Costco Rack Mod

Just like it says, cut up and modded a $90 costco rack to hold 4lb custom 6x30 material columns, CRC etc. Constructive feedback welcome.

Took an angle grinder to a few of the shelves to make them accommodate the behringer threaded mounting clamps.

Re-welded the front shelf pieces to the back for structural integrity. Testing the CRC load.

And voila!

20 Likes

Platform looks narrow for what your using it for. I made mine out of wood and its wide so impossible to tip over. Plus that shelving is weak. Mine is on huge castor wheels.

4 Likes

Strap it to the wall

12 Likes

Figured the ballast provided by the solvent tank and collection vessel on bottom shelf would prevent any top heavy tipping scenarios. Each individual shelf says it holds 800lbs weight so I tripled up the brackets.

1 Like

If you don’t need it mobile, tie it to the wall like @The_Lone_Stiller said and it should be good. I have a fuck ton of tools on one of those and it’s holding up fine.

But, like @Baked-All-Day, my little racks are outta 2x4’s. It kicks ass

1 Like

Oh I didn’t realize the Costco shelving unit was that HD. I had 1 that looked similar and was def weaker than yours. If they hold that much weight your good there but as mentioned strapping to the wall would be safest.

1 Like

Is that a tube in shell condenser?

And super interesting that your solvent tank has a bottom “drain” instead of a dipstick! (Not saying it’s uncommon, I just personally haven’t seen one)

3 Likes

Once you find your permanent shelf spots, drill holes thru the rings on the shelf and into the bar. Slide a nut/bolt/washer amd tighten securely. Those black plastic inserts for the shelf/bar spots are weak. I use these same shelves as storage racks.

They are also called restaurant racks.

1 Like

Heat exchanger on the far left there.

Horizontal collection vessel has been a weird plot twist for sure.

I also spot welded each corner of the shelves to the respective pillar so they won’t budge.

2 Likes

I like how your injection port goes downwards at an angle

1 Like

Well I know what I’m doing next month :wink:

2 Likes

I love those thats where all my pumps live on the top shelf

1 Like

the castor threaded rods will bend on you.
replace them with something heavier

2 Likes

I use these casters

1 Like

I got excited I thought you were using pallet racks like the stuff Costco uses as shelving

13 Likes

You can build yourself a real rack from 80/20. I built one exactly like OSS with ready tube. It costed me $146 total from 80/20, and then $20 on casters from amazon. Example of the rack I built:

5 Likes

I built my co2 system around one of those :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Do a tutorial please

2 Likes

Here’s a video:
Ready Tube Tutorial

You can customize and build this as big or small as you want. I used the pre slotted tube and can move the bars up or down anytime I want.

Open wide for the spoon.

For mine I bought:
x4 2ft preslotted tubes
x2 4ft preslotted tubes
x2 Ready Tube 7 Hole - 90 Degree Angled Squared Flat Plate
x6 Standard Tube Insert Kit with Hex Nut
x8 Bolt Assembly: 5/16-18 x 1.750"
x6 Ready Tube End Cap

I bought the square mounting clamps and clamps from OSS.
Square Mounting Clamp
Mounting Clamps

And I bought these casters:
Casters

Overall, I think this ran just under 300 bucks total

15 Likes

That is amazing! Thanks much.

2 Likes