass, isolate, etc for a bit now and now want to start my own farm.

I have land and now have someone in place to farm and maintain a crop.

I will post the costs that the farmer has come up with after doing this for a few years.

Please help me/him out if there are any costs you can think of that we are not accounting for!

• Hemp License
    $500 + ($5 per acre x 9)
    Total = $545

• Land
    9 Acres

• Seeds
    15,000 Feminized seeds
    $15,000

• Multiple Soil Test. $800
    $75 per Test
    $100 Water Test

• Land Til Cost
    $350 Per Acre
    $3150
    **Could be additional cost

• Initial Supplies
    Seedling Starting Trays/Root Balls
    $500

Any input or help is appreciated!

Thank you

9 Likes

Wow, nice! I am always interested in how much will farming cost.
I am doing distillation, so i don’t have much knowledge in farming.
Thanks for sharing!!
Let me know if you are going to distillate some of your product in the future. I am happy to help

4 Likes

Lime to ph,
Ammendments,
Nutrients,
Labor,
Testing,
Additinal license tl transport,
Drying,
Pumps,
Irrigation,
Plastic mulch/straw,
Seed starting supplys,
And budget 20k incase something goes wrong

7 Likes

I have 65 acres and 17 that would be ready to farm…i was lookin around and was told 7000 female seeds per acre and its 1$ a seed i think it was cherry wine strain…would that sound about right?

4 Likes

Depends when u plant. If u plant end of may, u should have 1,700 plants.(5x5 per plant). if u plant in june, 2,700 plant(4x4 per plant). If u plant in july 5k plants (3x3 per plant.
I wouldnt plant more than 5k per acre unless ur going for fiber

7 Likes

Your forgetting labor, unless u plan on planting acres yourself and harvesting by yourself. Youll also need a structure for drying and some sort of bucking machine and perhaps automatic trimmer

8 Likes

Drying, drying, drying.

Once more. Drying.

26 Likes

That is always what people forget about.

I have been wondering about flash freezing on site if the biomass will be used for extraction.

5 Likes

We were planning to plant in may and do 1,500 plants per acre. Also the land we have has not been used in over 10 years and I am told it is certified organic because of this? Also why can you plant more in later months?

1 Like

Labor costs are included in our calculations. I forgot to mention that the farmer will have equity in the business. So he is simply putting in sweat equity.

Thank you for the help!

1 Like

What kind of costs go into drying?

Awesome, thank you for the input! I’ll be sure to go over these!

1 Like

How do you calculate costs for drying?

It is said to be easier maintenence with the later planted smaller bushes instead of monsters that are out of control…and for drying need tons of space with a awesome rack system and air flow…no expert here but have been tryin to dabble in it anyways…

2 Likes

They have less time to grow. So they are smaller…area taken by each plant was explicitly stated.

5 Likes

Depends if you have drying space.

If you don’t, you’ll have to build it.
If you happen to be converting from a crop that required drying (onions? Tobacco) then you don’t first need to build the infrastructure.

I’ve seen folks build out a 40k sq.ft warehouse for growing, and forget to add a drying room…

4 Likes

I doubt it is certified organic simply because it lay fallow.

You may be able to have it certified, if you can document that it was unused, but “certified” implies a certifying authority, if you haven’t talked to said authority, you ain’t certified (go on… ask the cyclopath what he knows about being “certified” :joy:)

3 Likes

i would start with your soil analysis, some plots of land are not worth cultivating.

1 Like

What are your recommendations for drying? Maybe should open a new thread. Hang dry, or machine dry. Temperature and humidity control…

2 Likes

We don’t need no stinking new threads…

Check it: Search results for 'Stinky' - Future4200 :joy:

5 Likes